April Forum Ride 09. Report and Pictures.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: April Forum Ride 09. Report and Pictures. Reply with quote

What a cracking morning, again. Very Happy Very Happy

The weather seems to be making up for last years atrocious attempt at a Summer. Laughing Laughing

Arriving at Gribdale Gate the sky was blue, and there was again, hardly a trace of wind, and although it was slightly chilly, I was clad in shorts and just a long sleeve jersey.

While everyone was getting kitted up I managed to sneak the camera out and get a shot of my Scott.......... Laughing Laughing

CHATTING BEFORE THE OFF AT GRIBDALE:

It was a decent turnout for todays ride with Ged managing to get over and Richard bringing his son Daniel down to ride with us, (very well he did to)
Embarassed Embarassed

As last week we set off up towards Cooks Monument then bore left to take us down at a fast pace into Kildale. Through Kildale and then the tough climb of Park Nab. JohnC was doing very well on this climb today, he usually sits at the back on this ascent but today was leading the charge for the top, in fact John was climbing very well throughout the ride.

Getting the top of the climb at the gate, it was good to see Ralf waiting for us. Very Happy
We stopped here for a re-group and a brief rest.

REGROUPING ATOP PARK NAB CLIMB:

GRANT MAKES THE TOP:

FOLLOWED CLOSELY BY GED:

Pushing on from here we crossed Battersby Moor, then Ingleby Moor, heading for Armouth Wath. It was moderately warm now and the visibility was fantastic with superb views across the moor. Unfortunately Richard began to experience some mechanical problems here with his indexing. His bike had only just come back from the bike shop too, isn't that always the case. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

With the wind at our backs we crossed the moors at a good pace descending the fast trail into Armouth very quickly.

JOHN STARTS THE CLIMB OUT OF ARMOUTH:

FOLLOWED BY RICHARD:

DANIEL COMES THROUGH:

GED LOOKS "TENTATIVELY" AT THE CLIMB OUT OF ARMOUTH!!!:

AND HE'S UP IT LIKE A MOUNTAIN GOAT..... Laughing Laughing

Once back up on the moor tops we quickly gained our speed and were soon on our way round to Baysdale Moor.
Stopping to re-group it was clear that Richards indexing was getting to him and that Grants legs were starting to tire after yesterdays punishing road ride.

Setting off again, we were now on one of the fastest off road parts of the ride, and caning it down to Hograh Beck. This is a great peice of fast, bouncy track, which done the other way is a real grind I find.

Crossing Hograh Beck, we were now on the Skinner Howe path, which today was lovely and dry, a very rare thing. This is quite a tricky little route to do at speed as there are lots of little gullys and rocks at obtrusive angles, but Ralf was certainly giving it his best shot, and I wasn't going to let him get away with that. Wink

CROSSING HOGRAH MOOR ON SKINNER HOWE PATH:

DANIEL DECIDES ON THE MOOR RATHER THAN THE TRACK:

GED ADMIRES THE SUPERB VIEWS FROM THIS TRACK:
HE THINKS HE CAN SEE AN ICE CREAM VAN...............

Dropping off this lovely little trail we hit the road and dropped down into Hob Hole, where there was surprisingly little water in the ford. Shocked

A steep climb out of the valley, and after re-grouping again we turned left to follow the bridleway to Baysdale Abbey. Again this stretch was very dry and very fast and I was able to put the Scott through its paces here.

Stopping for a rest at the ruined farm, Richard and Grant were tiring, and although Daniel should have been tired he wasn't.

RESTING AT THE RUINS:

After resting at the ruins we moved on for Baysdale Abbey, always a tricky section this due to the large bogs covering this part of the moor, and true to form we had a few "incidents".

A shout went up from Ged as his front wheel dissappeared beneath a sea of moss and I think so did most of his leg.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Swift downhill at the end of this section, where Richard had a little more mechanical trouble, as we crossed Baysdale Beck and headed for the Abbey. And yes, you guessed it, the steep climb out of the valley.

Again, Richard and Grant seemed to really struggle with this climb which is quite unlike them, while Ralf and I dug in and powered up it, with Gouldy, John, Ged and Daniel not far behind us.

Fast, long tramac descent to Kildale, with Ralf leading the pack and me struggling to catch him, luckily I managed to pip him on the middle section but it was close. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Regrouping again at the bottom, Ralf turned off for Rudby and we headed through Kildale for the final climb, and a very steep one, through Bankside Farm.

Gouldy had been climbing well today also, and he was at the front with me on this climb, with Daniel close behind us. Richard and Grant were really finding this one tough. Heading into the woods at the top of the climb we took the singletrack on the right down through the trees to come out on the road above Gribdale and the cars.

A very enjoyable ride, and a very enjoyable route and you couldn't have asked for better weather for April. Very Happy

Total time out, about 3 hours 30 minutes.

Wink

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
mrdavecook

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: ride Reply with quote

cant wait till next ride i will def be there looks great good pics
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

top report and pics gunner....

the weather was crackng all mornin, but did get chily at the end...

we were out for almost 6 hours Shocked

i was killing my team m8 up the climbs at hamsterley but he had me on the down hills... i crashed about 4 times, getting loads of cuts, with blood running everywhere, looking rather cool...

i had a snake bite after a drop of, and then my m8 wor a hole in his front tyre, so we cut a tube up and covered the hole, ...

was a cracking ride...
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also crashed on the new north shore section near the wall at hamsterly...

and the new section of the black route is coming on cany... although it rides a bit loose...
johnc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cracking ride today lads, weather was excellent, another good enjoyable route.

What you got planned for may gunner Smile
Gouldy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnc wrote:

He has on sorted for the 19th April Very Happy

Great ride today, hard at times but worth every minute of it, Very Happy Laughing Evil or Very Mad

Hope the young lad got his old man home okay so he could have his dinner as he was looking a bit tired today Very Happy Laughing

Ged will be getting some new trainers as they may be smelling a bit boggy after today Wink

Thanks lads and kids for great morning Very Happy

Upforit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ride today guys, spoilt only by my body and my bike Very Happy Very Happy
I'm pleased to report that Daniel did indeed see his old man home safely Very Happy Very Happy I'm not going to live that one down with Dan for a while. Still there's always next week.
Loved the write up & pics Gunner, you're a star Cool Cool

I'm off now to take up downhill with assisted return, see you soon Wink Wink

Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upforit wrote:

I'm pleased to report that Daniel did indeed see his old man home safely

You should be proud Richard, I think I forgot to mention he was the first one back to the cars, beating us all............... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnc wrote:

I'm hoping to do something round Cod Beck Reservoir and over to Hawnby, John. Wink

grant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ride today lads
was really struggling as well up those bloody hills which i normally get up ok like gunner said was prob something to do with ride yesterday and not riding for the last three weeks ,
cheers lads
and gunner good route and a good write-up as usual Wink

[/url]
paradox1509

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent report as always Gunner... I was just thinking what a beautiful place to ride In, we are very lucky Very Happy
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paradox1509 wrote:
Excellent report as always Gunner... I was just thinking what a beautiful place to ride In, we are very lucky Very Happy

We certainly are very lucky to live so close to so many great trails over such beautiful moorland.

One thing I try with the Forum Rides is make them over routes that are crossed by lots of other routes at various points, thus enabling any riders who ever feel like going home and getting a map out the ability to think out a new or differing route based on the one we've done.

Mally

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely seem to be getting the weather on the forum rides of late.

Great time for such a tough ride.

Sounds like richards got a tough couple of weeks until his next outing to try and win back some bragging rights from his son Laughing

Hopefully see you at claybank
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damm Shocked Shocked

the rain has just arrived at my place Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
paradox1509

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great! that means it wont be long before it's our turn Rolling Eyes

I will still be out tomorrow Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: