Noob bike build
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brooksey

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Noob bike build Reply with quote

Well time has come to build my first bike mainly because I can't spend 2k on something just to ride to work. So that made me think of building a bike as I can get some bargain parts and it will be an experience . Well I first fought I need a frame so one night quite late after a few to many pints at the local I decided to bid on a Gary fisher frame. If I remember rightly I got it for about £40 posted I wasn't expecting must but when it arrived I was shocked at how well it looked. I've just bought some rockshox forks which should arrive next week I've managed to get some wheels and disc brakes free all I'm missing now is a chain set I've measured the bottom bracket and I got 73mm width and 113mm for the shaft. I wasn't sure if I was to measure the width from end to end or measure from end to end on the threaded part ? If anyone could explain that would be great 😀

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
stu8975

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB width consists of bb shell width (73mm) in your case and axle length, you can't determine what axle length you need until you know what chainset you are going to be running as they differ between chainsets to give whatever chainline is needed (personally wouldn't bother with the old bb/axle style...only used on cheap bikes nowadays).

If it a one where the threads come out the end and requires a nut (not a bolt), then measure from tapered end to tapered end, ignore the threads.

Depending on what you want to spend, go for a 2 piece chainset....eg..as a minimum.

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deore-m615-double-chainset-63270.h tml

Depending on you gearing you are running i wouldn't bother with a triple chainset either, but thats up to you.
Brooksey

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Build Reply with quote

Well I've been looking at some rockshox sektor forks 140mm what's your thoughts on them ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: