Long time lurker. Got a new toy to play with
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBandit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Long time lurker. Got a new toy to play with Reply with quote

Been on here for a while but never really posted as didnt have much to say. But for the past year an a half have been using my Felt six eighty for riding over at Afan.
Have loved doing the trails even if the bike wasnt really made for it but the Felt has done me proud. But since last year Iv had this itch that I havent been able to scratch.
Sunday that all changed, I decided to grow a pair and see about sorting it. And well Ill let the pics fo the talking Wink[/img]

Ever since I started to see these every now an again Iv wanted to have a go, did look into seeing if I could hire one but nothing around.
So have dived head first an got one. Took it out on its maiden voyage today and am very impressed overall. How easy it climbs an how it just barrels on the downhill sections.
The only problem I found today is that having a 4.5 inch tyre, it kicks up much more mud than a regular tyre haha, got absolutely covered but enjoyed every second.
So yeah I highly recommend a fat bike, loads of fun.

Will add this here now but will add to the other section later. But Im looking for riding partners to enjoy some trails with. I mainly ride at Afan because I live about half an hour away Very Happy At the mo its just me an my mate, but hes not always available. So would be cool to tide with soneone rather ghan on my own, dont mind it but a bit of company is always nice.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Rigga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like a go on one of these they look a laugh. How do you get on with punctures then, Must be a swine to pump the tyres up!
MPX309

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow Welshie, welcome to (talking) on the forum. Nice phatbike!
Gunner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Would love a go on that. Wink

Attila

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper fat, I like that a lot!

'15 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp 29er
'14 Claud Butler Torino SR4
'14 Whyte 629
Threevok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Cool
MrBandit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well havent had a puncture as Iv only just got it, an have only had to let a bit of air out of each tyre.
Will cross that bridge when I get to it I guess Very Happy

But yeah loads of fun, would highlg suggest that you at least have a go if your ever given the chance.

Havent been for a ride since tuesday as I done my back in. But desperatly want to get back on it. Just need to take it easy for a couple of days now, unfortunately Wink
Nik Gnashers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really fancy having a fatty as a 2nd bike.

It kinda crosses the gap between my old retro bikes but still with a modern twist.

That bike you have looks really nice.

bigcoose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an on one fatty and had it for about a year and I have to say that it's my favourite bike as it will go anywhere and do anything you throw at it.
Robmet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigga wrote:
I'd like a go on one of these they look a laugh. How do you get on with punctures then, Must be a swine to pump the tyres up!

haha, iv never thought of that. I bet blowing up a 4.5" tyre with a mini pump is a task you would forget for a while.

How do you find it climbing compared to your other bike?
MrBandit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting this bike to have a bit of weight to it. But its not heavy at all, I would even go as far as saying that it is slightly lighter than my felt.

From what I had seen an heard about Fat bikes, people saying they are heavier, takes more effort to climb an so on. I myself call that a load of rubbish. Im sure compared to a 3k, 4k plus bike then I would imagine that it would be heavier and so you would tell the difference. But seeing that Im a normal person and dont have that kind of money to throw around, this bike is as easy to climb with as my felt, pretty sure its a tad lighter and loads more fun on the downhill.

Obviously Im still quite new to using the fatty so Im still experimenting with tyre pressures and again would imagine that a lower pressure would be a little more effort to climb, however with the larger tyres you dont notice all the small rocks and bumps so does feel a bit smoother actually, thus feeling easier to climb with.

Anyways without boring you all, My opinion so far is this is a load of fun, so much grip on the downhill that Im being bolder and a bit faster in sections. And I urge you to at least give it go if you ever have the chance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: