Newbie - Fork advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Newbie - Fork advice Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm quite new to the mountain biking scene and have only recently taken a major interest in the sport/hobby. I own a Mongoose Rockadile ALX, yeah I know, quite a low spec bike compared to some that you lot own!
However, I didn't buy the bike for mountain biking, it was just something cheap I found that seemed decent enough for getting me from A to B with a little off road excursions along the way. Last weekend I went to Afan Forest Park just to have a nose around, following the Penhydd trail, (not sure if any of you are familiar with the area) and really enjoyed the experience!
Anyway, I noticed that my front suspension whilst fine on surfaces I had been riding previously, seemed really rough along these single track routes. I was thinking of upgrading the forks to something like rockshox dart2/3's (currently SR suntours m2025) as I don't really want to go through selling the bike as its quite new plus I'm a student on a limited budget so would struggle to pay for a better end bike!

I'm aiming to spend around the 100-120 max mark. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks for reading!

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
MartinK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turner...

it depends what forks you have? If you have coil/oil forks, you may find that a good service will get them working at their best again for a few . However if you have "elastomer" forks, dump them and buy some ~100 forks in the sale and you'll transform the front end... If you swap the forks, you'll probably find the headset's past it's best as well, so add 20 budget for a new cartridge headset...

Don't be tempted to buy longer travel tho...you'll upset the geometry and slow-down the steering...

turner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spring coils and they're not adjustable in any way either. I don't think they really need a service, they haven't accumulated a significant mileage yet.
I just want some forks which are a bit more responsive for some rugged xc terrain, I'm not goin to be doing any big drops or jumps with them.

Currently the travel is limited to 63mm, I was thinking of going up to an 80mm set. Is an extra 17mm going to have a major impact on geometry and steering response?

The headset is 1 1/8", is there a particualr make you would suggest as an upgrade?
MartinK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your frame can take 100mm forks, then these would be a great buy:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30247

I have a pair of Manitou SX 80mm forks whick I'm giving away (see for sale section). May not be an improvement tho...

I just bought a pair of these:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=21562

A bit over budget, but I am really pleased with them...

turner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually been looking at both of those forks myself! Trouble is I don't actually know what size forks the bike can take, it doesn't say in the manual and I can't seem to find out online.

Is there a way to determine this from dimensions of the bike perhaps? I will also try and find out from the manufacturer.

I did read your for sale post and saw the forks but I'm quite a distance from you and would rather a spanking new set.

A stupid question perhaps, but a friend had me thinking, do the forks mentioned here, or indeed any forks, have the same width between the dropouts to fit the axle of a "standard" 26" wheel?
MartinK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turner

Front wheel "skewers" for quick-release hubs are a standard length, so the forks are a standard "width".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: