Looking for a winter frame.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Looking for a winter frame. Reply with quote

Unfortunately my Kinesis Racelight 4S has to go back and as they don't make this anymore, I'm looking for a replacement of some kind.

Needs to be 23.5 (57 or 58cm) with fittings for full mudguards. Colour or frame material not really an issue.

Anyone got anything?

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
stelfc2005

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a winter frame. Reply with quote

[quote="Steve Kish"]Unfortunately my Kinesis Racelight 4S has to go back quote]

for what reason steve ? ive been keeping my eye open for one of these (or a T2) frames as winter project build ! i heard of the fork issues but nothing regarding frames .
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I've spoken to Upgrade Bikes, the distributors, and all 4S frames are OK as they came out after the fork problems.

It's going back as there's a dent on the underside of a seat stay that was put there before it was painted. The real shame is that although the 4S is relatively new, firstly they abandoned making the black/blue one and left just the grey/orange one ... and now, they've 'modified' the range so all 4S have disc brake fittings with caliper fittings as well - bummer! Sad Unless you've got discs, looks like the T2 with DC07 forks.

Winter frames are quite rare these days and TBH, the only other ones I considered as suitable are the Tifosi CK7 and Dolan Preffiso, both of which seem quite nice.

So, looking for an old skool winter frame but with summer being what it is (wet, of course), I'm also looking at spending too much money on a modified Enigma Etape ti frame that will double as a winter bike as well as a summer bike for wet days, something that we seem to get a lot of. Would certainly be a better frame than the Kinesis and as you all know, I don't ride in the wet without mudguards.

In negotiations with Jim at Enigma as we speak as it will have to be dragged off the assembly line before they put the rack fittings on. In effect, this will be identical to my road Equinox but with just mudguard fittings and nothing else.

ShinSplint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can go wrong with the T2 personally. If i'm honest, if it was just a tad lighter I would happily take the 'guards off in the summer and use it all year round.

My Cervelo wins in the hills, but for general commuting and flattish rides i'm just as happy with the T2.

Robmet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats up with disc's Steve?

Embrace the change, they make more sense on a winter bike anyway. Easier to mount guards without having calipers to miss, zero wear on rims in winter grinding paste and consistent stopping in the wet.

Loads of nice bikes/frames to chose from with disc mounts.
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discs on a road bike are like pink Lycra shorts - only for girls!

Seriously, it would mean a new 11-speed gruppo as you can't get 10-speed disc levers and a new set of wheels. I'll stick with calipers.

Just heard from Enigma and they can't do it so looks like I'll be joining the Kinesis T2 / DC07 clan. Sad

Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribble 365 Sportive??

Spec it as you want

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-sportive-365/

Robmet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/genesis-2015-equilibrium-725-frameset-burnt- bronze

I like the colour, it would look good with pink shorts.
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. The search continues so please keep 'em coming. Currently interested in the Kinesis T2 with DC07 forks or Tifosi CK7.
Robmet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a bit of a left field option, have you thought about contacting one of the Chinese frame builders and giving them the exact spec you want?

Do a bit of contact with them first and you can normally figure out the good ones from the bad ones but they generally have a good rep for working in titanium, I had a set of carbon forks made for my MTB a few years back because i wanted an odd combination of dropout and length. Took about 4 weeks all in from order to box on my doorstep.

Having a frame made has always been on my to do list but not got round to it yet.

Browse on alibaba for suppliers:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/TC4-titanium-bicycle-frame-road -for_60372772967.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.RRqrwF
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robmet wrote:
As a bit of a left field option, have you thought about contacting one of the Chinese frame builders and giving them the exact spec you want?

Do a bit of contact with them first and you can normally figure out the good ones from the bad ones but they generally have a good rep for working in titanium, I had a set of carbon forks made for my MTB a few years back because i wanted an odd combination of dropout and length. Took about 4 weeks all in from order to box on my doorstep.

Having a frame made has always been on my to do list but not got round to it yet.

Browse on alibaba for suppliers:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/TC4-titanium-bicycle-frame-road -for_60372772967.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.RRqrwF

Thanks for the suggestion but I wouldn't buy directly from abroad as all Consumer Rights Act 2015 would be invalid .... but by coincidence, your idea may come to something! Smile

Had an interesting chat with the guys at Bike Swanky in Fairoaks yesterday. Apparently they know a frame builder who can make one up to exact specifications in steel in any single colour of choice for about £400. I left my card with them and hopefully he'll contact me soon. I'd obviously need to see some of his work before I proceed but it sounds pretty promising.

Steve Kish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decision has been made - I'm living on beans and toast for the next 5 years:-

http://www.enigmabikes.com/bikes/versatility/enigma-etape/

Everything swappable from my current winter bike but needed a 31.6mm seat pillar instead of my old standard 27.2mm.

I'll be setting this up as close as possible to my best summer Enigma Equinox but with full guards and slightly heavier tyres (Conti GP 4Seasons) to account for the British summer that now seems to start properly in the middle of July.

Robmet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 31.6 seatpost you could run a dropper, very forward thinking of you Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Road Bike Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: