Crank and pedal fell off
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redburnsblack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Crank and pedal fell off Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking for some expert advice please!

Whilst I enjoy cycling and am competent at changing a tyre and all that sort of basic maintenance I was cycling to Uni this morning (yes students are awake in the morning) my left-side pedal and crank fell off which left me somewhat stumped and flailing in the rush-hour traffic.

Anyway, my bike is a 2006 Carrera Kraken (Halfords), which has Truvativ Isoflow cranks, which it seems aren't that great (from what I have been reading on various sites)

From what I've gathered, as the inner thread is completely chewed up, I won't be able to just stick a new bolt on it and be up and running, but I will have to get a new one. The site I was looking at seemed to suggest that the thread being chewed up was the result of poor installation - which would mean halfords I guess.

So my question is which one do I go for, what do I need to look for, what size do I need to get or is it all the same?

I don't mind spending a little bit more if it's going to result in a marked improvement. But more than anything I just want something that's solid and isn't going to fall apart on me again. My budgets probably 40-50 but like I said I will pay more if it will be a lot better.

Cheers and many thanks!

Rob

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
nickkk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: cranks/bottom bracket Reply with quote

hi, im relativly new to the world of mountain bikes but i have some knowledge on trials bikes lol... as much as i hate hallfords for a poorly put together bike they sold me last year, cranks do need tightening every now and again. If they come lose they will have some play (movement) this play dents the metal (hole of crank) on every rotation causing your cranks to round off. If you find yourself in this position you should not only replace the the cranks but should also replace the square or ISIS bottombracket. then just be more carefull next time and tighten before every ride Arrow there is another type of bottom bracket used commonly in mountain biking where there is a bar running through a tube which fastens to the cranks... i don't no enough about this to comment Wink i hope this answers abit of your question untill someone better can input P.S this is 1st post to the forum
redburnsblack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: he Reply with quote

cheers for the quick reply there,

does anyone know exactly what sort of crank i'd need to go for or is that too hard to tell

cheers again there mate
SeanO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi & welcome to the forum,

If you are looking at replacing the bottom bracket (bb) and ctanks, I'd probably go for a Shimano Hollowtech 2 (HT2) set. I think thats the type nickkk is refering to.

Deore Crankset

If you wanted to do the work yourself you'd need the tools. A crank extractor, square taper bb remover and HT2 tool. Depending on the state of your bb shell you may need it facing, because the HT2 bearings are external to the bb and the cups need to be mounted on a level surface.
A bike shop could do all the work and Westbrooks would probably charge you 20-30. But once fitted; its easier to work on a HT2 bb yourself (IMO) when it needs replacing.

Hope this makes sense! Confused

mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wonderin nickkk. is it bike trials your into, im selling my onza t-pro in good nic for 200 if you no anyone who wants one
nickkk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: trials Reply with quote

yes it is, i will tell a few mates. You could try and sell it through www.trials-forum.co.uk here people will tell you if your askin for too much and just have a higher knowledge on these bikes i would think. The problem is u must get validated to buy/sell stuff. takes a few days Confused
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will try that

so do you still ride tails... harder than it looks eh
bry5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank and pedal fell off Reply with quote

redburnsblack wrote:
Hi,

My budgets probably 40-50 but like I said I will pay more if it will be a lot better.

Rob

Hi Rob,

The Deore hollowtech II can be had in places for 40 and gets very good reviews, but that looks to be bang on your budget without leaving much for installation.

Whats the thread like on your crank arm, you might be able to get away with just buying a bottom bracket, but if both have worn down (bb and crank arm) its definately a new crank set for you.

Installation and removal is usually fairly easy providing its not rusted in, but the tools could set you back at least another 20 if you have not got any.

www.bikeradar.com has videos on installing and removing the cranks and BB if you need any further info. I have to admit that I am surprised the BB or crank arm has rounded off, the older versions with the allen bolt through the middle are usually fixed on pretty tight, I would probably put in down to general wear and tear rather than a looseness.

Be warned, once you replace your crank set, particularly if you have been running an older chain for a long time, you might experience slippage, old chains and new chainsets/cassettes don't always go well together. A second hand chain set might be a good alternative, make sure you get the right speed (8/9)

Bry

nickkk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr-marty-martin wrote:
will try that

so do you still ride tails... harder than it looks eh

yeh i still ride when i can. I do blue route at comps in my area Razz
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well your allot better than me

a think ive got the skill,balance, and power but lost my motovation with it. as now a race bikes, so want to sell it to help fund a carbon road machine Very Happy
redburnsblack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for all that guys, probs going to go for some deore hollowtech II's then

thanks again
nickkk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr-marty-martin wrote:
well your allot better than me

a think ive got the skill,balance, and power but lost my motovation with it. as now a race bikes, so want to sell it to help fund a carbon road machine Very Happy

check this out! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UbJ1sseQVbY&feature=related
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's realy good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: