2015 stumpy main axle? Please help me.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scooby-Si

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: 2015 stumpy main axle? Please help me. Reply with quote

Hey all,

Got a problem I can't seem to sort. Sad The main axle,(one above the crank) on my 2015 stumpy is loose. It came loose at bikepark Lengries, (which is awesome by the way Very Happy ), and the head of the bolt started to pop out. I pushed it back in and retightened and all was good.

Was good for the rest of the trip and for 500 odd miles of trail centre rides after. Now it's come loose again and won't tighten. It also won't undo either, it just spins. I can't seem to find a way to remove it.

Is it possible I've snapped the axle? Do they snap? How do I fix/remove it? I currently can't afford to take it to a bike shop so I'm looking for any help I can get please. Embarassed Embarassed

Really hoping someone knows what I'm on about and can help.

Thanks for reading.

Si.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Attila

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the one you are talking about, it came loose on my '15 stumpy at bike park wales!

are you trying to turn it with an allen key? if you are trying to turn it by hand there is a collar which spins freely around the outside of the bolt head.
Also if the bolt has come unscrewed from the frame (check on the non drive side to see if you can see the bolt in there) then the linkage may have moved stopping the bolt from either being pulled out or pushed back in. It would spin freely but not go anywhere, try taking the wheel off when the bike is in a stand and moving the chainstay section to re-align it.
Option 3 is the worst case, if the bolt has snapped then you will need to take it somewhere to be removed, they will have to prise the head off the bolt then drill and tap the snapped piece. If you are half handy with tools then you can do it yourself but I would recommend taking it to someone who knows what they are doing, its easy to mangle it...

My money is on the bolt being loose and the linkage moving, its a pain in the a**e to align properly and unless its perfect it just will not go in...

'15 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp 29er
'14 Claud Butler Torino SR4
'14 Whyte 629
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: