Enduro Racing in the UK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Attila

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Enduro Racing in the UK Reply with quote

I just can't get my head around why enduro race series have so many problems in the UK.

the British Enduro Series (BES) has just announced that it has cancelled the 2017 series due to financial issues and low rider numbers. Last year we lost UK Enduro and Epic Cymru as well.

'trail riding' and enduro bikes are the biggest sellers in the industry at the moment, mountain biking is rapidly growing as a sport, trail centres are full every weekend and new ones are popping up almost weekly so why aren't people interested in having a go at racing any more? XC racing seems to have almost disappeared in the south west too, Bristol Bikefest has been cancelled this year as well and that was a brilliant event.

do you think it is because people equate racing with fitness and fitness seems to be a bit of a dirty word in mountain biking? every time I ride at a trail centre there are always groups of people hanging around at the top of every climb (even the little ones). I must have passed 40ish people in one lap of Verderers at the forest of dean last Friday, most of them on top end bikes too. the group I normally ride with are the same too, some of them seem to think that 1 or 2 rides a month will somehow get them fit!? I've tried suggesting that they do something in the week, a run, a road ride or a session or 2 on a turbo trainer and they look at me as if I've grown a second head!

I love my riding and I love the buzz you get from racing (even if I am dog slow) but even though the sport is getting more popular and the pros are getting more coverage it seems to me like grass roots racing is on the decline. The whole situation is just confusing to me...

sorry for the ramble, I just started typing and this drivel came out Laughing

'15 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp 29er
'14 Claud Butler Torino SR4
'14 Whyte 629

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Doomanic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have a go, but old age, lack of fitness and fear are putting me off. I'm working on the last two, but there's eff all I can do about the first... Laughing

I often seen folks stood around at the top of climbs and it both amuses me and pisses me off as they are usually the same people who have passed me on the previous climb. I am guilty of it myself, although only once; I've been to Cannock twice, once on my own and once with a group of mates. It took twice as long with the group. Shocked

MTBs in general and Enduro bikes in particular are status bikes. It's all about what you've got, not what you do with it. My Nuke is way more bike than I need or am capable of using but I bought it anyway, because I could. I'd love a Scalp, Pulse or Demo8, but I'd never get the best out of it.

'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Attila

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomanic wrote:
I'd love to have a go, but old age, lack of fitness and fear are putting me off. I'm working on the last two, but there's eff all I can do about the first... Laughing

Age isn't a problem buddy, one of the guys I was racing with at the Mini Enduro in FoD was 67 and beating loads of younger guys including me!

Doomanic wrote:

MTBs in general and Enduro bikes in particular are status bikes. It's all about what you've got, not what you do with it. My Nuke is way more bike than I need or am capable of using but I bought it anyway, because I could. I'd love a Scalp, Pulse or Demo8, but I'd never get the best out of it.

You are definitely on to something there, only the pros need a £5k+ carbon bling machine and you certainly don't need one for a lap of a blue route, but it would be very nice to have. I must admit though I get a lot of pleasure out of blasting past people on very expensive bikes on my cheap 2nd hand winter hardtail Very Happy

'15 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp 29er
'14 Claud Butler Torino SR4
'14 Whyte 629
Robmet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont mind it at all, its the same people who class the 10mile trail centre ride as a big day out. Once you get outside the 5mile blast zone surrounding the main carpark at a trail centre you pretty much get it to yourself.

They also seem to be wary of venturing out into open countryside, I never figured out if it simply wasn't 'gnarly' enough because of the lack of signposted 1foot dropoffs, or something to do with a lack of fitness/confidence that was stopping them.
Doomanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyhoo, I'm off to the FoD on Sunday to break my 2017 duck and do a few laps of the Family Trail on my 160mm travel gnarlpoon. Very Happy
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: