Hydrologic Brake Issue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrAndyBear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Hydrologic Brake Issue Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

First off a big hello, I am new to this forum and also relatively new to Mountain Biking...

I recently got a bike from halfords (not my choice, but it was through my works R2W scheme so didn't have a choice!)

It is a brilliant bike- the best I have ever owned!

However my hydrologic brakes don't seem to do a thing until I pull them about 3/4 of the way back... when I collected the bike I questioned this, and he told me this is how they are meant to be as hydrologic brakes are, and I quote "modular".

Now, I'm totally new to these brakes and wasn't sure whether to believe him. After a few days of general use I took my bike down some trials and I didn't feel comfortable... I couldn't use small amounts of braking, it was all or nothing!

I took it to an independent bike shop and they told me they had been set up incorrectly and they they probably had a bubble in them. Now they are VERY anti-halfords but I believe them!

I then took my bike back to halfords FOUR TIMES over the next week and each time was told something different! "I didn't have time to fix them today, bring it back tomorrow", "I've had a look and that's as good as they will go","that's how they should be"

So my question is, what do you think? If this is how they should be I guess I will have to get used to them... or are halfords just denying any wrong doing?

Thanks in advance!

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
stu8975

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brakes are hit and miss in terms of how they feel, some are either on or off when you pull the lever, some have good modulation.

Halfords don't assemble the brakes, just like any other shop doesn't do it (inc. the shop you took it to). They are assembled and bled either in the factory or by the manufacturer and may or may not sit about on a shelf for god knows how long before they are put on a bike.

The only way you'll know is to have them bled, but don't be surprised if there's no change.

As far as the bike shop being anti halfords, its common, just like they'd be anti any other competitor (after all they want you to pay them to fix your bike).

Normal procedure as far as getting it fixed is to take it back and leave it. I'm not aware of any shop that does a same day/fix while you wait service, unless they have no work on or its a 2 min job, so halfords telling you they can't do it today is perfectly normal.

If you are sceptical about halfords then take it to another shop and pay to have it done...expect circa £15 per brake, thats the only way you'll find out if theres a problem with them.
four-rings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brakes are they?

Different brands have different designs, thus different feelings.

'Dale: CAAD8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: