Bar ends
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c150student

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Bar ends Reply with quote

Hi guys, Im new here, so go easy Smile Looking forward to learning more about bikes, and also hopefully get more involved in the biking scene!

Anyway, I've had an old second hand bike for a few months, but a few days back decided to treat myself and get a brand new bike... y'know, one with brakes that actually reduce your speed when you apply them, gears that engage properly, and the like.

The only problem is, my old bike had bar ends on the handlebars, whereas my new bike doesnt. Im guessing from what Ive read over the internet, that bar ends arent really liked that much in the biking world, but it now feels weird riding without them. The ones on my old bike clip on, kind of like these: http://www.allproducts.com/manufacture97/bevintl/product3-s.jpg

But if I were to transfer them from my old bike, I would have to move along the gears, brakes and grips, and then attach the bar ends. Either that, or cut off part of the grips (which, as the bike is only a few days old, Im a bit reluctant to do!)

I have, however, seen these on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX: IT&item=280281273456

From the looks of it, these simply fit into the ends of the handlebars. I have something covering the ends up at the moment, but this looks to be a bit of plastic, which should be easy to remove. Does anyone know whats involved in fitting this type of bar end, and whats the pros/cons of these as opposed to the usual type?

Many thanks in advance

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum! Very Happy

I've tried a pair of these a few years ago and TBH, they moved about a bit even when tightened up very hard. They seemed to have a serrated insert to grip, so don't have the exact contact of a set that grips externally and more precisely.

Try just loosening the grip with WD40 and compressing it by tapping on an external bar and and tightening it.

HTH.
Abzz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you would answer this one Steve Wink

I think you should explain to Mr Student that he will be risking the wrath of the MTB fasion police as bar ends have been deemed last year and been replaced with riser bars Wink Laughing

Never used them myself, are they just an uphill aid or did they have another use?

Steve Kish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abzz, I'd be lost without mine. Invaluable when standing up on the hills albeit taking a bit of weight from the back tyre.

However, as I do lots of road miles on mine, they also act like an extension. On a road bike, you have different places to hold (hooks, lever tops and near the stem) but without these on an MTB, you just have one position. Sad
Abzz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had always thought they were the equivelent of road bar lever tops.

I must admit when using my MTB on the road in a head wind i hold the bars near the stem to try and get a better shape for the airflow, not sure if it helps though Laughing

Steve Kish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some extensions, fellah. Cool Angle them kinda low and you can almost use them as tri-bars into the wind. Very Happy
Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c150student.

Hi, I'd go for the clamp on bar ends rather than the inserts, you'll find they are much more secure. It really is a simple process to fit them, simply loosening the brake/gear clamp and pushing it along a tad, then just cut the very end of the grip off and slide it along.

Fit clamp on, then push everything back, hard up against the clamp on, and grip, and re-tighten.

Are you getting your new bike from a shop, couldn't they do it for you as a freebie for getting it from them Wink

Steve Kish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
cut the very end of the grip off and slide it along

The easiest and most precise way to do this is to just firmly tap the end of the handlebar with a wooden or rubber mallet - the end of the handlebar will just cut through the rubber end of the grip. Smile
c150student

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I should have pointed out early on that the bar ends are not for fashion at all :p For me, they really help when going up hills or when I want to get some power down... standing up and holding onto the bar ends. Even when riding normally, I tend to find myself holding onto the bottom of the ends. That hand position feels more natural and comfortable for me.

I think you've persuaded me to go for the clamp on bars. These are the type that were on my old bike, and they never budged.

If I could, however, I'd like to pick up on this comment:

Quote:
The easiest and most precise way to do this is to just firmly tap the end of the handlebar with a wooden or rubber mallet - the end of the handlebar will just cut through the rubber end of the grip.

I have seen quotes like this on several internet sites, but cant quite seem to grasp what it means. I would have thought the best way would be to move everything on the handlebars inwards slightly, and then cut any extra off from the grip as necessary using a craft knife or something. Surely the grips would be moved further away from the ends of the handlebars, so how would the end of the handlebar cut the grip? I'm sure Im missing something really simple.

Thanks again
Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the method of trimming the very end cap of the grip off with a very sharp craft knife. Lot more precise and you can cut exactly how and where you want to cut. At the end of the day, you ideally want the grip to retain its length as you are not narrowing your palms, you are still wanting the same grip width. Also some grips nowadays are quite thick or quite flexible and would take some impact before or even if the mallet option worked.

Wink

Steve Kish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have seen quotes like this on several internet sites, but cant quite seem to grasp what it means

OK, move the brake/shift levers slightly inwards by about 15mm towards the stem so that there is a 15mm gap between the levers and the grips.

Then remove the grips (might need some lube for this) and whilst still lubricated, re-fit them whilst trying to stretch them right up to the levers. This will stretch them a bit and will make them tight against the hollow end of the handlebar.

Keep them stretched and hammer the end of the bar and it will cut a perfect circle in the rubber end of the grip, thus allowing them to slide up to the levers.

Remove the grips and clean off the lube from these and also the bars. (When re-fitting, use ladies hair spray - this acts like a lube to fit and then dries to a glue to prevent movement).

For the extensions to fit exactly, measure the thinnest part of the extension that fits over the bar, usually about 10-12mm. Deduct about 2mm from this.

Spray the hairspray inside the grips and re-fit the grips so that a 8-10mm gap is exposed at the extension end. Then slide back the brake/shifter levers until touching the grips.

Fit the extensions so that the thinnest part is flush with the bar - this squashes up the grip by the 2mm so that crud doesn't get trapped between grips and extensions.

Angle the extensions to suit and tighten up. Straighten the grips before hairspray dries and leave a short while.

Job done!
c150student

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Steve Smile

I found some proper clamp-style bar ends in Tescos today for 2, so will be fitting them on Thursday if I can, as I am off work.

I will let you know how it goes!
badblood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have something covering the ends up at the moment, but this looks to be a bit of plastic

from his initial post it looks like he has bungs in the end of the bars so the mallet method is a moot point. You could also use mtb disc brake cleaner to remove/install the grips. If you are struggling to get under the grips to put the spray in, a thin flat bladed screwdriver inserted under the grip should give you enough clearance to get the spray in. You may well be able to install the bar ends without removing the bungs which may make life a little easier. A word of warning though, normal grips tend to not like being removed and refitted too many times and can come loose in the wet. A very worthwhile upgrade when you are on is a set of lock on grips which will cost about 10 and clamp onto the bars in a similar way to the bar ends.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear I did have bungs in the end of the handlebars, but turns out they were part of the grips. I moved everything towards the middle, cut off a little bit of the grips, and then moved everything else back into position with the bar ends in place. They grip nice and tight, work well and look quite good too! Not the neatest job in the world but you cant really tell when its all back together.

I also set up my bike with lights and a bike computer today, which weirdly were harder to install than the bar ends. The cycle computer was from Halfrauds, and uses stupid cable ties to attach the sensor to the fork by the wheel and the screen mount to the handlebars. This is messy as it is, but these were the lowest quality cable ties Ive ever seen... most of them would either snap or not 'latch' into position!

And then I tried to fit my front light, but the mount snapped as I put it over the handlebar. Luckily, I had another light/mount.... but the same happened to that too!

Not best pleased Sad
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
which weirdly were harder to install than the bar ends.

Did you get Steve instructions for fitting these? Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: