Let see your single speeders!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JayT



Joined: 30 Apr 2013
Posts: 74
Location: Dartmoor Nearly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had a eye on this and your bikes look great ive got an old GT avalanche bike in the shed am tempted to go single speed as ive started to strip the bike any way . Is it possible to go single on the cheap or does it cost lots of moneys ? .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Hendo



Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 1163

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the middle chainring on the gt, buy the superstar tensioner and singlespeed kit for a total of £20. Shorten your chain and job done
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JayT



Joined: 30 Apr 2013
Posts: 74
Location: Dartmoor Nearly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Hendo for the info Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hendo



Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 1163

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how you get on
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
motozulu
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes always room for more S/S porn Razz make sure you post piccies.

I did it on the cheap - lot of second hand stuff - cost me about £110 in the end. I did buy new brakes too but that was because I wanted them, didn't really need them.

S/S chain from Halfords=£6.57
Rigid Forks (cro/mo) from Tredz=£68
Rear cog, front ring, chain tensioner and spacers all bought second hand for £30.

HTH
Back to top
James Q



Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Posts: 630
Location: Colchester

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows everyone getting on with there SS's? Keep thinking about changing my Cube to SS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nant



Joined: 16 Oct 2012
Posts: 241

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the simplicity of it. Its getting more use than my other bike at the moment.
_________________
On-One Codeine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
James Q



Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Posts: 630
Location: Colchester

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, have you got any pics of yours completed? I keep getting tempted at changing mine to SS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
European Bob



Joined: 15 Apr 2013
Posts: 1303
Location: at the back of the pack puffing and panting

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hendo wrote:
Working on yet another last night, I'll take an outdoor picture when I get round to riding it. Not sure if the 32-16 will be ok, may get a 14 just incase. Also swapping the jockey wheel tensioner for a sturdy roller type one.


I love the look of this bike I can't wait to get a small frame to start building my single speed up

_________________
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my bikes for what I told her i got them for

CUBE ATTENTION 2013

ORANGE SUB5 2003 1x10 (34tf-42trex-11 rear)

2013 ON-ONE Inbreed SSFR 34-18
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
glynn six o



Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Posts: 296
Location: sheffield

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hendo wrote:
Use the middle chainring on the gt, buy the superstar tensioner and singlespeed kit for a total of £20. Shorten your chain and job done

it might not be quite as simple as that.
you might find that your existing chain doesn't work on a SS conversion kit on the rear.
when I converted my GT AVALANCHE I ordered everything from the net. and the chain wasn't compatible even tho it stated in the spec that it was for SS.(it was a BMX chain) I took some advise (cant remember where from )to use an 8 speed chain, and it worked fine. also I was having problems with the superstar tensioner, and even tho they sent me a replacement (eventually) I gave up on it and got one from on-one.
basically just because components are supposed to be compatible, sometimes they arnt. having said that, its running fine now and makes a great commuter bike.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peterh



Joined: 03 Feb 2014
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decided to make my voodoo hoodoo single speed, but due to being unfit and fat i have decided to go 32/22, i have sprockets to change to 18,16 and 14 as i get stronger legs....

will post a pic at the weekend
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nant



Joined: 16 Oct 2012
Posts: 241

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Q wrote:
Awesome, have you got any pics of yours completed? I keep getting tempted at changing mine to SS!


This is my basic s s running 36/18.Was going to buy a rigid fork but have now bought a ragely frame and shall move this to single speed.Then sell this frame and bits.

_________________
On-One Codeine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killswitch73



Joined: 22 Jun 2011
Posts: 847
Location: Annan

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glynn six o wrote:
Hendo wrote:
Use the middle chainring on the gt, buy the superstar tensioner and singlespeed kit for a total of £20. Shorten your chain and job done

it might not be quite as simple as that.
you might find that your existing chain doesn't work on a SS conversion kit on the rear.
when I converted my GT AVALANCHE I ordered everything from the net. and the chain wasn't compatible even tho it stated in the spec that it was for SS.(it was a BMX chain) I took some advise (cant remember where from )to use an 8 speed chain, and it worked fine. also I was having problems with the superstar tensioner, and even tho they sent me a replacement (eventually) I gave up on it and got one from on-one.
basically just because components are supposed to be compatible, sometimes they arnt. having said that, its running fine now and makes a great commuter bike.


I have an old GT avalanche frame i want to turn single speed but as its not been used since i bought it in 2003 i have no idea what headset will fit it .

I got frame, seat post , sadle , stem, handlebars, crank , brakes , wheels , tyres , tubes , just need single 36 upfront and want to go 14t on the back if that exists , chain and tensioner . just want it as a dossing go to the shops bike instead of taking the car , the shops are 4 miles away haha ..oh and rigid forks .

and what do i need to do to make a rear wheel with a 10 speed hub into a single speed hub ..?

_________________
Scott scale 700 Premium 2016/ YT Capra CF Pro Race 2016/ Giant Propel Advanced 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
motozulu
Guest





PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear S/S cogs are 10 speed hub compatible (just double check when you buy) got my 16t from On-One and you just whip off the cassette and slide the rear cog over the hub. You will need some spacers to get the chainline straight (v. important) and you can get spacer sets dead cheap on ebay.

HTH.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/SKOOSSGA/on-one-groove-armada-single-speed -sprocket#reviewstab

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/SKOOSSKK/on-one-singlespeed-converter-kit
Back to top
killswitch73



Joined: 22 Jun 2011
Posts: 847
Location: Annan

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motozulu wrote:
The rear S/S cogs are 10 speed hub compatible (just double check when you buy) got my 16t from On-One and you just whip off the cassette and slide the rear cog over the hub. You will need some spacers to get the chainline straight (v. important) and you can get spacer sets dead cheap on ebay.

HTH.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/SKOOSSGA/on-one-groove-armada-single-speed -sprocket#reviewstab

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/SKOOSSKK/on-one-singlespeed-converter-kit


thanks for this pal ..will get this single speed going in a few weeks .

need to source what head set i need , but i can just but a few from CRC and send back what i dont need .

_________________
Scott scale 700 Premium 2016/ YT Capra CF Pro Race 2016/ Giant Propel Advanced 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum