Doh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mustard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Doh! Reply with quote

After years of using wire brushes to scrape caked on mud off, and out of, knobbly tyres the inevitable happened. I punctured one!

I knew something was too good to be true. Since discovering 29ers, the nearest thing to heaven on two wheels, the old Stumpy 26er has been neglected, and only rarely taken for a gallop to keep it working. I think it knows it's on notice and stays trouble free which it never used to be when it was No. 1. (Was always something playing up then.) It just won't wear out now and give a reason for giving it up!

I suppose I can't blame the bike for my stupidity, but I can blame that Mountain King tyre. Even 26ers can't be THAT lacking in traction climbing hills.(Less grip than the skin on an average rice pudding - and far less than any my old Gran used to bake. Needed a road drill to break into them!! )

I suppose I could rummage through the spares shed and find something better, but you know how it is when your mind is fixed on the newer, and you lust after the latest bells and whistles lumps of seeming perfection.

But I cured that obsession. I went and bought a new replacement road bike instead. Specialized, naturally. (At least they employ qualified structural engineers, instead of just the suck it and see hopefuls!)

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
MPX309

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand. You punctured a tire so bought a roadbike?
Doomanic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a fairly severe penalty for a minor misdemeanour...
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Treehugger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey - if I bought a new bike every time I got a puncture I'd be divorced and in the workhouse by now! Shocked
crom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL what a whacky guy. Now your gonna need lycr and bum lube. Laughing
Mustard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's Christmas, and I'd been promising myself a new bike for the last couple of years.

Twas a toss up between putting in the old Stumpy for another 'improved' 29er. (got two older 29er Cambers which don't NEED much improvement anyway), or updating the old Boardman Pro road bike with a spanking new all singing disc and front suspension Spesh Roubaix road bike.

Should have said I already do a lot of road bike miles (it's good to be retired) storming about the Yorkshire Dales and Moors, so the new Roubaix proved irresistible.

Nothing is wasted since I simply kept all the bikes I've ever bought (n+ 2 or 3 or more Laughing ), because it's nice to be spoiled for choice!

I mean, why just ditch good bikes anyway? Isn't variety meant to be the spice of life? (And now turned 79, I aint got that much left anyway!)
Treehugger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on yer Mustard - and why not? Enjoy the new plaything.
Gunner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mustard wrote:

Nothing is wasted since I simply kept all the bikes I've ever bought (n+ 2 or 3 or more Laughing ), because it's nice to be spoiled for choice!

I mean, why just ditch good bikes anyway? Isn't variety meant to be the spice of life? (And now turned 79, I aint got that much left anyway!)

My type of ruddy guy. Very Happy

Like you say, damned good to be spoilt for choice, and I too can't bear to part with damn good bikes for what I would consider buttons.

Attila

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play bud, 79 and still riding is brilliant!

The new roubaix is a lovely looking machine too, still not sure why you'd clean your tyres with a wire brush though...

'15 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp 29er
'14 Claud Butler Torino SR4
'14 Whyte 629
Treehugger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet he won't anymore!! Smile
Nik Gnashers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to be at least your age before I considered a road bike too Very Happy

Enjoy it though matey !

And season's greetings.

Mustard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, it all depends on where you are able to ride. I ride alone and I'm not interested in clocking up fast, flat, main road milage amid all the loony car drivers.

I'm fortunate enough to live between the Yorkshire Dales and Yorkshire moors, both of which have countless miles of non busy side roads with mahussive up and back down hills and passes. That is where the fascination lies. A solid hard climb of somewhere like the Buttertubs, followed by a rip-roaring descent (speeds up to 50 m.p.h. if you want) is something to live in the memory.

But one of the best pleasures I find, is to set off over the moors at 3 0'clock in the morning on a summers fine day 100 miler, while the stars are still twinkling in the early morning sun rise. That's completely different to a frenetic mountain bike ride. It's like the difference between say, a bomber pilot setting out on a long haul mission, with all the expectation of what is to come, and a fighter pilot blasting about all action and thrill.

Well both are satisfying in their way, because both are on two wheels, and solely muscle powered. What more can anybody say!
Treehugger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post that Mustard, very evocative. I doubt very much I'll ever be a roadie but if that's what it takes to keep moving (especially at your years - please excuse the tone of that - not meant in any condescending way at all) then who knows?
Full of admiration for anyone that is so determined to squeeze every last bit of enjoyment out of life...more power to you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: