Need help with aerobic fitness and race pace
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giantAstax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Need help with aerobic fitness and race pace Reply with quote

I've been training pretty hard for the past 30 months, shed over 70 lbs in weight and this past 4 months have been training hard 6 to 8 hours per week in readiness for the race season. Initially I worked with a PT instructor at the gym who helped me lose the weight but I now know I have working way too hard and aerobically 90% of the time and my aerobic base is poor, despite my high level of anaerobic fitness. If I was a sprinter, I'd be OK but as an endurance athlete, I'm kind bugg@d.

So here's the rub....... even though my recovery is very fast and my RHR very low at 40 bpm, all my fitness is anaerobic and my HR rushes up to 80% MHR or higher very quickly as soon as I start to push on or climb.

I can average 90% MHR for 45 or 50 minutes in spin classes or when racing (see below) but consequently my race pace is slow as I am red-lining after just a few minutes when racing. Here is a screenshot from my CX race on sunday. Average pace, HR and speed, even cadence are pretty stable each lap during the 50 min race but as I said earlier, my pace is too slow.

I've switched all my training to MAF HR levels (which is 67% to 73% MHR) as I've been advised by one of the trainers at my local club I have a sever anaerobic/aerobic fitness imbalance and the only way to counter this is to basically slow down, keep my HR in the MAF zone and wait as my pave gradually increases over the next few months.

OK, but I have 11 more races before the end of the year and I'd really like NOT to be hanging around at the back of the field for the whole season.

Anyone else had similar issues? Has anyone found a way of 'boosting' aerobic fitness that works in the short term? I still have about 28 lbs to lose so maybe I should just switch to weigh-loss at the expense of fitness?

Any informed advice would be appreciated, next race is Saturday!

Screen Shot 2013-10-01 at 13.38.09.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.84 KB
 Viewed:  3184 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2013-10-01 at 13.38.09.JPG

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a) you may be getting some unsound and conflicting advice, and that b) you may not fully understand the physiological demands of the type of racing you are doing.

Sorry if that sounds "brusque" but trying to be as helpful as possible without having to spend hours typing.

You'd be better getting to a 'racing weight' and probably improving your techniques. mtb and especially cyclo cross is about racing 'on the red line' for as long as you can. races are less than an hour{if you're reasonable} and basically done as fast as possible.

Remember, "A rising tide lifts all boats". Wink

giantAstax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:
I think that a) you may be getting some unsound and conflicting advice, and that b) you may not fully understand the physiological demands of the type of racing you are doing.

Sorry if that sounds "brusque" but trying to be as helpful as possible without having to spend hours typing.

You'd be better getting to a 'racing weight' and probably improving your techniques. mtb and especially cyclo cross is about racing 'on the red line' for as long as you can. races are less than an hour{if you're reasonable} and basically done as fast as possible.

Remember, "A rising tide lifts all boats". Wink

Thanks gunner. I know I need to shift this last weight as I'm 3 to 4 stone heavier than the fastest guys (I was built for rugby not cycling) but.... surely you're not suggesting its a 50 min sprint? 50 mins is still endurance is it not? It just seems crazy that I'm read-lining for the whole race. No one else seemed to be other than the spint start and then at strategic points during the race. I'd have said my technique is pretty good already so what would make a difference?
Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
50 mins is still endurance is it not?

Most definitely not, I'm afraid.

giantAstax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:
Quote:
50 mins is still endurance is it not?

Most definitely not, I'm afraid.

Thanks again. Ah well, it was worth asking Very Happy
simonrobinson415

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried pushing as hard as you can til you psychically cant do any more as you feel sick?

if not get on stationary trainer and go it you can feel you stomach come up tht your true limit and base your efforts off tht you will be surprised how long you can cope for

i reckon you should be able to do 3hrs at 90%avg it would be very unpleasant but doable.

id say 95% avg is what id aim at if i was going balls out over 1hr again you will start to feel it towards the end but thts racing Smile

i got caught out on a really windy day here mine avg 87% for 3hrs and i properly could of gone bit harder if i had too.

http://www.strava.com/activities/84061210

if all you want to do is race for 50min all your training wants to be based on that so push hard and harder til you threshold increase over that time period dont slow down you dont need anything but 1hr time trail pace.

recovery is also vital maybe your expecting a bit much so soon 30months isnt all tht long to get too race fitness especally if you have been over weight for a long period of time. keep riding 1hr time trails full throttle and you will smash it in time mate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: