Breathing
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Breathing Reply with quote

Hi

Just looking for a bit of advise, I have only been MTB ing since the start of December and I'm 50 when climbing up hills ( quite steep ) I can't seem to keep up with my breathing. my legs still want to go but my lungs are bursting, up a long steady drag of a hill it isn't so bad.

I have been concentrating on breathing in through my nose and exhaling through my mouth for around twice as long as the inhale, but it seem as if I can't get enough air in through my nose.

Is there anything I can do or will it just get better the more I do and advise would be great.

Just one thought to day there was a gale blowing and that also seems to make it harder to breath through my nose, the wind was a right pain as I did around a 20 mile loop and it was in my face all the way Sad

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Smurf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll never get enough oxygen if you breathe through your nose when physically exerting yourself. It's fine when you're not trying hard. Use your mouth.
George

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what smurf said!!

Use your mouth, when you feel you need to! It will get better though!
I always use my mouth, that's why I swallow all the water when I am swimming!!
AvalancheJon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to take breathes through your mouth deep enough that you feel your stomach lift and breath out through your nose steadily. If you can't keep up with your breathing try going down a gear and put more power through your legs, this will reduce your cadence for the same speed.
sage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies, I will give it a go the next time I'm on the bike.
giantAstax

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that you need to improve your aerobic fitness and you do that by training at low intensities. You can use Phil Maffetone's approach to good effect which takes a HR of 180 and then subtracts your age, then apply a modifier normally 0, plus or minus 5 bpm. That sets your MAF or maximum aerobic fitness level for training. You then train from 10 bpm lower than that figure up to the MAF. So in your case you'd be using 120 to 130 bpm. You'll need an HRM obviously.

You need to ideally do at least 8 weeks training to build your MAF. What happens is your pace starts to increase as your body adapts yet your effort levels remain constant. If you watch aerobically fit people they rarely blow that hard unless exertion is very high indeed. Google Phil for more info.

The other advantage of this approach is that it also stabilises blood insulin levels and gets your body burning fat as it's preferred fuel. Loads of benefits there. That's how your TDF rides manage 200k followed by jumps, sprints and fast climbs.

Also look up Powerbreathe for a useful training tool for improving breathing. As for nose vs mouth, I think nose it better at all but the highest levels of exercise where you just can't get enough oxygen in per breath to satisfy the bodies needs. Seem to recall reading somewhere that mouth breathing is far less efficient than nose breathing so there's no doubt a point where it starts to be beneficial to do so.
adamramsey91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other way round for me.. Breatihng ok but my legs won't do the work!
lloydie63

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have this breathing problem. My GP said I may have scarring on my lungs due to taking inhalers for asthma (powders, sprays nebulisers) for 45 years thus restricting my lung expansion. I have a peak flow average of about 350 L/min an average for my age/height is 580 l/min. I can cycle with my mates all day on flat single track but as soon as I hit any sort of climb I'm wheezing like an asthmatic pig. It sucks but there doesn't seem much I can do about it.
sage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Thanks for the advise, I don't know if it's the weather being better or just feeling better in the sunshine but my breathing has been a bit better, must admit not as good as I would like, mind I'm not the most patient of people and starting mtb ing at 50 most prob will be a slow to improve sort of thing, mind the weight is still coming off me which I'm really pleased about.

Last edited by sage on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Titan Fury

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think about breathing, just let it happen... Your brain will the care of that so you can take care of other things.... Like steering, gears, pedalling, etc.
olddude

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sage wrote:
Hi All

Thanks for the advise, I don't know if it's the weather being better or just feeling better in the sunshine but my breathing has been a bit better, must admit not as good as I would like, mind I'm not the most patient of people and starting mtb ing at 50 most prob will be a slow to improve sort of thing, mind the weight is still coming off me which I'm really pleased about.

Hi, as another oldie I know where you're coming from.

I did a lot of MB-ing in the 80's, and canoeing since stopping the daft stuff, and I have dogs so my fitness never went to rock-bottom.
Recently though, I lost a lot of bodyweight (muscle) due to bereavement, so I've bought another bike to get out there and build the muscle back up.

Whether building muscle, losing weight, or just building up fitness, it's always harder once you turn 50 (harder still, I've found, once you turn 60 Shocked).
I put in another post its all about recovery - it takes longer as you age.

As an example of what can be done as an oldie I think Ranulph Fiennes is a good role model. He ran 5 marathons in 5 days (could have been 6 in 6 days - some ridiculous number anyway). He was over 60 when he did that.

sage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olddude wrote:
sage wrote:
Hi All

Hi, as another oldie I know where you're coming from.

I did a lot of MB-ing in the 80's, and canoeing since stopping the daft stuff, and I have dogs so my fitness never went to rock-bottom.
Recently though, I lost a lot of bodyweight (muscle) due to bereavement, so I've bought another bike to get out there and build the muscle back up.

Whether building muscle, losing weight, or just building up fitness, it's always harder once you turn 50 (harder still, I've found, once you turn 60 Shocked).
I put in another post its all about recovery - it takes longer as you age.

As an example of what can be done as an oldie I think Ranulph Fiennes is a good role model. He ran 5 marathons in 5 days (could have been 6 in 6 days - some ridiculous number anyway). He was over 60 when he did that.

Hi Olddude

Your not far from me Very Happy

Things are getting better I have to be honest I still think I'm 17 and when you start doing stuff like this you realise your not Crying or Very sad But I keep plodding on and things improve some of the hills that I used to have to stop on aren't a problem now, I did around a 100 off road miles last week and really enjoyed it and the lighter nights.
sage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well slowly slowly does it but to day on a 8 mile loop I have close to home for the first time since I started on a mtb the beginning of this year I finally managed to crack the double hill section, it's be a target for me for a while, but at the top of the first hill I'm usually blowing like a steam train, it's a long step straight hill and then into a winding steep gravel track to the top of a fantastic decent through a wood.

Been setting my target realistically and knocking them off one at a time well pleased and it was bloody hot today Very Happy
Gunner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sage wrote:
Well slowly slowly does it but to day on a 8 mile loop I have close to home for the first time since I started on a mtb the beginning of this year I finally managed to crack the double hill section, it's be a target for me for a while, .....................

Very well done. Very Happy

Brilliant to see that you are improving and hopefully you will soon be improving on that. Wink

sage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:
sage wrote:
Well slowly slowly does it but to day on a 8 mile loop I have close to home for the first time since I started on a mtb the beginning of this year I finally managed to crack the double hill section, it's be a target for me for a while, .....................

Very well done. Very Happy

Brilliant to see that you are improving and hopefully you will soon be improving on that. Wink

Thanks for the kind words, I'm setting my goals at not to high a level, but very pleased when I do them, it's a good that once you know you can do something them you aim a little higher again, around a month a go I would have had to walk 3-4 time to get to the top.

The main trouble is in my head I'm still 17 but my body at 51 and only around 4 months of biking isn't satisfied with the small gains I keep thinking I should be doing better, but slowly slowly is the answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: