Is this good enough base for a future build
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Is this good enough base for a future build Reply with quote

Hi there,
I'm new to the forums and a bit noob when it comes to MTBing. I've been into MTB for quite some time long time ago, but about 8 years ago I had to stop. Since then I only done commuting on my MTB for about a year (winter included). That was 3 years ago. For the past 3 years my bike was unused, but I decided enough is enough. Done a full service to it and started off-road cycling again.

Anyway, the reason I've created this thread is to ask for some advice. My bike which I had 8+ years ago was a custom built Scott with aluminum frame, Magura hydraulic brakes (very expensive at the time) and Shimano SLX groupset. At the time it was a crazy expensive bike (even the frame was custom made in a brushed aluminum colour with no paint whatsoever). That bike is gone however and the one I have now is not a state of the art bike.

It's the 2009 Giant XTC4 bike, at the time it was £600 bike, so low to mid range price bracket. I understand that this is one of the mass produced bikes, but it has been a long time since I was into MTBing and I don't know much about it anymore.

Here is the full list of features and parts:
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/mountain/2442/32687/?collec tions_id=4

So as in title, if you were the owner of this bike, would you build around it (upgrade wheels, gears, brakes, etc) or would you sell it and start from scratch elsewhere?

The question is a bit theoretical for now, because I firstly need to see that I am committed enough to justify spending £xxxx again.

I am interested in your thoughts nevertheless Cool

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
nick dv

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO use the bike as it is, and get back into biking. Don't go too mad on upgrading immediately, but see what you could do to make little improvements over time - unless you're addicted to bling of course Wink If something breaks change it, but if the gears, brakes etc are doing their job, there's no point in changing for the sake of it - some parts are expensive and by the time you have changed everything you've listed you may as well put that money towards a new bike Wink

Just get out an enjoy what you've got Smile
jaundice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick dv wrote:
IMHO use the bike as it is, and get back into biking. Don't go too mad on upgrading immediately, but see what you could do to make little improvements over time - unless you're addicted to bling of course Wink If something breaks change it, but if the gears, brakes etc are doing their job, there's no point in changing for the sake of it - some parts are expensive and by the time you have changed everything you've listed you may as well put that money towards a new bike Wink

What he^^^ said, if you're comfortable with the bike then ride it as it is, my MTB is 9 years old this year and I still love it!
Ad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, as I said it is still just a theoretical question. Most likely I will do all my cycling on this bike this season, but I already think about future (don't we all).

For example, the wheels in this bike are a bit rubbish (at least I think so). So I thought about maybe upgrading the wheels this season. But there is no point investing in this bike if it is not good enough platform for a future better build. Hence my question.
PapaLazarou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike... You've got a good frame with some budget-end components on it to keep the price down when new, so a good base to work with... in time... The XTC1 was a XTR laden cross country whippet with the same frame as you have there I think.

Why replace bits now that don't need replacing?

Pat.

2013 Giant Trance X2 29er
1993 Orange Clockwork 26er
wolfenstein

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick dv wrote:

+1
Ad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaLazarou wrote:
Nice bike... You've got a good frame with some budget-end components on it to keep the price down when new, so a good base to work with... in time... The XTC1 was a XTR laden cross country whippet with the same frame as you have there I think.

Why replace bits now that don't need replacing?

Pat.

Good point. There is nothing major that needs replacing at the moment. However many parts now squeak and click.

My rear disc is slightly touching my pads slowing my back wheel and making a audible squeeks. The bike is just after a service and the guy said that he had a bit of a nightmare trying to set up this break.

One of the pedals is clicking.

My seat is making some strange noises too.

Sometimes when I change my front gear from 3 down to 2, the chain gets stuck for a second causing a complete stop to the whole mechanism which sometimes causes my feet to slide off the pedals, because it is very sudden.

Nothing major but still makes me think how long will I get from this bike.

I do like that frame, it is exactly my size and a bit longer than in my previous bike, which is a good thing. THe downside is that it will not fit a rear suspension.

If you were to upgrade some parts what would it be? I'm thinking (in this order):
wheels
fork
brakes
gears
thebiggoldfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giant frames are bombproof they'll handle anything you throw at it ride it and replace what you break for the moment then wait for the end of year sales and slap some better forks brakes wheels etc on it Very Happy
jgmu97

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i were you, id choose and buy the forks first , then get the wheels as forks now have different axels and if you found a really nice set of forks with a 15QR and your new wheels that you've already bought a standard QR , then you have a problem
Ad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

IIRC the rule of thumb is that I should replace my 100mm Dart 2 fork only with another 100mm fork, otherwise I will be causing additional stresses and stress points on my frame on a rough terrain.

And if I'm not mistaken the biggest overall improvement I can make to this bike is by changing the wheels. No other upgrade will improve the bike as much as the wheels.

Am I right?

Also, I'm not sure what do you mean by 15QR and QR Embarassed
Ad

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to get some advice with regard to upgrading wheels. I'm thinking about buying a complete wheelset and I was thinking about Mavic Crossride, but am really unsure on the which ones should I go for. For example:

Here are the full specs of my bike:
Quote:
MODEL XtC 4
SIZE L (20")
FRAME AluxX SL aluminium, Fluid Formed
FORK Rock Shox Dart 2 100mm travel, TurnKey lock out
SHOCK N/A
HANDLEBAR Giant A5 aluminium O.S.riser
STEM Giant A5 aluminium O.S.
SEAT POST Giant A3 aluminium
SADDLE Giant MTB Performance
PEDALS Steel with resin body and toe clips
SHIFTERS Shimano Deore 27 speed RapidFire Plus
FRONT MECH Shimano Deore
REAR MECH Shimano SLX Shadow
BRAKES Giant Root hydraulic disc, 160mm rotors
BRAKE LEVER Giant Root
CASSETTE Shimano HG50 11-34
CHAIN Shimano HG73
CRANKS Shimano M442 44/32/22
BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano UN26 cartridge
RIMS Alex DP-17 26"
HUBS Formula disc
SPOKES Stainless steel
TYRES Kenda Nevegal 26x2.1'' Stick-E front, DTC rear

Giant Bicycles Archive

Do you think Mavic Crossride is a good choice?
jamie_moe

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently searching for one of these frames to work my build around, had a go on a friends the other day and just fell for it, IMO if you feel comfortable with the frame and it's doing what you need it to do then there's no need to change it, just modify the spec a bit to get it up to scratch and enjoy your return to mountain biking Very Happy
Ad

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jamie.

I must admit that I look quite a bit on full susp bikes lately, but I think I'll work a little bit on this one first and see where it gets me. I've ordered new flat pedals yesterday and now thinking about the wheels. Just not sure are the Mavic Crossride a good choice and which ones to go for, hence my question above.
jamie_moe

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pedals did you get? And when it comes to wheeles I don't have a clue
Ad

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap and cheerful, but good reviews Smile

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/33/39136/wellgo-916-lu313-pedal-v 8-copy.html

in white

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: