20mm thru axle forks dilemma
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenCrossley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: 20mm thru axle forks dilemma Reply with quote

Ok, so first of all, hi, this is my first post.

And ill start from the top.

After riding my old cheapish bike for the past few years and replacing nearly all the moving parts in the process, I decided its time for something new, a bit lighter and a bit different.

I thought id have a go at pretty much starting from scratch, with the intention of using some of the newer parts off the old bike (deore deraillers, shifters ect)

I managed to snap up a nice downhill saracen alu frame and some zoom forks, which for the price seem alright. (i payed 50 quid in all and got a headset, tioga seatpost, 180mm front disc brake, front hub and a crankset aswell, and they seem in great condition)

Got them home and realised the forks only take a 20mm axle'd hub or whatever, so ive done a bit of reading, and im wondering if there is any way i can get an adaptor or something that would let me use standard (what is it, 13mm or something?) hubs/wheels, or wether im going to have to buy a new 20mm wheel, Ive never built a wheel in my life and i have a pretty tight budget, can probably spend 60 as a maximum top limit (that was going to be my limit for front and back wheels haha)

(i do have a 20mm front disc hub but i cant see any name on it)

Thanks if you read this far, and thanks for any help in advance.

Ben

(i have posted this in another forum, not to make it sound impersonal, i am unfamiliar with MTB forums so info would be nice Smile cheers)

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
badblood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all welcome to the Forum.

What sort of riding will you be doing? If you are not doing anything too heavy, why not just stick the forks and wheels off the old bike on for now until you can afford to upgrade them? There is a guy on the For sale board giving away a set of forks but he is in Scotland. TBH the Zoom forks are not that good so I would save my money to upgrade when you can afford some forks and wheels to go with them for now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The riding would be primarily getting me around town and that, but i would like to get into some downhill/mountain biking, there are a fair few woods and that around here which I've heard are good for biking and that.

I guess i could stick with the forks but they are massive triple clamp things, which weigh a ton - something im trying to avoid. Also, the rear wheel was something i was definately going to replace, axle is bent and its an old style screw on, with a 7 speed hub - i have 8 speed shifters. And the front wheel isn't much better, it wobbles and that, i just want to avoid them completely haha.

I am drawn to these zoom forks, im not sure whether its because they are so much better than my old ones, which are Zoom forks and pretty cheap and rubbish, or because they are adjustable and just seem so much better quality than im used to.
I think they are here:
http://www.hlcorp.com.cn/hlqc/pro.asp?LarCode=HLQC&MidCode=ZOOM
Flight1000, not sure which ones.

Nothing on the net about these

Any reccomendations on new forks then if that seems the best idea? dont want to spend more than 100 ideally.

Thanks
badblood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little bit over, but these yu will not go wrong with

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Marzocchi-22-R-2009-Suspension-Fork_19769.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ive looked at this, and i think getting hold of a front wheel with 20mm hub would be the best deal, as new forks with the 20mm axle seem to be fairly cheap compared to standard dropouts, if i were to upgrade again in a few months.

I'd be spending around 20-30 more to get hold of a wheel which would fit, compared to 110 for forks, im not sure i can assemble a whole bike if i make that move, bearing in mind i was buying new wheels regardless.

Thanks
Ben
badblood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what 20mm forks have you been looking at out of interest? As I wouldn't have thought they would be any cheaper.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh i looked at a few but they were were going for more than i thought in the end.

The plan is, new forks, then pretty standard wheels. any reccomendations on second hand forks rather than going for brand new? or is it worth spending the money on new

taa
BenCrossley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29942

but then again, i wouldnt mind saving 35 if these arent too bad:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=21563

And to get some wheels then, any reccomendations? ideally i dont want to spend 80 for a set, this really is a budget ride.

Cheers
x
badblood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant go far wrong with either forks, the zocchis have a great reputation for fit and forget along with a plush ride so I would go for them myself. If you are running rim (V) brakes then these are a god bet:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=943&categoryId=99

if you need disc compatibility the these:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=318&categoryId=93

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just stick these on for now, all it will cost is courier charges, it will then allow you more to get a decent set of wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be using discs, those deore wheels look pretty good, but do they only take the shimano discs?
badblood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is the only issue, you would need to buy some shimano splined discs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: