Bike Park Wales
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petriodet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Bike Park Wales Reply with quote

Organising a trip to bpw , not really sure what to expect, the guys I ride with don't really do jumps so I think we'll probably stick to blue or could we do a red ?
Is it advisable to get a full face ?
Full suspension or hardtail ?
we are going at the end of Jan, I imagine the weather will be pretty cold
Any advice would be appreciated as we will be driving there and back in the same day so cramming as much in is important.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Attila

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just enjoy yourselves, its brilliant!

all the blues are easily ridable on a hardtail, any jumps on them are rollable if people aren't confident but you can have some fun on them if you are more confident.

The reds are a bit more challenging as you would expect, you could ride them on a hardtail if you are confident however a full suspension bike will make them easier. Jumps are bigger but still tabletops but there are quite a few drop ins which you will need to be able to deal with.

I personally wouldn't attempt the blacks on a hardtail but people do ride them. The blues and reds are great on any trail bike but aren't really steep enough to get the most out of a downhill rig.

I would recommend a full face just in case but you see plenty of people in open face lids.

Wrap up warm as Merthyr feels like the end of the world in winter, you may have snow to deal with which will make it a lot of fun!

Ask the driver to show you how to load the bikes on the trailer, it sounds stupid but when you are excited you can make mistakes and you don't want your pride and joy to go bouncing down the mountain...

The café is great, really nice food and the coffee is good too (and I imagine you will need plenty of it to keep you warm!). Get there early and be ready to ride for the first uplift and you will have a whale of a time!

Have a look at Bike Park Wales' Youtube channel, they have onboard footage of all the runs to give you an idea of what you are in for.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqo8WCytoSgMnXa-tVZQhgg

'15 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp 29er
'14 Claud Butler Torino SR4
'14 Whyte 629
MPX309

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This a pretty good review of the place

PART1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh3eFZOySQ8&t=4s

PART 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkOQeYLzlzI

Doomanic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got Up-lift tickets?
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
petriodet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomanic wrote:
Have you got Up-lift tickets?

Yes we have uplift so we can cram as much in, tbh I'm just happy to get a taster as I will go in the the summer with my big bike, one of my group will probably be on his xc bike with full height saddle and SPD , unfortunately he is stuck in his way and it'll be hard to convince him to drop his saddle and put flats on.
ryansam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome place,we went earlier in the year,blues are like reds anywhere else and reds are like blacks,most have qualifiers at the start to test you.Most jumps are tabletops not gap jumps so you can roll them,the a470 line has the biggest jumps,so take it easy first run down that.You can also mix the runs as there's a top,middle,bottom,so you can do a red,blue,black or red,red,blue and so on.Top to bottom is a long way and you will ache,Terrys belly alone is about 4k long.Hot stepper was one of my faves.If you get 8/9 runs in you'll have done good.Go and enjoy,try the bpw burger's as well,they're gorgeous.Trails are also all weather so should be OK when you go.Have a great time but when you start getting tired take it a bit easier as that's when crashes happen (as one of our lads found out,broke his shoulder on the last run)
Enjoy you'll love it Very Happy Wink

Orange Crush am
Forme Longcliffe 3.0
crom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome place, we did it three time this year. Like yourself we drove and rode on the same day, the first time but never again. I was totally fooked by the time I got home. The next two times we booked in at Twin peaks B&B, cheap as chips and had a much better day riding.

Hear is our first time at BBW. Played it safe and stuck to mainly blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6F6F4bns3E

ryansam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crom wrote:
Awsome place, we did it three time this year. Like yourself we drove and rode on the same day, the first time but never again. I was totally fooked by the time I got home. The next two times we booked in at Twin peaks B&B, cheap as chips and had a much better day riding.

Hear is our first time at BBW. Played it safe and stuck to mainly blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6F6F4bns3E

Nice video that Crom,see you done Bonnyville twice there,fookin loved that trail,really tight switchbacks,kept dropping my chain on it though,definitely one of my favs Very Happy

Here's Big Als crash on the A470 line
https://youtu.be/zekZ9IsgvtQ

I was just behind him,mahoosive crash Shocked

Orange Crush am
Forme Longcliffe 3.0
petriodet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, great advice and thanks for the videos,they give me confidence as i have ridden harder stuff (although it never looks to bad on video, i'm really looking forward to it now.
Treehugger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been twice - fantastic place. I'm no gnarly rider either, but even I could manage most of the reds. The Blues alone are worth the visit, so fast, so flowy.

Therein lies the danger, just a word of caution, it's so easy to get carried away and let the bike go with it - first visit one of the lads got it wrong on A470, going too fast, got a jump wrong....ended up in Cardiff neurological unit, we nearly lost him and even now, 12 months on, he has memory problems and his Mrs says he just isn't quite the same confident character he was before.

Wear a full face, decent knee/elbow pads, preferably have a good full suss and just be aware of the speed you can pick up. The paramedics on the ambulance journey told me they are called out regularly to that A470 run, even joking they asked BPW to put a parking spot on their for 'em. I believe changes have been made to the trail as last time I was there A470 was closed.

Having said all that - enjoy!
Nik Gnashers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hear is our first time at BBW. Played it safe

I thought a BBW was something entirely different, but I'm glad you enjoyed it, and also played it 'safe' too Embarassed

MPX309

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nik Gnashers wrote:
Quote:

I thought a BBW was something entirely different, but I'm glad you enjoyed it, and also played it 'safe' too Embarassed

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

crom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nik Gnashers wrote:
Quote:

Played it safe and kept away from jumps and gaps. Four weeks prior I had broken my right clavicle, slight tear in my right rotor cuff and two fractured ribs at Glentress. Lets see how you do at BPW. Ahole

MPX309

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crom wrote:
Nik Gnashers wrote:
Quote:

Played it safe and kept away from jumps and gaps. Four weeks prior I had broken my right clavicle, slight tear in my right rotor cuff and two fractured ribs at Glentress. Lets see how you do at BPW. Ahole

LOL, He was just having a laugh with the fact you wrote BBW instead of BPW.

If you google BBW, you'll see why

Doomanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: