New Wheels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: New Wheels Reply with quote

I journeyed down to the 'Planet X' showroom, at Worsbrough yesterday

I actually wanted new bib-tights & a jacket, so decided to have a look (first time I've been!)

I know it's not that far away, especially when travelling via the eastern side of Barnsley, via Monk Bretton, rather than to the west along the M1 (to junction 37, or 36)........ t'was less than 16 mile door - to - door!

On entering the place - not sure what it was originally built as? - the clothing side is seen first

Some on rack, some on tables

The bikes are all in the rear-half of the premises

There's a heck of a deal on Nano-Lite bikes at the moment!!!

One track-bike that took my attention was finished in matt-green (khaki?), with a Sharks Mouth decal on the head-tube, & red/white/blue stripes along top-tube!!!

Plus, a very nice 'Lion Of Flanders' (colours) influenced CX bike;
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLSCX1/planet-x-xls-sram-cx1-cyclocro ss-bike

I managed to get a jacket, but, sizing seems very odd, as I had to get a 'Large' to fit - giving room for a jersey underneath!!!!
I think it's the first thing I've ever bought as a 'L'

(& new 'skull-cap')

I was, however, tempted by their shiney display of wheels............

First thought was a pair of nice carbon rimmed blingery for the Ridley, but, as I doubt I'll be riding that till Easter????. I bought new wheels for the http://www.mtbe.co.uk/new-ribble-t38240.html

These; http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPFST30LM/fsa-team-30-limited-edition-whe elset

They look good, with the bladed spokes, & on the strength of todays ride, they roll very well indeed!!!! (& lighter)

The wheels they replaced on the Ribble were both slightly out of true, with a couple of pot-hole dings, plus the freehub slipped at points

That said;
The cost of having both trued (if you can with that silly spoke pattern?), a new free-hub adds up

2. My brother-in-law wants a pair of winter-wheels for his Ritte, so if I sell them to him (& let him sort the problems out??)

3. If he does buy them, for £50(??), the new wheels will have cost me £50-£70 - dependant on trueing/freehub costs

Or is that being mercenary of me??
Then again, if he can afford a Ritte, with Dura-Ace..........................

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wheels Reply with quote

Richard A Thackeray wrote:
(& new 'skull-cap')

My daughter reckons it just explains where I come from.....................

The goatee will be 9 weeks (totally untrimmed) growth on Tuesday 16th

Steve Kish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaeeee! That chin-warmer is scare-eee!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Wink Very Happy

Richard, I'd lurve to have a few PX wheels but unfortunately they all seem to be Shimano/SRAM fitting rather than Campag/Mickey so unless they change their stocking policy, this will never be. Sad

You're right about their sizing as well. I've found that their XL bib tights, gloves and sleeveless gilets are pretty undersized. On tights I can get by with Santini / Lusso in L but PX's XL are a fair bit too tight for me. I suspect that my 'default' size with them is between XXL and XXXL and so, in theory, at 13st 7lbs and 6ft, they class me as a light 18 stoner. Rolling Eyes

Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Kish wrote:
Aaaeeee! That chin-warmer is scare-eee!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Wink Very Happy

It's starting to itch a bit, so might give it a trim today??

Steve Kish wrote:
Richard, I'd lurve to have a few PX wheels but unfortunately they all seem to be Shimano/SRAM fitting rather than Campag/Mickey so unless they change their stocking policy, this will never be. Sad

True, it seems to be all Shimano/SRAM there

I neglected to mention in the opening post, that the price shown on the website link, for the wheels is more than I paid

I paid £149.99 Very Happy
(not a mistake, the signs on the 'wheel wall' had that price on!!)

Steve Kish wrote:
You're right about their sizing as well. I've found that their XL bib tights, gloves and sleeveless gilets are pretty undersized. On tights I can get by with Santini / Lusso in L but PX's XL are a fair bit too tight for me. I suspect that my 'default' size with them is between XXL and XXXL and so, in theory, at 13st 7lbs and 6ft, they class me as a light 18 stoner. Rolling Eyes

True, I generally have 'S', or sometimes 'M'

Most of my running shirts/tights are all 'S'

Last edited by Richard A Thackeray on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides (Road) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: