Bikes with triple chain rings
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulzx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, good points about the chain ring ratios, I don't actually know what the ratios are on my triple or the boardman twin, but I do know this, the lowest gear on the boardman twin is not as easy to spin as the lowest gear on my triple, I can literally spin the wheels on that, which sometimes you just need.

I don't need the big chain ring so much, agreed on that, it's useful for the occasional big downhill but other than that, not essential.

So as one of you just said, the answer is the actual ratio of the rings and possibly still use a twin, but get a smaller granny chain ring.

I didn't really want to mess with the standard setup on the bike but I can see now that I probably need a 22 on that lower ring and that should solve the issue

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Threevok

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a 26-36-48 on the GT and find that a 26 does everything

I bet you could climb walls with a 22 - although it would probably take a week to reach the ceiling Laughing

Paulzx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen the Halfords spec for my Boardman FS Pro quotes the chain rings as 42/28 so the small ring seems quite highly geared which is probably why I'm struggling.

I think I need to drop that 28 for a 22 then judging by the comments on here?
Dagster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 2 Boardys - a HT Pro and a 650b Team FS, so i know exactly where you're coming from regarding climbing and double chainrings!
I also have a Trek Fuel EX 6 - Unfashionable with it's 26" wheels and a triple chainring, but i can climb easier on the steep stuf on the Trek than either of the Boardmans even though the HT is only 27lbs - maybe it's all psycological,but i doubt it.
Doubles just don't have low enough gears for my old age, unless i need to just need to mtfu Very Happy

Trek 4300, 2007 -Long since Gone, but not forgotten
xgsjx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threevok wrote:

I bet you could climb walls with a 22 - although it would probably take a week to reach the ceiling Laughing

Mines a 2x10. 22-36 at the front & a 11-36 on the rear & yes, it'll climb anything that I'm fit enough to to pedal up.
The Dadinlaw who's a keen road cyclist took one look & said "My, that's one tiny granny ring". I told him it's so I can cycle over tiny grannies. Shocked
Threevok

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xgsjx wrote:
Threevok wrote:

Mines a 2x10. 22-36 at the front & a 11-36 on the rear & yes, it'll climb anything that I'm fit enough to to pedal up.
The Dadinlaw who's a keen road cyclist took one look & said "My, that's one tiny granny ring". I told him it's so I can cycle over tiny grannies. Shocked

Laughing Laughing

Does it do tiny grand dads too ? Had one this morning who insisted I fit a bell, so his loose dog would know when not to bite me Rolling Eyes

Magnus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't get me started on loose dogs Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
Threevok

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:
don't get me started on loose dogs Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Not one for Facebook Rants, but I feel one comming on Evil or Very Mad

Rode the GT today and it was rather strange after riding the the SS.

Rear gears were fine, but got very confused as to which front chainring to use at times Confused

Magnus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threevok wrote:
Magnus wrote:

Not one for Facebook Rants, but I feel one comming on Evil or Very Mad

Do it Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
Paulzx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dagster wrote:
I've had 2 Boardys - a HT Pro and a 650b Team FS, so i know exactly where you're coming from regarding climbing and double chainrings!
I also have a Trek Fuel EX 6 - Unfashionable with it's 26" wheels and a triple chainring, but i can climb easier on the steep stuf on the Trek than either of the Boardmans even though the HT is only 27lbs - maybe it's all psycological,but i doubt it.
Doubles just don't have low enough gears for my old age, unless i need to just need to mtfu Very Happy

No, you're right, the FS Pro is too highly geared on the small ring. It's not a case of fitness as such, if I can do it on one bike, the only thing stopping me doing it on any other bike is the bike itself.

Having looked into it a bit more, I can see double or single rings are the way forward, just that the stock rings won't always suit the rider, so I have to accept I'll probably have to change the gearing to suit me better.

I would say 80% of all the climbing I do, can be done with thr gearing I've got now, but there are several very brutal climbs where I live where you have to literally crawl to get up - and you need a very small ring to do that!
MPX309

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you may have to consider is, when Halfords sell the boardman, it's tailored to suit all sorts of riders. I am guessing the average Halfords customer won't be using their bike for long days climbing North Wales or some remote mountain in Scotland, probably more a leisurely cycle path along the seafront or something so they take into considering that when selling the bike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: