11spd SRAM cassette
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTM540

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: 11spd SRAM cassette Reply with quote

Anyone running the above will have realised how much of a pain they are to clean because the cassette is effectively one part, with all the gear cogs being pinned together .. meaning you cant run the edge of a rag down between them, and bathing it in a container of degreaser/detergent would also be dodgy I'm guessing because of the internal XD Driver thingy that pulls it onto the freewheel hub body, as needs to remain sealed and free moving Confused

I had my rear hub apart tother day for a check/service, and the cassette was a real mess Confused .. cogs were developing little "shoulders" of hard crud along the tooth line which I had to try and scrape off with a craft knife Shocked

Anyone know if bathing the whole cassette in degreaser will penetrate the seals on the XD Driver ?

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
crom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the XD driver from the cassette. That is what I have always done. I then place it in a sonic cleaner for ten minutes.
KTM540

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crom wrote:
Remove the XD driver from the cassette. That is what I have always done. I then place it in a sonic cleaner for ten minutes.

Like a mong, I never even considered it came out Laughing .. Embarassed (scampers off to Google it Embarassed )

crom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just need a chain whip and cassette tool, like every other cassette. It will be tight at first. Remember to add a little grease to the XDdriver threads on reinstall.
KTM540

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are on about the same thing aren't we ?? .. its not the actual freehub body .. but the threaded bit that stays inside the cassette that the tool fits into, and pulls it onto the XD driver (freehub body) and moves independently of the cassette once off the hub
crom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this

DSC_0084.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.38 KB
 Viewed:  2124 Time(s)

DSC_0084.jpg

KTM540

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at that pic, I'm on about the small castellated drive at the bottom (or the smallest gear) where the cassette tool engages, that bit obviously spins inside the cassette to pull in onto the threaded part of the XD Driver .. so its got a seal to keep it clean/free, that's what I'm unsure about compromising if I just drop it into degreaser Confused
crom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say, you want to clean the cassette without ruining the XDdriver. All you need to do is remove the XDdriver and clean the cassette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJcQx6m6Qwc

KTM540

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry .. I confused the issue by referring to the bit I'm on about as the XD Driver, I know its not called that, and I know how to remove a cassette Laughing ... but I don't know how else to explain what I mean, I thought my rambling would do the trick .. obviously not Embarassed

Ok, so forget the XD Driver, and the cassette is off the wheel and driver, but unlike a 10spd cassette, the 11spd doesn't have a separate locking ring, it has an internal threaded collar that turns, the bit where the cassette tool engages, and then pulls the cassette onto the XD Driver when you reinstall it .. the seal for this turning threaded bit is what I mean ?

crom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL this thread.

They are no seals on the cassette just bushings and I have had mine sat in citric degreaser with no damage.

would it not be better to post a pic of the said part, if I'm wrong.

KTM540

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bit, that turns inside the cassette, presumably it is sealed Confused

11spd.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.36 KB
 Viewed:  2098 Time(s)

11spd.jpg

crom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not a seal, it is a retaining bush for the locking ring. You will not damage that in cleaning.

We got there, yippeeee.

Have a good day mate.

Last edited by crom on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTM540

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine, you can engage the cassette tool, and can turn it inside the cassette ... this is what pulls it onto the Driver as I said
crom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM540 wrote:
On mine, you can engage the cassette tool, and can turn it inside the cassette ... this is what pulls it onto the Driver as I said

Your good to go, you will not damage it from any cleaning products.

KTM540

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crom wrote:
That is not a seal, it is a retaining bush for the locking ring. You will not damage that in cleaning.

We got there, yippeeee.

Have a good day mate.

Laughing .. ok, right .. I thought it would be sealed as it still turns lovely and smooth with no gritty sound, despite the cassette being filthy .. that's easy then Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: