big ride tuesday
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrenvt2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: big ride tuesday Reply with quote

Well i decided i would go for a ride on my road bike on tuesday from norton to helmsley 35 miles took 2 hours 5 mins,so i decided to press on to hutton le hole after a little cafe stop i pressed on over the moors but i took a wrong turning and ended up in the wrong valley at the 50 mile mark that was when the cramps in my thighs set in so i had to walk the hills between westerdale and kildale.i must say the last 35 miles were pure torture but despite the pain i made it home the only thing i noticed when putting my shoes away was the plastic cleats had completly worn away Embarassed i lived to tell the tale but all i did yesterday was eat and walk around at work like the undead.cant wait till the next ride Twisted Evil

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Denny69

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Quality...nice ride too but Hutton le hole from Castleton is a lot nicer with The Lion Inn being at the top of the climb out of Castleton....very handy!!!! Wink
Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on then Darren, what was the total distance, and the time, etc.

And what was the wrong turn, did you go down that long descent into Westerdale from Ralph's Cross, instead of on and down into Castleton?

If that's the case then to be honest, there's not much difference, all the hills you would have encountered would have been just as severe, just think of the training effect and how you can capitalise on it Wink

Denny69

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:

And what was the wrong turn, did you go down that long descent into Westerdale from Ralph's Cross, instead of on and down into Castleton?

That's a quality decent too....Ralph's to Westerdale...fantastic scenery....not that you'd notice it much as you'd be rattling along!!!!
darrenvt2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i took the first turn left efter the lion pub ended up a dead end track over Farndale area and when i found the right way onto the main road again the cramps in my thighs had taken there toll and i had to walk the big hills.The ride took just under 7 hours total 85 miles, despite the last 35 miles knocking my confidence i've never done that distance so i'm pleased with that.[/quote]
Gunner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farndale Valley is a tad steep if you're trying to get out of it Embarassed Embarassed

Great that you've set yourself a bit of a distance "best", but the hills must have took a demanding toll, as they do!!

Consider your time to Helmesley of 2 hours 5 minutes for 35 miles, good going, and if you had turned round and rode back you would have done 70 miles in 4 hours 10 minutes, slightly longer really allowing for the build up of fatigue over the distance, but not that much.

However, you took just under 7 hours to do 85 miles on your chosen route.

It's a lot harder riding the hilly routes than a lot of riders appreciate, and if done consistently, a great fitness tool, I know a few riders who like to stay on the "lowlands" just to keep their weekly mileage totals high, Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Well done Darren Wink

HarryB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking effort Darren. Cramp is a nightnare and there's not much you can do about it. I got in really badly on the White Rose next week. But I now know how to sort it. I'll tell you when we meet again
darrenvt2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the support i do like the hills but with the cramp in my thighs everytime i saw a 20% hill sign and tried to climb it out the saddle i just had to get off but its all good for fitness, it did knock my confidence a bit though.look forward to hearing your tips Harryb and to the next ride Gunner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Road Bike Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: