Bike recommendation from all you Pros'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mfdc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Bike recommendation from all you Pros' Reply with quote

Guys

I have not been on this forum for well over a decade - after ten years of working really hard and getting my health in tip top condition I want to start riding again now I have a much more respectable budget and the Specialized Rockhopper SL 2010 was sold to help fund the move from London back home to Nottingham

Anyway

I've got about £2500 to spend on a bike but I really like the GT sensor Comp (with Fox Factory 36's) and I'm probably going to go for that. I'm doing general riding but I do want full suspension for the occasional downhill trail

Anyone got any views and/or what bike do you recommend for a generalist rider with no specific discipline. £2500 or less.

I see the tech has changed quite a lot, wheel size, stem lengths, geometries, suspension, its all new!

As an aside, I've just kitted out my garage with an amazing workshop area, flooring, tool peg boards, ALL THE TOOLS lol, so I'm really excited to be getting my a**e back on the saddle.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
martini henrie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in the Nottingham area check out Notts MTB Outlaws on FB. They have a sellers page on there called outlawhub where there are some really good value for money used bikes.

The other up side is that the group is really nice, their Sunday Social rides are great fun, and the members are really welcoming and chilled.

As to what to look for in a new bike I'm a big fan of Whyte bikes and the s-150 looks great and has good reviews. Have a look at the Cotic rocket as they have knocked £500 off the older frame design.

It's also sale season so there are plenty of bikes going at much reduced prices.

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/144208/products/whyte-s150-s-29er-mo untain-bike-2018-blueorange.aspx
Mfdc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant, thanks for that bud
martini henrie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an addendum to my previous post, Tred Shop Sutton in Ashfield (Jono) is very good with Whyte, Yeti and Rocky Mountain and has a few other brands to look over too. It's been a while since I was last there, something to remedy.

You also have Voltz bikes in Blidworth for Orange, Cannondale, Bergamont and Trek. They are very helpful too and have the advantage of a great coffee machine and cake... Laughing
ryansam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product/bikes-frames/bikes-by-type/mountai n-bikes/2018-whyte-t-130-rs-2018_whyte_t130rs/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8O7bBRB0E iwAfbrThwt83Ur-qMU2DOhd-n5QDmIJE-aZ8_t3kE4lEB1119a29kWMS2sEgBoC7QkQAvD _BwE

Gets top reviews and more of a XC/trail machine👍.
Check out the YT Jeffsy aswell😉

Orange Crush am
Forme Longcliffe 3.0
ryansam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot about this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-escarpe-vrx-fs-bike-sram-gx-e agle-1x12-2018/rp-prod159745

The spec is awesome for that price,Rock shox Pikes,Sram Eagle,Reverb,DT Swiss wheels,great finishing kit aswell.Top bang for your buck😉👍👍

Orange Crush am
Forme Longcliffe 3.0
Mustard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 'generalist rider with no specific discipline' coming back after a lay-off, might it not appeal to you to remain retro? (The psychological feeling of rejoining with your past, and the person you used to be, then later, rebuilding from that.)

It should be possible to find a good and now seemingly redundant full sus 26 wheeler in undamaged condition, which with normal necessary replacement consumables will still be fully satisfying.

I've been using my older Stumpy (2010 M.T.B. of the year, 3X10 gearing-long travel suspension-26 wheels- older well sorted geometry) a lot lately, as turn about with my later 29 er, and I probably enjoy it (never sure about such things as moods can vary) as much as any bike I can imagine using. It's that satisfying feeling of keeping in touch with the past, on supposedly obsolete machinery, which I know from comparison with those riding the latest (1 times gearing and latest geometry must haves) bikes, in ordinary mountain trail riding, is fully equal.

Some things never really change!
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You joined in 2010 so just under 8 years judging by the dates.
Mustard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you meant me Carnaptious, yes I joined the forum in 2010, but have bought and ridden MTB's since the 80's. (First one a second hand Raleigh which was really just a road 531 tubed bike with knobbly tyres and a box load of gears.)

I think you'll agree though that MTB's were 'sorted' by 2010, and were more capable than most riders, yet there have been many changes since then (the usual way of fashion) which while not making them worse, may not have made them a great deal better?

At anyrate, the 2010 Stumpy with its 3X10 gearing and 'older' geometry certainly feels retro after only 8 years, which makes you wonder how it will all be in another 8 years time? (Though the most useful change from some points of view has been the 29 er revolution - all for that!! Laughing )

P.S. Mr. Carnaptious. You apparently don't like dropper posts! Have to agree there! Wink
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mustard wrote:
If you meant me Carnaptious, yes I joined the forum in 2010, but have bought and ridden MTB's since the 80's. (First one a second hand Raleigh which was really just a road 531 tubed bike with knobbly tyres and a box load of gears.)

I think you'll agree though that MTB's were 'sorted' by 2010, and were more capable than most riders, yet there have been many changes since then (the usual way of fashion) which while not making them worse, may not have made them a great deal better?

At anyrate, the 2010 Stumpy with its 3X10 gearing and 'older' geometry certainly feels retro after only 8 years, which makes you wonder how it will all be in another 8 years time? (Though the most useful change from some points of view has been the 29 er revolution - all for that!! Laughing )

P.S. Mr. Carnaptious. You apparently don't like dropper posts! Have to agree there! Wink

Not you Mustard the fellow who posted the topic.
I’m an advocate of 26” being the optimum if you want your MTB ‘ing to be about technical skill and not just speed.
MTB ‘ing IMO has become more pampered over the years with several “innovations “ and it’s taking the actual challenge out of it.
Imagine my horror when I heard they were introducing 29ers to DH and thinking of straightening some of the courses !!! Surprised
I’m always glad when I see another 26er on my local trails and fwiw no 29er has beaten me on DH sections .
They are too busy (apprehensive) wrestling with their gargantuan front wheel to actually achieve any speed on them.Thus negating their purpose of higher speed.
Although to be fair it is on loose over hard and I have mahoosive grip on my old skool Nokians !!! Wink
Plenty to say on this Mustard but work beckons .
Get back to you.

Mustard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree that a good 26er with a good rider won't easily be equalled down a technical descent taken at speed. A 29er is fine for steep, rocky, but STRAIGHT technical descents, especially when you need to delicately pick your way over jumbled rocky slabs with holes as you drop off them (where speed isn't an option). That's where I find bigger wheels FEEL that bit safer in avoiding headers.

A good bike is a good bike no matter what wheel size, and it's human nature for us to 'take to some, and not others. I went off the Stumpy when I fell for a new Camber, but it patiently stood there in the workshop, sending out those positive waves, (it's a good looker), and I now look forward to using it once again. (Not least because it bucks the current 1X gear trains!!)

On Saturday, I was riding the hill tops over Carlton Bank way, and was surprised to find a Mountain Bike event taking place with literally hundreds of them taking part. I don't think I spotted any using the old 3X gearing set up (or even 2X), but I did note that it didn't help them get up the steep climbs, of which there were a lot, any easier!

But each to their own. If steam engines can make a comeback (specials on the main lines) it wouldn't surprise me if 26 does, also. (Best of luck with your downhill exploits sir. Razz )
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not a DH’er incidently Cool
martini henrie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

26ers are now kids bikes...

How has the bike hunt gone, beyond all the banter here?

Cool
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martini henrie wrote:
26ers are now kids bikes...

How has the bike hunt gone, beyond all the banter here?

Cool

Have we been kidding ourselves on all these years then ?
Wink
If I was to be personally shopping for another 26er it would need to be custom but it would be a welcome cross to bear.
I’m hoping that fashion as it always does goes full circle and we see the 26er back where it should be.
29ers are the 3D television moment of the MTB world.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: