Encouragement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yeren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Encouragement Reply with quote

Wasnt too sure on putting it in but here goes

I was Reading Focus's post about using cycling to loose weight. in this is something that is very important to me right now.

What i mean by this is im using cycling to loose weight since i cannot run due to 2 operations.

First things first,. I'm 30 years old, married with 2 boys and a 3rd, which is a girl on the way. I have been putting on weight since my last operation on my knee 6 years ago. I had a Bursa removed, it is a liquid sack that is used to fill the void between tendons and bones when extending/retracting. In other words for me when running for periods of time it hurts a lot, but for a strange reason, cycling doesn't affect it.

So any-ways I've got to a point in my life where I have been told by the Military that I need to loose weight to pass a fitness test, (Rockport Walk) which I nigh on impossible for a bloke of 30 years of age to do unless they are under 85kg and highly fit. That is what the PT staff have said anyways. and thus keeping my job.

Im currently 106.8KG so in need of loosing 20kg fast, I have joined slimming world as i need documented signed proof of actively seeking weight management advice, and sticking to there diets and recieveing the weekly weigh in. I have ditched the car and for the last 6 weeks been cycling to work. It is only 7.5 miles from home to work. The very first day it took me nearly 50 mins to get to work and 52 mins to get home. But now i can do it in 30 mins 30 seconds, Still trying to break the sub 30 min mark. I would like to point out there are lots of hills around my house so makes it that little bit harder lol.

I work a horrid shift pattern ATM, 3 weeks on 2 weeks off, it may seem amazing but after 19 days of LONG ass hours, i relish the 17 days off and me and buddy try get out and do some longer bike rides.

I the last 2 weeks when we were free we managed to to Bodmin to Pagstow, 24 miles on a old train trak in about 1 hour 45 i think it was. and also a route of strating in plymouth, cycling up to the Moors and back again, 37 miles complated in 3.5 hours off road this time.

You may ask why am i writing this. its a little something for me to read and keep on top of, a little morale boost you might say. i can add to this with my progress and things that i find helpful. or things that im struggling with and could use some advice on. My wife runs a very succesful baby Blog and told me i should stat a cycling/fitness blog but im not sure.

But a bit of update from the beginning. when i first started 12 weeks ago i weighed in at 114kg with a 114cm waist, when i last got weighed/measured im now at 106.8kg and 107cm Waist. so it is slowly coming off.

Diet consists of mainly Vegetables, with small amount of carbs, (tend to eat a few more when i know im going for a big ride and mostly brown carbs), fat free meat/lean meats and LOTS of fluids ie water or juice. I have only just started slimming world. Thursday just gone (27th June) so will find out this week if there new DIET is any good.

Sorry if this seems a little confuzzled, kinda nervous about postiing this as it is very personal and i know it will bore alot too Razz

I'm sure i will have lots of questions at some point anyways

Thanks for the read

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Rosebud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exercise and healthy eating. Your on your way to success Smile . Watch out for the sneaky calories in drinks and snacks.

Tell us how Slimming World goes for you Smile

PS will we have to call you Mr Charles Atlas from now on Wink
Nant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are doing well. Sounds pretty similar to myself.

Im 28, Had major knee complications back in April, tore ligaments and destroyed my meniscus. My weight ballooned from 15 stone to 17.8 stone. Started dieting in July last year. Couldnt do too much exercise wise. But had surgery on my knee in November last year! Started cycling again in March, slowly building it up and sticking a 2000 calorie diet. Cycling about 24 miles every day to and fro work. Now weigh 14 stone 4! Amazing what a bit of dieting and exercise does!
Yeren

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Nant,

Had my weigh in. Lost 0.8 kg in a week. But have been encouraged that I will loose weight but no not too much due to turning it into muscle. Well apparently.

So Down to 106.1kg or 16st10 lbs in queens English. Only done cycling to work since Sunday. But still covered 55 miles. Was unfortunate last night as I just set off for work and the chain snapped. Quick phone to the wife pick me up and dropped me at the LBS, fixed for free under warranty. Even sorted the rear mech that I said was slightly ajar.

So back on the bike this morning. Got a nice 65 mile trip planned in 4 weeks time. Cannot cycle leasurly when on work shift patterns.

downhill_kitty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeren wrote:
Nice one Nant,

Had my weigh in. Lost 0.8 kg in a week. But have been encouraged that I will loose weight but no not too much due to turning it into muscle. Well apparently.

So Down to 106.1kg or 16st10 lbs in queens English. Only done cycling to work since Sunday. But still covered 55 miles. Was unfortunate last night as I just set off for work and the chain snapped. Quick phone to the wife pick me up and dropped me at the LBS, fixed for free under warranty. Even sorted the rear mech that I said was slightly ajar.

So back on the bike this morning. Got a nice 65 mile trip planned in 4 weeks time. Cannot cycle leasurly when on work shift patterns.

As you are involved in a sport which builds muscle - I would advise using a tape measure rather than scales to measure your progress (or as well as). This way you will be able to see the inches disappearing instead of going, oh, I haven't lost, I've gained.

It sounds like you are bang on the right type of plan with a nice healthy diet and plenty of exercise, the pounds will melt away. My other half (Ukan Sodoff) has also been using pedal power to shift the pounds, he is now at about 92 kg and is generally losing 2-4 kg per month. The main thing is to keep at it, set a realistic diet that you are happy to eat and to continue eating as the MAIN thing to go wrong with dieting is cutting out all the good things (cake, etc) - you just need to moderate, a little of what you fancy does you good!!!

Best of luck and keep us all posted as to how you get on Wink

Yeren

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigh in number 2,

Covered over 130 miles this week on the commute to and from work. Havent been able to get out and do anything else due to the silly shift times.

kinda went off plan with the diet, eating a little more than i should of done and treating myself more often.

One day i had 2 mini chocolate muffins with tiramisu icecream, and that was the day before weight in.

Anyways another 2.5lbs lost so im down to exactly 105kg now or 16st 7.5lbs in queens english.

Just another 1st 7lbs to go before ive lost 10% of my starting body weight for slimming world. but when i first started dieting back 3 months ago i have lost 8kg in total. Doctor still thinks i should be loosing it alot quicker and gave me a bollocking for not doing so. Little jumped up pr**k lol. im loosing weight at a steady pace not doing one of these fad diets where you pile it on as soon as you finish it.

Also been nagging the wife into purchasing a roadie as i know there are a few cycles clubs down Plymouth way, and i could join them on there novice rides, IIRC 14 mph average which doesn't seem too bad, i don't mind being at the back but i average 15 mph on the 8 miles to work everyday and there are some tasty hills involved with that. but she keeps saying NO as i have just bought the HT.

Anyway, I'm planning a nice 65 mile route from Bodmin to Newqauy via Pagstow on camel trail when i get back from holiday on the Th July with a mate of mine, stupid amount of hills but were planning on being out for a good 8 hours probably lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: