August Forum Ride No.2. Review and Pictures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: August Forum Ride No.2. Review and Pictures. Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who could make todays ride, it was, without doubt, another cracker. Very Happy Very Happy

Arriving at Gribdale it seemed that it was going to be a nice day, regardless of the forecast of heavy rain I had been seeing all week. The wind was strong however but it was warm and dry and that was all that mattered.

Gouldy and Darren were already there, and as I unloaded my bike and got ready it turned 0900 and we set off.

Darren was riding his Scott Spark 30 and Gouldy was on his Specialized FSR XC.

We headed up the climb to Cooks Monument, and my legs felt quite good despite my road ride yesterday and the climbing I did.

DARREN AND GOULDY COME INTO COOKS MONUMENT:

A QUICK STOP TO ADMIRE THE VIEW:

The views from Cooks were stunning, and after a quick stop to admire them we headed off down the steep singletrack which was very overgrown with bracken and into Mill Bank Wood, which we travelled through at high speed to come out Sandbed Cottage.
A quick tarmac desent into and through Kildale to meet Ralf waiting at the bottom of the climb to Park Nab Very Happy

This climb was hard work today, not least of all because of the extremely strong headwind blasting into our faces, but we were soon at the top and again admiring more veiws.

DARREN AND GOULDY STRUGGLE UP PARK NAB INTO THE WIND:

DARREN COMES THROUGH:

GOULDY FOLLOWS:

THE OBLIGATORY "ARTY" SHOT OF MY SCOTT:

TAKING A BREATHER:

After a breather we took a fast, rough tarmac descent to Baysdale Abbey at high speed Very Happy , and then turned through the gate and across the feild to climb to Middle Head Intake.

This is a steep, demanding, grassy climb that enters the woods for a short way before coming out onto a rough shooting track that crosses Middle Head. Gouldy was defeated by the severity of the climb half way up but the rest of us managed to make it to the gate, with Ralf and I pushing most of the way into the wood before having to dismount.

ATTACKING THE GRASSY CLIMB:

Once out of the forest and onto the trail crossing Middle Head, we were again at the mercy of the wind, which was once more headlong in our faces, along this long, grinding climb. What was surprising though was the speed which we managed to cross this demanding stretch at without realising.

A right turn and we were crossing Middle Head Top and heading for Burton Howe, I had hoped that at this point the wind would have been behind us, but it wasn't, and again this section was hard work, but strangely enjoyable.
Stopping at Burton Howe to re group, we took in the fantastic views that the elevation here allows. Very Happy

THE SPARK AT BURTON HOWE:

DARREN AND GOULDY COMING IN:

A CHAT AND A BREATHER:

STUNNING VIEWS:

From here we led onto the Cleveland Way for a short distance and then crossed the Moor to the Incline top.
A super fast descent followed down to the gate, where we stopped to watch 2 young riders on their ascent of the Incline. Shocked

Back on the bikes and another super fast section down to the bottom, and then we followed the main trail along to Bank Foot, where we turned to climb Turkey Nab.

This is another very steep and demanding climb, and I'm pleased to say that Ralf and I almost made it to the top, stopping within inches of each other on a steep rocky section not far from the top.
From here, we crossed the moor via the singletrack to take us to the Cleveland Way. This in all honesty was probably one of the hardest parts of the ride, not particularly steep but the wind was again head on in our faces and at super strength. Steering across this section can be awkward at the best of times due to the little drops and gulleys by the trailside but in this wind. Rolling Eyes
Looking back across the moor I'm sure I saw Gouldy and Darren having a few little "offs". Laughing Laughing

THE TRAIL ACROSS BATTERSBY MOOR:

DARREN HAS A LITTLE "OFF"

Onto the Cleveland Way and finally the wind at our backs for a fast run along to meet up with the road and then a super fast descent of Park Nab which we had climbed earlier in the morning.

Once at the bottom, we said goodbye to Ralf as he turned left to head for Hutton and home and we turned right to pass through Kildale and then take the long steep climb through Bankside Farm, which I almost though was going to see Darren off at one point.
Laughing Laughing

Once at the top, we turned into the forest and followed the fire road through the trees for a fast descent back to Gribdale and the cars.

A really enjoyable mornings riding. And what made it even better was that the conditions were so dry under tyre, that we would only have to give our bikes a wipe over with a damp rag to remove the dust from the trails. Very Happy Very Happy

18 miles.
8.0 mph
2 hours 14 minutes riding time

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
grant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you's had a good ride today ,
good write-up and pics gunner .
never managed to get out at all today even on road bike come down with some sort of bug don't want to go into detail with it been tea-time.
cya's soon
grant
Gouldy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard ride today just seemed to climb and climb but enjoyed every minute of it and the wind was always in our faces. Great ground conditions and fantastic views will have to do it again soon Twisted Evil Wink

Great report and pictures as normal gunner, Ralf,Darren thanks for the great company especially Darren for staying at the rear with me Very Happy

Thanks again to all

Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant wrote:

never managed to get out at all today even on road bike.

grant

Hard luck Grant.

We were thinking that you guys on the road would be having one Hell of a tough time today as that wind would have been right in your faces for most of the ride.

hugo15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:

We were thinking that you guys on the road would be having one Hell of a tough time today as that wind would have been right in your faces for most of the ride.

We were think the same about you guys climbing up Park Nab into the wind Wink .

It was bloody hard work for the first half into the wind today, which was then not much use to us when we turned as we were climbing most of the time.
ralf
MTBE Supporting Member
MTBE Supporting Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really enjoyed the ride and company. pity about the wind.
67km in all.
4hrs 24mins .
about 1200m climbing.
max speed 62kmph {down park nab}
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were certainly caning it down Park Nab Ralf, I was having to try to catch you, I would have if I hadn't overcooked it into that sharp left hander about a 1/3rd of the way down. Laughing Laughing
darrenvt2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys for a good ride yesterday couldnt do any training today as my legs were knackered but all part of the fun Twisted Evil been too long since i was last on the bike will miss the next ride as on my holidays but lookling forward to the next outing
Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked it Darren. You've got to admit it's a good hard route with lots of climbing and to be fair we did it in a good time. Very Happy

No wonder your legs were aching a bit Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: