Best place to mount a cam?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dagza

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Best place to mount a cam? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am testing a Flip Ultra HD from work and was wondering where the best place to mount it is.

Tonight I just wrapped a gorillapod around the front of the frame with some zip ties. The problem is the cam is tall so it wobbles at the top even though the bottom is actually fairly secure and after drops it just ends up pointing to the sky.

Can anyone think of a way of making it move less?

Am I better off trying to mount it on the bars of my helmet?

Cheers.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Dale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember before I purchased my helmet cam with the proper mounts, I used a gorillapod to mount it on my handlebars. I think I just wrapped it round and then tied it tight. It moved a little but overall wasn't too bad for a makeshift job.

You can probably buy the proper mounts online, can't imagine they'd be much. If Flip cameras have the traditional screw on method of attaching that is?

dagza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the response

Yeah they just have a standard tripod screw. I tried the bars but couldn't get it really tight. I seem to recall seeing some specific bar mounts but they looked flimsy with people reporting the same problem - wobble at the top

I'll look for some general bar mounts rather than flip ones perhaps.

dagza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bicycle-Bike-Cycling-Handlebar-Mount-Holder-Came ra-/300450578904?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL

Or would you suggest a helmet mount?

Dale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the ones which come with the ATC cameras, never had any real problems with them moving providing they are nipped up tight.

http://www.oregonscientific.co.uk/cat-Outdoor-sub-Action-Cam-Accessori es-prod-ATC-2K-3K-5K-Handle-Bar-Mount.html

I remember my gorillapod used to drop forward on the handlebars over bumps so I was forever pulling it back up.

I personally prefer mounting my camera to the bike, rather than my helmet. If you mount it to your helmet you have to be careful when you are going through the woods that you don't catch it on any low branches, and also as you start tiring you tend to begin to film the floor as your head drops... I suppose with a bit of trial and error setting it up you could overcome these problems though..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> At The Movies. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: