Five Strip & Rebuild, ready for spring
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubist88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GbGaz wrote:
Cubist88 wrote:
Euans2 wrote:
If there was an award for thread of the year then this would undoubtedly get my vote!

Well done mate

Literally couldn't agree more with this!

One thing, where did you get that syringe from? I got one from Epic Bleed solutions, it's great but the increments aren't marked very well between the main numbers. The one you have looks really accurate.

Hey thanks mate!!! Its from ebay - give me an hour or so and I'll sort you a link out Cool

good man! Cheers Gaz.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
GbGaz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cubist88 wrote:
Euans2 wrote:
If there was an award for thread of the year then this would undoubtedly get my vote!

Well done mate

One thing, where did you get that syringe from? I got one from Epic Bleed solutions, it's great but the increments aren't marked very well between the main numbers. The one you have looks really accurate.

Here you go mate!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301088324003

Euans2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GbGaz wrote:
Cubist88 wrote:
Euans2 wrote:

Well done mate

Here you go mate!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301088324003

I've been meaning to buy one of these for ages Very Happy cheers mate
GbGaz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then.... a little of todays activity!!

Got the 'skeleton' lol of the bike out and had an hour or so in the garage with it. First of all put the wheels on and generally admired it for a bit!!
Next, slotted the chainset into place with pedals on and had a sit on it to set the 'full' height of the dropper post. That done, I then spent ages getting the headset bearings tension right and also making sure the bars were lined up in comparison to the front wheel ( Good god I'm so OCD about that!!).
Once happy with that, I removed the windows from the shifters in an attempt to 'de-clutter' the bars....still not 100% with them and will more than likely get some hope adaptors, so I can then put the reverb control under the bars on the l/h side. Set the brake levers where they need to be as well as the shifters. Tightened down the grips and then put the hope bar plugs back in.
Finally, I adjusted the front caliper - was rubbing like crazy when I initially refitted the front wheel, so centred it and bolted it back down.
Had a trip to the lbs then to pick up an SLX chainset - the last part I need - so no excuse not to finish it now!! As any of you that have followed this thread will know, I was planning to put a hope BB in. Have shelved this idea (for now!!) for sensible reasons!! It's want more than need after all - £80 for a BB that I don't really need ....especially seeing as there is one in the box with the new chainset. Seeked a fair bit of advice regarding having it faced, and the general opinion being that seeing as its a pretty new bike designed to take an external BB, it shouldn't need facing - only way I'll know is to remove the current one!! Once removed, if it is 'pre-faced' then I'll put the new shimano one in prior to fitting the new chainset.

Jobs to do??
I need to clean both mechs and the chain in readiness to be refitted. Then remove the old BB, fit the new one and chainset and pedals.
Then I can put the new gear cable inners in, and set the gears up and get it running.
Once that is all done, then the shock can be removed and stripped and serviced.
Still plenty to do, but light is at the end of the tunnel!!

Cubist88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legend. Cheers!

Bike's looking sweet as. You're the only person I've ever seen to put a paper towel between the bars and the wall. Fair play to you mate, clearly treating her with the respect she deserves Wink
GbGaz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome for the link guys, I'm sure if anyone looked at my recent ebay search history they would think I'm some kind of junkie lol!!!

As for the paper towel?? Yeah getting respect now, but once out on the trails it'll be thrashed!!

Hop3y

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter
PulledByAMalamute

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cubist88 wrote:
You're the only person I've ever seen to put a paper towel between the bars and the wall. Fair play to you mate, clearly treating her with the respect she deserves Wink

6mm foam. Surprised

What angle have you got the bars on at? On the centre line mine are on at 4.5. Feels OK, albeit not tried other angles yet. Just sometimes when it catches my eye, it feels the logos are rolled forward a little too much.

Previous bikes
- Canyon Torque EX Vertride (2014)
- Canyon Nerve AM 6 (2012)
GbGaz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hop3y wrote:
What a thread.

Cheers mate!

GbGaz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PulledByAMalamute wrote:
Cubist88 wrote:
You're the only person I've ever seen to put a paper towel between the bars and the wall. Fair play to you mate, clearly treating her with the respect she deserves Wink

6mm foam. Surprised

What angle have you got the bars on at? On the centre line mine are on at 4.5. Feels OK, albeit not tried other angles yet. Just sometimes when it catches my eye, it feels the logos are rolled forward a little too much.

Lol I'm not alone then!! Will check the angle for you in the morning - not sure off the top of my head!

GbGaz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GbGaz wrote:
PulledByAMalamute wrote:
Cubist88 wrote:

6mm foam. Surprised

Lol I'm not alone then!! Will check the angle for you in the morning - not sure off the top of my head!

Just checked and its 2.5 degrees on the centre line - perfect for me.

GbGaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very productive day today, got loads done and even managed a very quick test ride up and down the street!!
First of all, whipped the bottom bracket out - if doing this yourself, remember on the left hand side (none drive) anti clock loosens and clock tightens.
On the right hand side (drive side) clock loosens and anti clock tightens.
Once out, gave the shell a good clean with brake cleaner and a CLEAN rag. Not going into the layout of spacers and BB shell sizes - thats a minefield in itself!!! Just put the spacers back in mine as they came out!
The shell 'lip' is unpainted 'faced' as you will see, so no need to have it faced. Gave the threads a coating of copperslip (grease is fine - ex motortrade bod so love my copperslip!!) in readyness for the new BB.
Upon inspection, was not happy at all with the threads on the new BB, so rejected them and refitted the original after giving it a good clean.
Gave the front mech a good clean and refitted that too.

GbGaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now to the chainset. First of all gave the centre a good smear of copperslip and then slotted it through the BB. Then attached the other crankarm and screwed on the pre-tensioner. Screw the pretensioner all the way up (to take out the slack on the arms) then back it off and nip it up again.
Then pushed the l/h crank arms tab in and began to tighten its bolts. Work them in evenly together - half a turn on front one, half a turn on back one, half a turn on front, half a turn on back - the cranks have a label on telling you what to torque them too.
Applied some grease to the threads of the new pedals and fitted those.

GbGaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now its time for my least favourite bit - setting up the gears!!

New cable inners at the ready, they were greased and threaded through the outers, which were in good condition.
Had already gave the rear mech a good clean - took the jockey wheels out too and gave them a grease/lube. If you have stripped the cage like I have and are then unsure which way around the jockey wheels go back in...... one is marked as centeron pulley - thats the top one. As you tighten on them you will notice that the bottom one locks up. I added some threadlock to that one and once locked up backed it off a turn. That may not be the correct way, but makes total sense to me!!! In time will be adding hope jockey wheels...just to feed my hope obsession!!!
Once the mechs were in situ, then it was time for the final new part.. - the chain!! Cassette is perfect, but new chainset = new chain for me!! So a brand new SLX chain was purchased!!

GbGaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All assembled then! Had a bit of a ride up and down the street to try and set the gears up. In all honesty it just wasn't possible - was so windy that I just couldn't truly hear where it was rubbing, let alone get a feel for where the indexing was at, let alone make a decision where to tweak it!!
The main thing is its built and running (YAY!!) and needs a day of playing to get it where it needs to be - gears, brakes, pedals, suspension, post and one or two other bits!! Just total set up likes and preferences really.

I'm chuffed to bits with it - IMHO its a brilliant bike anyway, but the upgrades and tweaks just finish it for me...really pleased with it and its spec, its just so perfect for me and my type of riding. Once its all running perfectly, then the shocks coming off for a strip and rebuild - of which I shall do a 'how to' on this thread too. After that?? Well I just can't wait for a spring/summer/ autumn of total trail centre fun - and maybe a trip upto the yorkshire moors and further up north too!!

To part with, just a few pics of how it looks now and a few of its upgrades.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: