Maxxis tyres
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meridaman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Maxxis tyres Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
Just wondering if anyone can shed a bit of light on the following. I was about to order a Maxxis aggressor EXO TR tyre online when I noticed a warning at the bottom of the description. It said, and I quote

Note from the manufacturer: refrain from using ammonium based tyre sealant. After a few months, the ammonium weakens the tyre’s carcass by 30 %.

I already have a 29er with this tyre fitted and also we have 2 other bikes with Maxxis high roller II EXO TR tyres fitted, all tubeless with Stans sealant. Stans clearly contains ammonia, you can smell it, so my question is

Has anyone experienced any issues with Stans damaging their Maxxis tyres, and secondly, Stans is probably the most famous of all tyre sealants, why would maxxis produce tyres that are affected by this sealant?

The warning seems to apply to all EXO TR tyres, shouldn't maxxis have a warning on the sidewall if their tyres are not compatable with Stans or any other ammonium based sealant?

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
dave0w

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a true tubeless tyre docent need silent, you dont put it in your car tyres do you.

Maxxis make very good tyres and it may just be the rubbers used in that model of tyre dont play nice with ammonium based tyre sealant.

Maxxis are not making a tyres that dont work with Stans, all tubeless tyres are made to work without silent.

VooDoo HooDOo (Laid to rest after years of service)
Meridaman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your point completely, but I don't know anyone who rides without sealant in their tyres, purely for a bit of puncture protection.

My point is that, in our world, Stans has virtually conquered the market, it is the brand you see on the shelves of virtually all bike shops, and if Maxxis put out a warning to say that ammonium based sealants should not be used in their tyres, we should be told either on the packaging or on the tyre itself before fitting.

I agree that Maxxis make great tyres, thats why I use them, but they are a bit expensive to damage in this manner when done in good faith without any prior warning.
dave0w

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is simple to solve just buy a none ammonium based sealants. there is many brands and types of there.

i have never used stans, i do also use sealant with all my tubeless tyres but you just buy the one that works with your needs.

Maxxis are saying not to use ammonium based sealants, there not saying dont use stans. stans make more than one type of sealant.

VooDoo HooDOo (Laid to rest after years of service)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: