My Marin Attack Trail Full Sus
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaundice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: My Marin Attack Trail Full Sus Reply with quote

.pppp

Last edited by jaundice on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Will

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum - you little tease Wink
Get the pic of it now up.

Ether

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about dangling a carrot.... Twisted Evil
jaundice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see people are interested! I'm stuck up in Scotland until Thursday though so I can not post any recent pictures so you will have to make do with these :

You can see the old XTR rear mech that came with the bike in this picture:

I didn't have much money back then and I wanted a bit of red and black bling and managed to find this on eBay:

The worst designed seatpost in the world! It also marked the beginning of my red anodised hope parts fetish!

More to come later!
Euans2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice bike matey.... I used to have the Wolf Ridge version of this, still to this day I wish I kept it.
jaundice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euans2 wrote:
nice bike matey.... I used to have the Wolf Ridge version of this, still to this day I wish I kept it.

I will keep this until I can't fix it any more, the adjustable rear travel makes it so flexible, you can use it for pretty much anything! I am currently commuting on it with the forks wound right down and the rear shock on the shortest travel setting and its brilliant, but I have done some light downhill stuff with it in the past with the suspension dialled all the way out. I have yet to see a frame I would rather have.
jaundice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got really lucky with the next upgrade, a mate of mine sold me a Hope Mono M6 front brake, an M4 rear, and a newish at the time XTR rear mech for £100! Bargain! I treated them to a set of red brake levers and new red MC caps

Very Happy

You can see the new wheels in this picture too, they are Mavic 717 rims on Hope Pro 2's in red Very Happy

I then found out you could get all the brake cylinder caps in red...

jaundice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my bike back out of the shed today, its the first time in over a week, and it was freeeeeeeezing this morning. Anyway, I took some photo's as I realised I didn't have any recent ones at all.

Please excuse the dirt, I do use it nearly daily!!!

Back to the old seat post after the race face one snapped off at the top after months of creaking!

My wheels...

Custom brake mount after I stretched the original ali one so far the caliper wasn't sitting over the disc properly!!

Massive front brake!!! Proper overkill, but I got offered them so cheap I couldn't refuse!!!

Adjustable travel forks...

To go with the adjustable travel rear.

Middleburn cranks, chainrings have seen better days...

Rear Mech, also a bit worn...

And thats it, my one and only bike so I ride it if I go out riding, ride it to work, and I even sometimes walk the dog on it. I love it, I've had it for 6 or 7 years now, and I never think about replacing it, I never look at other bikes and think "I'd swap my Marin for that", I do see other parts and think "I wonder how that would work on the Marin" though. Laughing
jaundice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy look what i got today....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140939774289?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksi d=p3984.m1497.l2649

Dunno when I will get a chance to fit it though, once I do, the old one will be going on my new subway, as the X5 on that is backwards!
jaundice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a tough ride round Suckley with a mate yesterday, there was still a lot of snow on the hills, and it made for tough going, especially with all the mud just beneath it, so thought I would fit my new bling and give the bike a proper wash...

Cranks and cassette clean up quite nicely considering the age, the chain is starting to show wear though, and a little rust. I suppose thats what you get when you only use GT85 for chain lube Embarassed

New XTR reverse action rear mech, used Cube lock on grips, new Hope grip doctor bar end plus and the flat pedals off my other bike. I also bled the front brake through as its gone a bit spongy recently.

Next outing, probably get up the Malverns one lunchtime this week hopefully Very Happy
jaundice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my first trip to Cannock chase last week and loved it, much more technical than what I'm used to down at the Forest of Dean, but the bike (and me) coped quite well with it, my mate had a fairly bad crash on one of the black sections, but his bike survived and he soldiered on. I did however manage to finish my rear brake pads completely this time and to be honest I'm fed up of the squeal from sintered pads so I have ordered, received and fitted some genuine hope organic pads for the front and rear brakes, I also scored a "nearly new" 44 tooth top chainring off ebay so I fitted that this morning too which has really helped with the up-shift to the top ring.

All I need now are some decent flat pedals and a new seat, I have no idea about seats though so if any-one has any advice it will be gratefully received, I'm after something comfortable and waterproof, not wildly expensive and not too heavy!
jaundice

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my pedals took a knock while out riding locally one morning and stripped the threads out of the left crank arm, I might have been able to helicoil it, but I thought about it and decided that due to everything being so old (at least 7 years) and pretty much every component in the chainset being worn I would replace the whole lot......

After a bit of a scare from the mechanic at Worcester cycles pointed out the amount of damage where the cups face up against the frame.....

They managed to fit these for me....

The only noticeable difference over the Middleburn's is the way it shifts gear, its almost instant! I've probably shed a fair bit of weight too, the old BB was quite a chunk compared to the external bearing type on the new set, but the cranks themselves probably aren't much different in terms of stiffness or weight.

I also "noticed" Laughing that there is a 5 year warranty on Crank Brothers 50/50 pedals, and from reading reviews they seem to be good at replacing them on warranty so finally bought a decent set of pedals after always just buying cheap....

I tried SPD's a few years ago, they aren't for me, and as pedals are so exposed I always just bought cheap and disposed of them when they started breaking apart. The left pedal took 2 pretty big hits at the Wyre forest on Tuesday night and its absolutely fine, and the feeling of a nice big surface area with plenty of grip is fantastic so its looking like a fairly sensible decision.
Appalache real

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking sweet loving the crank bros pedals

Pain is just a weakness leaving the body.
jaundice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now with Charge spoon saddle:

Not ridden on it yet but a mate is coming round shortly with a new (to him) Tomac Snyper so might get out on it tonight Very Happy
jaundice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get out Thursday, but just been up the Malverns on the new saddle to try it out before FOD tomorrow, and despite thinking it was too hard when I first sat on it, its actually quite comfortable Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: