Orange, El Guapo and roadie. Warning blood/gore etc. pg3
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angry Bird

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Orange, El Guapo and roadie. Warning blood/gore etc. pg3 Reply with quote

Righty then, time to indtroduce the team

We've got too many bikes in our house at the moment, the brother has 2, the dad has 4 or 5 I think, the mother has a couple and I've got 3 1/2, hopefully soon to be 4 1/2. (the bmx only counts as 1/2).

But anyway my 2 proper bikes and the other one...

2009 Orange G3. Rockshox Reba Teams, CC S8 headset, raceface finishing, SDG Bel Air Ti saddle because it was cheaper than the standard Laughing SLX shifting at the back, deore for the front, SLX chainset, XT cassette. Braking courtesy of Elixir CRs, not sure how long they'll last though, may make way for some XTs. Pro II/ XC717s. Tyres vary normally but I like ignitors, SB8s, trailrakers for winter times if I can be arsed with swapping them.

Look I even ride it sometimes.

CyB enduro 2012 and a couple from a brief shoot we were asked to do for some advertising stuff at Llandegla. What they didn't tell me and my mate at the time was that it was meant to be about couples riding together. So there's both of us covered in lycra looking nice and gay.

Next we have the beasty one. It's very heavy, quite tough and lots of fun. It's also very slack too, about the 64 mark at the head angle.

456 Summer Season frame, Domain RCs 160mm, Saint/SLX gears, 1x9. XT cassette, Pro 2 Evo/EX729. Superstar and Gusset finishing kit. Elixir R brakes, Tyres, Minions at the moment, not a real fan of HRs, Swampys for the winter. It's a lot of fun. Superstar chain guide, I've actually gone for a full guide and ditched the bash but don't have an up to date photo of it.

Finally the ugly sister, the road bike. It has a carbon rear triangle and carbon forks with a carbon steerer. Tiagra groupset. Nothing amazing but it cost me �600 new so not complaining too much Laughing

Latest updates featuring El Guapo are on page 2, or the bottom of this page, I can't remember.

Last edited by Angry Bird on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:37 pm; edited 4 times in total

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
getonyourberm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still a regular Crudite?

The bikes are looking sweet (other than monstrosity at the bottom of the page). The Summer Season is raked out! Shocked
Rasmanisar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually love the look of that Summer Season, looks like a great bike.
Angry Bird

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasmanisar wrote:
I actually love the look of that Summer Season, looks like a great bike.

Cheers, once you get used the sheer amount the fork can dive at times rides suprisingly well, I was a bit dubious about it through the build but I'm very pleased by the way it turned out. Utter carp for XC (well it can be fun on the downs) but great when it comes to just DH and playing around.

getonyourberm wrote:
Are you still a regular Crudite?

The bikes are looking sweet (other than monstrosity at the bottom of the page). The Summer Season is raked out! Shocked

Aye I just got bored of revisioning so figured I'd find somewhere else to kill some time. Are they as tolerant here of people being muppets or do I have to behave more like a civilised person? Wink
getonyourberm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have to be a bit more normal. Laughing
Angry Bird

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righty, got back from uni a fortnight ago, went to Spain for a week almost immediately. Been back in the UK for 7 days now, and the weather has been crap and I haven't been out on a bike properly yet. That's 10 weeks now what with all the uni crap Evil or Very Mad

Wasn't in the mood to ride today so decided to stay in, regretted it. Will be getting out tomorrow though, and definitely going to make the effort to get up to Cannock on Tuesday, just a bit annoyed with myself for not getting out yet... Think it is just a case of I need to get out, do a decent ride, remember how much I love it, and then I'll be happy.

Need to get my fitness levels up again too after a term of revision, been sat on my a**e mostly, a lot less exercise than normal, lost a stone and a half which I'm in the process of trying to put back on. Done a bit of swimming, some upper body work and been playing a fair bit of tennis in the dry moments, been able to last a good couple of hours but still, it's more expolsive power sort of exercise than proper endurance stuff so maybe the road bike will start getting some use Shocked

In the meantime I did go and do a bit of fettling today with the 456, also decided I need to service the rebas on the XC machine, maybe see if I can squeeze them in tomorrow morning.

Got a couple of photos of the 456 with the full chainguide now.

Angry Bird

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serviced the rebas today. Took ages to get the stanchions into the lowers, didn't pay enough attention and put the lowers on backwards, thought they looked a bit like manitous but it took me a few minutes to work out what was wrong Confused Laughing

All sorted and feeling lovely now, can't believe the difference it makes having new seals and oil in there, and obviously a load of the old gunk out of there too.

getonyourberm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Serviced forks feel loads better and it makes them last longer. I'm about to service my 36s, ready to head off to the Alps next week.
betty_swollox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely bikes mate. That on one looks beasty as f*ck

Custom 2012 Transition TR450

.........and something else is on its way

Time to get as much out of life as possible.
Angry Bird

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

betty_swollox wrote:
Lovely bikes mate. That on one looks beasty as f*ck

Cheers.

getonyurberm wrote:
Agreed. Serviced forks feel loads better and it makes them last longer. I'm about to service my 36s, ready to head off to the Alps next week.

Yep, I was suprised by the improvement. To be fair though, it's 2 years + tey've been going now so I've been impressed how well they've managed so far without a service, much, much longer than RS recommends Laughing

Where abouts in the Alps are you headed?

getonyourberm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angry Bird wrote:
Les Arcs, so lots of techy singletrack, rather than the Bike Parks. It's guided, so I should get to ride all the best trails. Very Happy
Angry Bird

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getonyourberm wrote:
Angry Bird wrote:
Les Arcs, so lots of techy singletrack, rather than the Bike Parks. It's guided, so I should get to ride all the best trails. Very Happy

Sounds like it should be good fun.

Took the 456 round the XC at Cannock yesterday. Bad idea, that thing is a fecking nightmare through some of those trails, and it doesn't do going up hills.

Took it over to stile cop for a few hours too and it was a blast. Cleared a couple of things I'd not been doing too well, had one off but nothing bad really. Good fun. Got a quick ride on an SX trail as well, **** that was nice to ride but it felt like cheating almost, was so much faster on it though, still, plenty more I can be doing on a hardtail for now.

Rasmanisar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine that the 456 is pretty fun on DH/FR tracks with the domains plugged in Cool
getonyourberm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angry Bird wrote:
getonyourberm wrote:
Angry Bird wrote:

Sounds like it should be good fun.

Took the 456 round the XC at Cannock yesterday. Bad idea, that thing is a fecking nightmare through some of those trails, and it doesn't do going up hills.

Took it over to stile cop for a few hours too and it was a blast. Cleared a couple of things I'd not been doing too well, had one off but nothing bad really. Good fun. Got a quick ride on an SX trail as well, **** that was nice to ride but it felt like cheating almost, was so much faster on it though, still, plenty more I can be doing on a hardtail for now.
I can imagine! Laughing

Yeh, the speed difference on a full sus versus a hardtail is pertty noticeable.
Angry Bird

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 456 is no more. Currently a load of parts lying around in the shed.

In other news a large portion of the old student loan has left the bank. In return there's a reverb making it's way to me from the Germans, a few other little parts like seatclamps, stems, chains.

Also one of these is on the way

Was tempted by the DB model but if I'm honest I don't need it after chatting to the guys up there, if I do want a more burly shock for doing some DH on I might grab a coil off fleabay or somewhere and swap it in as and when. Have got a slackset to go with it too to take a degree off the head angle.

Said a nice goodbye to the 456 at Cwmcarn the other week, unfortunately was stuck behind my cousin for most of the runs but got a couple where she let me go first and let it fly. Brilliant bike, shame it's not going to be the same anymore but it's time for something requiring less effort to ride. After 8 runs your legs really let you know that you're riding a HT Laughing

Plan for the 456 is to get a rigid steel fork and whack a 29er wheel in the front, get a singlespeed kit and have it as a winter bike for knobbing around on.

Plan for the El Guapo is to have some fun and d*ck around on, maybe do a few races, bike park & big mountain trip to Sweden on the cards for summer too, means taking a bit of time off uni which makes it even better.

Maybe the mega next summer, no chance this year because of placements and stuff but next year if I plan ahead it may be feasible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: