Plus size road bikes
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robmet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Plus size road bikes Reply with quote

Its fun having 2 road bikes, i've got my supersix which is traditional race bike fare. Yep its great but pretty focused.

My other bike is the Saracen Hack I bought 18months or so ago, for general riding its been my go to bike covering big road rides, racing CX, exploring off road and even the odd play at a trail centre. Its been steadily evolving along the way and with the disc brakes and big clearances it lets you experiment.

At the moment its running mtb 29'er wheelset with tubeless cross tyres, I also run it with an 11-36 cassette and a 42T narrow wide ring. So straight away its on a different path to the Supersix, and no worse for it.

Recently I noticed a very slight trend for putting smaller wheels and bigger tyres on this type of bike, the claims are minimal increase in drag and a much more robust setup if you venture off road. The cannondale Slate does this, I predict more will follow this year.

So i'm going to have a go, a cheapish set of 650b wheels on order from CRC and a pair of WTB Horizon tyres are waiting for me at Westbrook, lets see how it all comes together later in the week.

All it needs then is a dropper post Laughing

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

I've just been having a look at the Cannondale Slate on the back of this and what a very interesting bike it seems to be, and surprise, surprise, "dropper seat post compatible for future improvements" it says..................

I must stay away from Westbrooks for a while otherwise I fear the inevitable may happen........................ Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Attila

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is this time last year people were taking the piss out of the slate, it seems now the idea is taking root and people are really getting behind this sort of bike.

Fox are testing a prototype 'gravel bike' fork too.

I really like the idea of a bike that will do miles on or off road in comfort, something that has clearance for bigger tyres, disk brakes, mudguard mounts etc. There are miles and miles of gravel trails in the FoD, it would be the perfect bike for big training rides.

'15 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp 29er
'14 Claud Butler Torino SR4
'14 Whyte 629
Robmet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny how its always been a way of riding i've been drawn too but until very recently struggled to get many people to come out on this type of ride. Typically my MTB mates consider then too long and too boring and the roadie lads are not interested in venturing away from the roads.

Luckily I live within striking distance of the Yorkshire dales and there are miles of well surfaced gravel roads so I'm sure its something im going to keep doing.

Its nice to see some events begining to appear too, the moors and shores event looks a good route 50:50 on/off road at the start of April, i've already got my entry in.

https://www.strava.com/activities/888791789

Typical gravely ride, there was more to come on that ride but the guy i was with had a bit of a bonk so after pumping him with sugar we limped it home Laughing
Robmet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westbrook had the WTB Horizon tyres in stock so I swung by and picked up a pair today.
I can see an evening in the garage with a few cans tinkering with new bits on the cards for tonight.
Laughing
crom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it just mountain biking with drop bars. For people that can't leave the spandex on the road. Laughing
Robmet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.strava.com/activities/904943614

Picture on that strava ride ^

I think its a winner Very Happy
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Horizon's don't look like they could hold sh*t.
There has got to be grippier gravel tyres out there surely ?

Robmet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarnaptiousB'Stard wrote:
The Horizon's don't look like they could hold sh*t.
There has got to be grippier gravel tyres out there surely ?

You dont need knobbles to grip fireroad type trails, i think compound and casing are more important. Tread just adds rolling resistance.

On that first venture off road I even took it up the first part of the black route climb which was wet, rooty and muddy in places. Got up it fine. The rest of that ride was on access roads where it was ideal.

On the road I would say its 95% as quick as my racebike, off road the added float of the bigger tyres makes it much more stable and confident on the tracks.

It's not a mountainbike so the capability in true off road is irrelevant.

https://www.strava.com/activities/904943614/segments/22064123035

I know its another strava link, but that section is fast with some reasonably tight corners on gravel roads, this was my first time on they tyres and I posted a 2nd fastest time out of 1200+people. Thats good enough for me. Laughing
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crom wrote:
Isn't it just mountain biking with drop bars. For people that can't leave the spandex on the road. Laughing

Nah,it's for Roadies who realise they have made the wrong decision.
@Robmet.
Not so much knobblies,more of a "pattern " if you like however flat.
Something that could offer resistance in the corners if it does become more dicey.

Robmet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing of beauty:

Its the future.

Wink
Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Wink
Jase

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good man! Good thinking with the 650b wheelset, might keep that under consideration for my Hack!

Given some of the times you're smashing on that bike, it seems to suggest that the real hype might well have been about everyone needing a mountain bike with suspension...

For riding a bit of road mixed in with the option of gravel track/fire road and bridal path, it looks bang right IMO.
Robmet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jase wrote:
Looks good man! Good thinking with the 650b wheelset, might keep that under consideration for my Hack!

Given some of the times you're smashing on that bike, it seems to suggest that the real hype might well have been about everyone needing a mountain bike with suspension...

For riding a bit of road mixed in with the option of gravel track/fire road and bridal path, it looks bang right IMO.

Couldn't agree more mate, for the last 18months my mtb has been fully rigid and its only been a handfull of times in that period where I longed for suspension. I have a theory on it, bikes in every sector are changing and usually towards the more extreme, people get suckered into thinking they 'need' 120, 140, 160... travel bikes to ride the same trails i'm happy riding on a rigid. Even the new breed of XC full suspension bikes is moving to slack head angles and 120mm travel, its not going to be for everyone and its left a void at the light, quick handling end of the scale where the old school XC riders used to lurk. The same is happening to cross bikes, wider tyres, slacker geo and my theory is that bikes that are now being called 'gravel' bikes are filling the gap left when the old style xc bikes moved upwards to bigger things.
In reality if i put a set of narrow flat bars on that saracen what you have is a fair representation of a mid 90's XC bike.
Where it wins out is all the modern stuff chucked at it, 1x10, tubeless, big tyres, discs etc

dont get me wrong I love road riding but i'v not been doing it long enough to feel constrained by any of their closely held traditional values, I come from an mtb background where innovation or at least the willingness to experiment is more widely accepted.

(those wheels are only £94 a pair on crc at the moment Wink )
martini henrie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just ordered a Slate, should arrive 17th Nov, as an upgrade to my old Giant cx bike. I'm looking forward to getting it out, but have found that my assumption that 650b mtb tyres will just fit in with ease has proven wrong when actually researching into it.

I was running rocket rons on the Giant and wondered if anyone on 'road plus' tyres had any advances on Surly Knards or WTB resolutes to use on lighter singletracks.

I'm looking forward to the 1x drivetrain and the hydraulic brakes on the new bike, and to be honest only bought it because it was much reduced and I had access to a cycle scheme Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Road Bike Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: