Ex smoker looking to improve breathing fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyP

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Ex smoker looking to improve breathing fitness Reply with quote

Hi all im 26 and 2 years ago stopped a 10 year habit of smoking 15plus a day. Best thing i ever did as far as im concerned as its got me playing football,biking everywhere and mainly saved my life lol.

The only thing is i still sometimes get out of breath much qucker than id like,whether it be on my bike or playing football,and get stitch a lot which is very frustrating while at football. But as its 6 a side we have rolling subs which isnt bad.

I do go to the gym quite regular and mainly use tread mill but cant really manage much more than a 10 minute run at around 6-7mph. But it seems i get out of breath more after a sprintim not too bad long distence wise.

Any tips to get me fitter fo those short bursts? Esp when it comes to playing 6 a side. But also at the top of some climbs on the bike i feel like my chest is going to explode lol.
I recently (last week) had a medical at work and i have a lung age of 24 which i was happy with.

Doing C2C in 2 weeks so really could do with being as fit as possible...

Thanks in advance

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
betty_swollox

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll take more than two weeks to get fitter mate

It took me ages to get fit after I quit smoking. I was coughing up loads of sh*t constantly, could hardly run whilst playing 5 a side and was just nackered straight away

Only way u will get fitter is by pushing yourself harder and keeping at it

When I first started going to the gym I could only manage 5 mins on treadmill. I gradually got that upto 30 mins but injured my ankle whilst playing footy so I haven't been on the treadmills for ages.

Honestly mate, keep at it. I smoked for 5 years and it took me a while to get fitter after quitting

Custom 2012 Transition TR450

.........and something else is on its way

Time to get as much out of life as possible.
JimmyP

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers fella!
When I said 2 weeks I know I won't get much fitter by then.
How long ago did you give up?

Would things like cutting drinking out help with fitness? I do enjoy a few ciders 3-4 times a week. Maybe I should knock that on the head
andyh

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are taking part in activities regularly and still finding yourself short of breath after 10 mins of exercise i'd go see the doc it could be your suffering from asthma or something else.

i like you gave up 2 yrs ago and not suffering the same symptoms so make me think it's not ex smoke related
JimmyP

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm maybe I should. It could be I'm not pushing myself hard enough?

Might be an idea to get checked out I spose for piece of mind. Think I'll pack in the drinking too
betty_swollox

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyh wrote:
if you are taking part in activities regularly and still finding yourself short of breath after 10 mins of exercise i'd go see the doc it could be your suffering from asthma or something else.

i like you gave up 2 yrs ago and not suffering the same symptoms so make me think it's not ex smoke related

Mate I had the same symptoms as the op for quite a while so I don't think its asthma. Obviously I'm not saying don't get it checked lol, just from my experience I was just unfit, had me lungs covered in shite and was eating way too many take aways lol

Custom 2012 Transition TR450

.........and something else is on its way

Time to get as much out of life as possible.
cheddar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say you haveto get to that point more often its like anything if you do 23 press ups every day one day youll do 24 just push yoirself to that point more and more and itll ease or you will find that it just takes longer for you to get that feeling
bluearsedfly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up 13 months ago after 19 years of smoking 20 a day.

It's only this past few months that my breathing has got to something like, I used to get breathless running up the stairs lol.

Now going out on the bike for a brisk couple of hours is nothing. At the same time I stopped eating shite and started regular exercise meaning I've lost over 4 stone in weight too.

Keep at it and it will get easier, as Betty Swollox I went through a stage of coughing up all sorts. I always thought stories of you coughing all the crap back up was an old wives tale and when it happened to me I put it down to a heavy cold. But after speaking to my doc he said it is the tar deposits moving in your lungs!

Well done for stopping and keep it up mate!
scott 20

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluearsedfly wrote:
I gave up 13 months ago after 19 years of smoking 20 a day.

It's only this past few months that my breathing has got to something like, I used to get breathless running up the stairs lol.

Now going out on the bike for a brisk couple of hours is nothing. At the same time I stopped eating shite and started regular exercise meaning I've lost over 4 stone in weight too.

Keep at it and it will get easier, as Betty Swollox I went through a stage of coughing up all sorts. I always thought stories of you coughing all the crap back up was an old wives tale and when it happened to me I put it down to a heavy cold. But after speaking to my doc he said it is the tar deposits moving in your lungs!

Well done for stopping and keep it up mate!

13 months, well done. how long did it take you to loose that 4 stone mate.
bluearsedfly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again over the past 13 months mate.

Not really dieted as such, just stopped eating shite all the time. Chocolate was my worst enemy and it wasn't until I added it up how much I ate over a week that it dawned on me how much I was putting away lol.

I just try to eat a better balance of foods. I was 32, well over weight and smoking 20 a day.

It was also the thought of the kids having to see their Dad in hospital in 20 years time due to smoking or similar, just made me feel selfish tbh.

Getting back into biking was an extension of me giving up so I have quitting to thank for that.

Only minor was that I've gone from a 36/37" waist down to a 30" and had to buy new everything lol. On the plus side it is amazing what it can do for your self confidence.
scott 20

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluearsedfly wrote:
Again over the past 13 months mate.

Not really dieted as such, just stopped eating shite all the time. Chocolate was my worst enemy and it wasn't until I added it up how much I ate over a week that it dawned on me how much I was putting away lol.

I just try to eat a better balance of foods. I was 32, well over weight and smoking 20 a day.

It was also the thought of the kids having to see their Dad in hospital in 20 years time due to smoking or similar, just made me feel selfish tbh.

Getting back into biking was an extension of me giving up so I have quitting to thank for that.

Only minor was that I've gone from a 36/37" waist down to a 30" and had to buy new everything lol. On the plus side it is amazing what it can do for your self confidence.

Thanks for the reply mate, well done again.
Adwerd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really good. Congrats dear. I am also a smoker and i think you can imagine that how its difficult to stop smoking. Actually i want to quit this but it's can't happen by me. So if you have any idea please share it.
welshfarmer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on 1st Jan, though it is not the first time. I tend to be able to stay off them for 2 years and then will go through a stressful period and start again for another year before quitting again. I actually find quitting to be relatively simple provided I have convinced myself that I really want to quit. I work on the little known fact that nicotine is physically addicitve and smoking itself is a habitual addiction. The physical addiction to nicotine is the one our body finds most difficult to kick BUT, and it is a big BUT, this addiction only lasts for 3 days. Go cold turkey for 3 days and after that your body no longer needs the nicotine kick. HOWEVER, the metal addiction to the habit of smoking can last a lifetime, and it is that feeling that you should be doing something in your break/with your coffee or pint, or when you finish doing something and need a reward which will have you reaching for the fags....... I always tell myself if I can go 3 days without smoking so that my body is free from the addiction then it is then simply down to me and my mental strength to beat the habit. I tell myself over and over I am strong enough to do so. Always works for me.

Just sad that I will be weak at some point in the future (probably after a drink) and will no doubt start again. Mad Confused

But it has made a huge difference to my fitness for sure. Laughing
Ness

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshfarmer wrote:
I work on the little known fact that nicotine is physically addicitve and smoking itself is a habitual addiction. The physical addiction to nicotine is the one our body finds most difficult to kick BUT, and it is a big BUT, this addiction only lasts for 3 days. Go cold turkey for 3 days and after that your body no longer needs the nicotine kick.

That fact depends entirely on who you listen to and what medical journals you've read.

From what research I've done, smoking is entirely an habitual addiction. The chemicals in nicotine which keep you coming back for more have totally left the body after 6-7 hours. This means that as long as you get a good night's sleep, your body is nicotine free and no longer craving every morning you wake up.

Every single morning you spark up a fag is the habitual addiction talking, NOT the physical or chemical.

Nicotine/smoking residue can be found in your blood or saliva for weeks after your last fag, but these are not the addictive chemicals.

It's all in your heads Shocked Shocked Shocked
Twiglet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.... Not sure I agree with the addiction stuff. I had nightmares trying to give up a 15 year, 20 a day habit but a prescription of Champix worked miracles for me and I suddenly found all the cravings went and it wasn't too difficult anymore.

Just like Bluearsedfly, Betty and the OP I also suffered with my breathing and a tight chest for longer than I expected to - unfortunately for me my doc has confirmed I've done some permanent damage so there's only so much improvement ill ever see. Sad

I still reach the top of short climbs feeling like my legs have stopped working and my chest is gonna explode but have realised that part of this is me naturally pushing myself to my limits regardless of how fit I am. I'm sure I could ride them slower etc but a bit of me enjoys the challenge!

Keep off the cigs and on with the training - you'll only ever feel better for it. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: