New bike for winter and a bit of everything
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jase

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: New bike for winter and a bit of everything Reply with quote

When the weather started to turn with the changing seasons, I began looking at getting another bike as my Hoy doesn't have any mudguard mounts and full guards are a must really for winter commuting - particularly as I suffer from numb feet despite wrapping up to the max.

I'd looked at a few options and initially decided something like a Triban 500 would do the business, but the missus wasn't very supportive (to put it mildly) as she "didn't see why I would need two road bikes". So I put my thinking cap on and, in the meantime, the cycle to work scheme at work re-opened which gave me a few more options and eased the finances.

After finding out that the bike shop my riding buddy works at were in the scheme and that they had a few ex-display bikes on clearance, things were looking good. I've settled on a bike which ticks plenty of boxes to make it different enough to get past the missus without causing (as many) marital issues as it'll do a bit of towpath/fire road riding and, with a change of tyres, probably a smidge of CX type riding.

I'll shortly be the owner of a Saracen Hack 2, as per the example picture below. I'll get some proper pictures of my actual bike once it's set up with longboards and probably a rack (carrying a backpack to work is getting a bit annoying).

It's an absolute bargain really and I couldn't say no - although I nearly bought a Genesis, but it was "just another road bike" as the missus puts it and it was more expensive.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks ruddy nice, can't wait to see pictures of the real thing. Wink
Jase

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I'll have to get out in some of the Yorkshire countryside to get some pics that are anywhere near as cool as the pics you post Gunner!
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With disc brakes and full mudguards that will be a very nice and practical winter bike.

BTW, ask your missus why she has more than one pair of shoes when she can only wear a pair at a time. Whatever her answer, that will probably be your answer to her question ... she walks, you pedal ... easy as that!

Cool

Jase

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After talking about mudguard eyelets and rim wear due to harsh winter conditions I think I managed to confuse the missus enough to gain her acceptance to me acquiring another bike. And I've now actually got the bike, I just need to "winter-proof" it.

In return, I have conceded to selling my MTB, but I've no issue with that as I've not ridden it this calendar year and I can "re-invest" the sale proceeds into other cycling-related things - she's more bothered about the space my bikes are taking up that anything else.

To be fair, the wife doesn't have a cupboard rammed full of shoes so that argument has limited merit!
Robmet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got it yet/ been on a ride?

Mine turns up on monday finally after waiting nearly 5 weeks for it (saracen hack), I plan on using it more for xc exploring and CX racing rather than commuting but it would be interesting to hear how it rides?

Does it feel heavy?
Jase

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the bike now, but haven't done much other than a spin around the block with a bit of cobbled road riding. It doesn't feel too heavy - it's not a heavyweight really, albeit not as light as my road bike. Think it's maybe 11kg, but can't remember for sure.

Tyre pressures need a bit of fine tuning, I think I'll start with 50psi and see where I go from there.

The only minor thing for me is a bit of pedal overlap, but that should all but go when I put my SPD's on (I was riding on flats at the time with long-toed trainers). I have been spoiled previously as my road bike has no overlap whatsoever. It won't be a problem for me at all. My frame is a 54cm by the way.
Robmet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah cool, my only slight worry was that it might be heavy. Mine is at the other end of the scale at 60cm frame so as you can guess im not really familiar with having toe overlap problems.

Its coming on monday apparently which is a shame it didnt get here for the weekend but the forecast looks terrible anyway.

50psi sound a bit low, are they the 35mm slicks?
Jase

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it depends on what your own perception of "a bit heavy" is!!! I've never ridden a proper lightweight bike, so it'll work ok for me. But I guess if you're coming from a full carbon 8kg bike it might feel a bit cumbersome.

I've gone down a frame size from normal as it felt (and after measuring up is) very close size-wise to my Hoy and a bigger frame would probably have been a bit too big for me at 5'10".

The Schwalbe Spicer tyres are a sort of cut slick, now you mention it 60psi might be a better starting point perhaps. I was going off "gravel bike" guides which were actually suggesting 40psi but that seemed like recipe for pinch flats to me.
Jase

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just noticed that I'll need to re-wrap my bars though as the tape goes too close to the stem so I've nowhere to attach my lights. Better it be too long than too short though!
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally a winter bike will be a bit heavier and of course, switching to a lighter summer bike with reduced clothing will feel great and allow bigger gears.

I wouldn't worry about toe overlap. I get it on my winter bike against the mudguards as do most of my lot.

Jase, unless you're about 7 stone or riding 32mm tyres, 50psi may be too low for road tyres. I drop my winter tyres (700c x 25mm) to 95psi front and 100psi rear, just 5psi less than my summer tyres, also 700c x 25mm. I'm 6ft and weight 13st 8lbs.

Kajjal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Kish wrote:
With disc brakes and full mudguards that will be a very nice and practical winter bike.

BTW, ask your missus why she has more than one pair of shoes when she can only wear a pair at a time. Whatever her answer, that will probably be your answer to her question ... she walks, you pedal ... easy as that!

Cool

How have you lived this long asking the wife questions like that Smile
Kajjal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jase wrote:
I suppose it depends on what your own perception of "a bit heavy" is!!! I've never ridden a proper lightweight bike, so it'll work ok for me. But I guess if you're coming from a full carbon 8kg bike it might feel a bit cumbersome.

I've gone down a frame size from normal as it felt (and after measuring up is) very close size-wise to my Hoy and a bigger frame would probably have been a bit too big for me at 5'10".

The Schwalbe Spicer tyres are a sort of cut slick, now you mention it 60psi might be a better starting point perhaps. I was going off "gravel bike" guides which were actually suggesting 40psi but that seemed like recipe for pinch flats to me.

I have a Diverge and it has been off road numerous times. I run the tyres quite hard so there is very little give in them and the handling is fine until the trails get rough. On road it is very smooth and flies along.

Just do what feels best for you.
Jase

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm 13st 9lb at the moment and the tyres are 35s, so I'll give some thought to tyre pressures and do a bit of research.

Off to the bike shop tomorrow to sort the paperwork and will pick their brains a bit.
Jase

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKS Chromoplastics fitted today and a bike rack is on order to get the hack fully set up for the commute. I'm moving away from a backpack to panniers/a rack pack for commuting. I need to carry a few bits to and from work and while the trusty rucksack has been ok, it's not done my back many favours.

I was going to put a few miles on the new machine tomorrow to break it in and get the disc brakes bedded in so I know they are reliable while commuting next week when various visually impaired drivers pull out on me, but the forecast looks absolutely dreadful. 20-25mph winds and lashing it down, even with full guards, doesn't sound like sensible riding weather.

The glass slipper didn't come with it, we already had that. And, yes, that is a top tube bag - I put my headlight battery in it Razz

[/URL]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides (Road) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: