advice on using a turbo trainer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
European Bob

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: advice on using a turbo trainer Reply with quote

Hi guys I am looking for some advice from all you fit and healthy guys (god that sounds gay ), I have just started using my turbo trainer and while I think its good what I am doing I want to make sure I am using it effectively .

At the moment I am following some beginner spin class vids from YouTube 15-20 min work outs as I plan to use THE BITCH (my new name for the bike and trainer ) in a morning before work .

so time is around 20-30 mins max would this be a good place to start to improve hart and lung fitness and stamina ,or would I have to throw in some long sessions as well as getting as much outdoor riding as I can .

CUBE ATTENTION 2013

ORANGE SUB5 2003 1x10 (34tf-42trex-11 rear)

2013 ON-ONE Inbreed SSFR 34-18

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
giantAstax

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: advice on using a turbo trainer Reply with quote

Chrisf66 wrote:
Hi guys I am looking for some advice from all you fit and healthy guys (god that sounds gay ), I have just started using my turbo trainer and while I think its good what I am doing I want to make sure I am using it effectively .

At the moment I am following some beginner spin class vids from YouTube 15-20 min work outs as I plan to use THE BITCH (my new name for the bike and trainer ) in a morning before work .

so time is around 20-30 mins max would this be a good place to start to improve hart and lung fitness and stamina ,or would I have to throw in some long sessions as well as getting as much outdoor riding as I can .

I am no kind of expert but this has worked/is working for me and I have done a lot of reading on the subject and talked to better athletes than I will ever be.

It's also important to 'mix it up' a bit as the body get used to the same level of effort or kind of activity pretty quickly so you need to change what you do quite often if you want to keep making progress. You need some base fitness which you typically get from longer rides at mid to lower intensities and you need some tough sessions too. Personally I do 75% of my fitness in the gym as it's easier to control (rather than riding outside) but you could do this at home with a 'turbo'.

You should also try to do regular core work and some resistance, particularly compound lifts if you are serious about fitness for cycling.

As for your 'turbo'.......

If you've only 20/30 mins available then your best bet is HIIT (high intensity interval training) but you really need 30 mins as you should do a proper 10 min warm-up and a decent cool down of at least 5 mins.

2 options with HIIs, either short long or long short. You also need to decide if you will do the same internal length or varied.

Option 1. 20 sec flat out sprint, 1 min rest. Repeat for 4 or 5 times. You can also vary the sprint length to 30 secs if you wish.
Option 2. 1min hard as possible, 15 to 20sec rest - do this 4 or 5 times. Again you can push out to 90 secs or even 2 mins for some of the 'reps' but you need to keep the rest periods small.

So, 10 mins warm up, 6 to 12 mins 'effort plus rest' and 5 mins cool down. Less than 30 mins. Do not try to do more than 5 reps. If you can, you ain't working hard enough.

Also you can't really do this every day but 30 mins isn't long enough for a lactate threshold or VO2max sessions (you need an hour or more including warm up/cool down) or an 'easy rest day ride' (you need a couple of hours).

Another options might be to do some ramped 'power' intervals where you focus on sustained effort under increased or increasing load but this is hard to do without access to a power meter and you really need 40/50 mins - 10 mins warm up, 5 cool down and at least 20 mins of sustained or ramped effort.

This is what I do but I do it in the gym on a spin bike which has a power meter (of sorts).

Finally, your fitness only improves as you recover/when you rest so have at least one or two days where you do little or even nothing or else you won't see much improvement.
Gunner

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One routine I do recommend to people taking up aerobic exercise is this one, no heart rate monitor required but its great if you do have one as it lets you accurately gauge your RPE scale and brings consistency to every session of this that you do.

It's only short but very effective, for lots of reasons, and it's easy to make longer by adding "blocks".

1. Warm up the first 2 minutes at Intensity Level 5
2. Minutes 2-3 move from Intensity Level 5 to 6
3. Minutes 4-5, 6-10 and 11-14 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 9, maintain for one minute.
4. Minutes 15-19 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 10 (High Point at Level 10), maintain for one minute.
5. Minute 20 cool down to Intensity Level 5 for one minute.

Workout over..........

Here's how it would look in longhand...........:

RPE stands for RATE of PERCIEVED EXERTION where 5 is easy and 10 is all out.

Minute 1.......Ride at RPE (intensity level 5
Minute 2.......Ride at RPE (intensity level 5
Minute 3.......Ride at RPE (intensity level 6
Minute 4.......Ride at RPE (intensity level 7
Minute 5.......Ride at RPE (intensity level 8
Minute 6.......Ride at RPE (intensity level 9
Minute 7.......Ride at RPE (intensity level 6
Minute 8.......Ride at RPE (intensity level 7
Minute 9.......Ride at RPE (intensity level 8
Minute 10.....Ride at RPE (intensity level 9
Minute 11.....Ride at RPE (intensity level 6
Minute 12.....Ride at RPE (intensity level 7
Minute 13.....Ride at RPE (intensity level 8
Minute 14.....Ride at RPE (intensity level 9
Minute 15.....Ride at RPE (intensity level 6
Minute 16.....Ride at RPE (intensity level 7
Minute 17.....Ride at RPE (intensity level 8
Minute 18.....Ride at RPE (intensity level 9
Minute 19.....Ride at RPE (intensity level 10
Minute 20.......Ride at RPE (intensity level 5

European Bob

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys all good advise

CUBE ATTENTION 2013

ORANGE SUB5 2003 1x10 (34tf-42trex-11 rear)

2013 ON-ONE Inbreed SSFR 34-18
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: