March Forum Ride, 2009. Pictures and Report.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: March Forum Ride, 2009. Pictures and Report. Reply with quote

I could have alternatively titled this Topic, "One Of The Quickest 3 Hours Ever". Laughing Laughing

Myself, Grant, Mally, JohnC, Shaun and Richard all turned up for this ride, and what a difference in the weather.

It was actually warm, dry, and sunny with hardly any wind to speak of. Very Happy Very Happy

I was even riding in just a jersey with my windproof rolled up and tucked in my back pocket. What a difference to the last time I was up here at Gribdale when there was so much snow it was unrideable and I had to turn back.

GETTING READY AT GRIBDALE:

MALLYS COMMENCAL WAITS PATIENTLY:

MY SCOTT IS RARING TO GO:

Setting off just after nine, we headed up towards the Monument, I must have missed this climb while I was chatting to Richard, 'cos I didn't even notice it............ Confused Confused
Taking a left we headed through the wood over Coates Moor, and it was here that Shaun was brought down by an errant dog.......... Shocked Shocked

Luckily he was OK, but the dogs owner made a quick getaway into the woods. Then a fast tarmac descent into Kildale, it was a joy to be riding the MTB in just a jersey, followed by the long climb up Park Nab.

Richard was strong on this climb, as he was on most of the climbs throughout this ride actually, and was first up to the gate at the peak of the climb. Mally brought up the rear, suffering from his decision to wear a heavy waterproof jacket in the heat.

JOHN MAKES THE TOP:

GRANT COMES THROUGH:

SHAUN REACHES THE TOP:

AND A HOT MALLY NAILS IT:

TAKING A BREATHER, ENJOYING THE VIEW:

After taking in the scenery, we headed off along the Cleveland Way at a good pace, turning off across Battersby Moor for some nice moorland downhill singletrack, before descending Turkey Nab. This was, as always, a really nice flowing bit of downhill trail, and more unusual we had no "offs", as this bit always tends to claim some one, particulally at the top moor section.

Just got to say that the Scott is one quick bike when you decide to open up on it, it really takes off like a rocket.

We then headed through the bottom of Ingleby woods to the Incline.
God, it looked the steepest it's ever been, must have just been the angle of the sun.......... Razz Razz

Richard and John broke away and made a good climb to the gate, ignoring the hurls of abuse from some of the group behind, namely Mally who was desperate to catch them...... Laughing Laughing

Regrouping at the gate, it was challenge time to see who could actually get back on and away, as it's not easy to get started from here, it's so steep that your front wheel just keeps trying to lift off the floor.

I was first away, but missed the amusement going on behind me as the others struggled against gravity............ Laughing Laughing

Richard and I were going for the top but we both hit a small rocky outcrop, and it was small, just before the cutting and we were off. Looking back, everyone else was off and walking too.

LOOKING BACK DOWN THE INCLINE:

RICHARD AND JOHN CLIMBING THROUGH THE CUTTING:

As I stopped to take a few photo's, Richard re-mounted and made a push for the top, as John walked it. I walked through the cutting and re-mounted and rode to the top, annoyed that I hadn't got back on at the start of the cutting.

We re-grouped at the top of the Incline, with a very hot Mally bringing up the rear.

AT THE INCLINE TOP:

MALLY COMES THROUGH, HOT AND BOTHERED:

After a brief rest, due to someone forgetting the sandwiches. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

We headed off to Burton Howe and crossed over to Middle Head, this is another nice track where you can get up some good speed, then we hit the actual trail descending Middle Head to Baysdale. This is really fast, but also very, very rocky. I managed to get out in front with Richard close behind for most of the trail but was surprised when near the end he pushed past me for a very quick drop down to the gate. I think he also surprised himself the way his back end was skipping out on some of the rocks. Wink Wink

Mally came down very fast, but true to form on this ride so far, he had forgot to switch his forks back from lockout to suspension mode.....

Grant came in slightly slower after a near "off" higher up on the trail.

SHAUN BRINGS UP THE REAR ON MIDDLE HEAD DESCENT:

Entering the wood we descended to Baysdale Abbey, true to form, this section always catches you unawares as the track is unbelievaby "slippy". Fast grassy descent from the treeline to the Abbey, then it was time for more climbing. This is a steep tarmac climb through Baysdale Farm to the Cleveland Way, followed by a mad tarmac descent of Park Nab which we had climbed earlier, fantastic speed to be had on this section.

Riding through Kildale, the Tea Room seemed exceptionally busy with roadies, obviously taking advantage of the weather.

Time for another tough climb back up past Bankside Farm, Richard was again impressive on this ascent, and I decided to catch him on the last steep section, but had just left it too late and he reached the gate into the forest before me. Evil or Very Mad
John came through next, also climbing well, followed by Grant who was pleased he'd managed to stay on all the way up. Mally again brought up the rear, with his jacket now firmly pushed up under his top. Laughing Laughing

A quick blast along the firetrack and then a right turn to take us across some nice messy trails before coming out just above the car park, which was now unbeleivably busy.

All in all, we'd been out for 3 hours, but it felt a lot shorter, and I must admit to not really noticing some of the climbs the company was that good. Wink

Made a change to get back to the cars with the bikes relatively clean, and warm, and dry. Very Happy

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looked a great ride gunner....

and so did that climb...
Gouldy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you had a great mornings riding and got the weather we have all been waiting for Cool

At 0730 this morning me and Darren looked at each other and both new we were going to miss a great ride with the sun rising and said, next weekend when we are off it will be pissing down but you have to make the most of it , great pictures and wright up as norm Very Happy

johnc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent forum ride today, cheers to all that attended, the weather was great, i really enjoyed this route, as i did when we did it last year, think i'll do this one again in the next few weeks, i like them climbs Wink Laughing
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great ride today John. Wink

It wouldn't be a bad idea to give this a try the other way round one time, from where the pictures were taken at the gate at the top of Park Nab climb.

It would mean coming down the Incline and climbing Turkey Nab.

Don't know what anyone thinks, maybe could set up a date when Darren and Gouldy are free, I'm sure Grant would be able to get along.

Last edited by Gunner on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
HarryB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have enjoyed that walk up Ingleby Incline if you hadn't taken the bikes with you. Why did you do that? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
johnc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gunner wrote:

It wouldn't be a bad idea to give this a try the other way round one time, from where the pictures were taken at the gate at the top of Park Nab climb.

It would mean coming down the Incline and climbing Turkey Nab.

I'd give that ago, im sure keith & darren would be up for that, as long as there not working, this is there weekend on, they work every other weekend as does sue, maybe you can arrange around that Wink
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnc wrote:

I'd give that ago, im sure keith & darren would be up for that, as long as there not working, this is there weekend on, they work every other weekend as does sue, maybe you can arrange around that Wink

Leave it with me, I'll have a go, should be fun Wink

Mally

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome ride today guys thanks all. Got to have been the hardest and best yet.

Must admit I thought Gunner was joking when he pointed to the incline and said we were heading up it, never been up then just think ski sunday, and boy was it as hard as it looked.

I made it just short of 20 miles(anyone confirm this) and a top speed 39mph dead

Ps that scott is one light bike
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little clip from the camera........

Not the helmet cam, haven't had a chance to look at that yet Wink

paradox1509

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that hills steep!!! be nice to come down it tho Twisted Evil

Excellent ride report Gunner Very Happy
Upforit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all came together to make this a great ride - the contrast in weather from last time out; the new found leg power; a stunningly beautiful ride and excellent company.

Loved the write up Gunner.

I'm up for a repeat - forwards or backwards. Need to get up the Incline without walking sometime this year tho.

Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upforit wrote:
It all came together to make this a great ride - the contrast in weather from last time out; the new found leg power; a stunningly beautiful ride and excellent company.

You were going really well today, Richard. Not just on the Incline but on that last climb up Bankside Farm at the end of the ride. Well done.

Got to say, you were also pushing yourself on the downhill bits as well, I was gobsmacked when you passed me on Middle Head near the end.

Mind, you had played a cunning stunt by depriving us all of lunch.... Shocked Shocked

Abzz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics and report Gunner Cool
Upforit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:

Mind, you had played a cunning stunt by depriving us all of lunch.... Shocked Shocked

Damn, I've been found out Laughing

Fancy a fast ride soon? Maybe the repeat of today?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: