Can front suspension with wrong frame cause problems?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Can front suspension with wrong frame cause problems? Reply with quote

I recently got a marzocchi 888vf off ebay for 200, the idea being to put it on my rockhopper. Before that happens, I need to get a bolt-through wheel, so the switch isn't going to happen for a while.

Just want to check that this isn't a retarded idea. I spoke to a mate, who said the wrong suspension for a particular frame can be a very bad idea. I will, eventually, move to a full suspension bike, probably mostly made from parts off ebay, to cut down on cost, so if I don't fit the suspension on my current bike, it wasn't a waste of money.

What do people think?

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
bry5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep your mate is right in a round about way, frames are designed around a certain set of forks.

The rockhopper from memory is designed around forks with 100mm of travel, the marzocchi 888vf (after a quick google) have 170mm ???.

The rockhopper is not designed for forks with anyway near that amount of travel. I am not sure what sorts of problems you might encounter from a safety point of view, but it the ride will likely be pants in my opinion. It will be like riding up hill, permanently Smile

Are you planning plenty of jumps with a fork like that ?

Butters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the 888's have 170mm of travel.

The idea was to improve the bike, as I have recently picked up downhill, and the front suspension I currently have isn't great. I'm not jumping yet, but I'm sure I'll get dragged into it one day.

I may as well ask, what frame(s) would go well with the suspension? May as well get some good suggestions for the full-suspension bike i'll want.
bry5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't offer much help on downhill/freeride frames, but most of the larger manufacturers will do freeride bikes.

Take a look at the webpages for Marin, Trek, GT, Kona, Giant, Specialized and see what bikes they do with 160-200mm of travel. Then have a look on ebay to see if any matching frames for sale.

I am sure there are usually a few kona frames kicking around on ebay so that might be your best bet if your on a budget.

Butters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll probably make a separate thread for the frame question.
bry5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KONA-STAB-DELUXE-DH-DOWNHILL-FRAME-stinky-specia lized_W0QQitemZ120339999815QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling _bikeparts_SR?hash=item120339999815&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72% 3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Something like this might suffice, but don't quote me on it, by all means try a post in the main forum, there are some guys on here who ride similar bikes so I am sure somebody can help.

Butters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you say, that might just do, but I'd rather ask around, and make sure to get the best frame. Don't want it breaking.
K88MUD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting aside the extra frame angles you also need to look closely at the frame strenght as they too are only designed to take so much travel and could also end up cracking it.
Crispy5449

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think there are many HT frames that can take a 170mm fork. Even frames designed for that sort of thing (Dialled Bike Alpine, Cotic Bfe etc) are only certified up to 160mm. It messes up the geometry and there would be a good chance of snapping off the headset if you hit anything big / at a funny angle. As said above, best bet is to look at some FS options that will take that sort of fork and then trawl ebay for a 2nd hand one.

Alternatively, if you are planning on it being your only bike, why not sell your rockhopper & the forks on ebay and buy a cheap, ready built up 2nd hand DH bike. You can usually pick something thats seen lots of use but still serviceable for 600 ish (pinkbike, descent world or southern downhill may be a better place to look than ebay) and then upgrade at your leisure.
Butters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually looking for a FS frame, and have made a separate thread for this. So, once I've got a FS bike built, I'll be selling the rockhopper.
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh i'd imagine the headset would be under some pressure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: