New bike for work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaundice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: New bike for work Reply with quote

After reading a few threads on here I thought I would try and build myself a bike for under £100, but then while looking for parts on ebay, I came across this:

Its nothing special, its a Carrerra Subway, with awful Sram X5 rear mech:

X4 shifters:

with a 3 speed shifter on the left for a very cheap looking shimano front mech and 2 chainrings?!?!?

On the plus side, the Tektro V brakes aren't too bad

It has a suspension seatpost :

A weird adjustable stem, that I had to adjust a bit (I'm 6'4" and its an 18" frame)

And judging by the condition of the brake blocks and swing arm (Is it called a swing arm on a hard tail?), it looks like its hardly ever been ridden:

Dunno how much it would have cost when new, they are £280 at Halfords right now, but with a slightly different spec, but I paid a measly £100 for it!

Desmond dog seemed un-impressed by it though:

So far all I have done is set the gears up properly, replace all the cap head mild steel bolts in the frame for A2 stainless button heads, replaced the front plastic nutted skewer for the ovation one that came off my Marin (dunno where I put the rear one Evil or Very Mad), lube the chain, fit my road lights, and just set it up for me (adjust stem, seat post brake levers etc.) I have to say, after riding my plush Marin for so many years, going back to fully rigid is horrid, it really is going to take some getting used to!

Plans for the future are still uncertain, I was thinking of going single speed, but I ordered a new rear mech for the Marin today so the subway will get the reverse action XTR it replaces, and I will need a better shifter than the one thats on there. I will be getting rid of the front gears though, I have always been very hard on bottom brackets, so when that dies the whole bottom end will get replaced for something stronger and lighter. I would like a front disc brake, but I would have to buy a new wheel, and I really don't want to start pouring money into this bike. Other than that, I will probably gay it up with a set of paniers and just ride it Very Happy

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
naffa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with a Subway
I had one a few months ago on the c2w scheme and for going to work I cant fault it Smile

Tinca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has one of them, but she has a classy basket on the front Very Happy
TeaTwoSugars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap pannier rack on fleabay.

£10 delivered.

Got one myself a couple of weeks ago & can't fault it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Alloy-pannier-rack-700-26-Black-rear-/19 0817006337?pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item2c6d 947301

Wouldn't have been disappointed if it had cost £20-25.
jaundice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeaTwoSugars wrote:
Cheap pannier rack on fleabay.

£10 delivered.

Got one myself a couple of weeks ago & can't fault it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Alloy-pannier-rack-700-26-Black-rear-/19 0817006337?pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item2c6d 947301

Wouldn't have been disappointed if it had cost £20-25.

Thanks, but looks like they've all gone now Crying or Very sad
TeaTwoSugars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Alloy-pannier-rack-700-26-Black-rear-/20 0910127599?pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item2ec7 2d41ef

Last one.

Get buying quick..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: