Seating Tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Seating Tyres Reply with quote

I had a puncture on my Trek Fuel EX last week and did a quick change on the trial, however when i got the bike home and cleaned it etc i noticed that the tyre that had the punture appered to not be running true.

I spoke to my LBS who said that apparently you have to put hot soapy water on the rim/tyre, inflate till it makes a popping noise, then inflate all the way. If that doesn't work keep trying until it does Confused

I am using the standard wheels/tyres which are:

Bontrager Rhythm wheel system, 28mm, tubeless ready

with

Bontrager Jones XR w/Kevlar bead, 26x2.2/2.25"; 127 tpi

any tips would be great.

Thanks Very Happy

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spooky!! - I mentioned this a very short while ago. Razz
http://www.mtbe.co.uk/has-anyone-ever-used-t1875.html
sonic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought someone had but couldn't remeber what the thread title was Embarassed
bry5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonic,

I have the same problem with the Fuel Ex 8 and the Rythem wheels, its a royal pain in the a**e, turns a 3 min tube change into a 20 min wrestle.

I keep meaning to mail Bonti to complain about the wheels, its the same with any tyre I have tried.

The best solution I have found once you have the rubber on the inside of the rims, is to inflate the wheel just enough so that you can, without any force, push the rubber away from the rim. Soak a cloth/sponge in soapy water, run it quickly around the inside of the rim/outside of the rubber on both sides, then inflate as quickly as you can using a track pump. Any other pocket pump just isn't quick enough.

I am going to rue the day I get a puncture out and about with only my pocket pump.

I read somethign somewhere that bonti tubeless rims are a tad smaller than they have made before which seems to be causing the problem.

In fact, gonna mail them now while I am thinking about it.

Bry

Steve Kish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am going to rue the day I get a puncture out and about with only my pocket pump

CO2 pump with 16g cartridge is the answer - inflates my 2.1 tyre in about 2 seconds:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Truflo-Micro-CO2-Bike-Pump-Inc-2-16g-Cartridges- C02_W0QQitemZ110320804505QQihZ001QQcategoryZ22691QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/co2-Threaded-16gm-cartridges-x-10-c02_W0QQitemZ1 50278104331QQihZ005QQcategoryZ109122QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewI temQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Stuff hand-pumping up a tyre in the cold, wet and dark roads around. Confused
sonic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bry5"]Sonic,

turns a 3 min tube change into a 20 min wrestle.

You have got that bit right bry. Cheers for the advice, i have spent he last 30-45mins cursing. Think the next time I go out and it's wet i will look like a bubble machine Laughing, but on the upside it has seated better, not 100% but a lot better than it was.
bry5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonti response to my email.

'Thanks for writing. I haven't had any real issues with these yet. I have the same wheels and my tires go on pretty cleanly. I sometimes will use a touch of water from my bottle or Camelbak along the bead when doing a tire change on the trail. I'll then inflate to just 10psi or so and go around the tire and use my hands to lift the bead in places where it is sitting too low. Then air up to riding pressure. If there is a spot that won't pop out sometimes I'll take it up to 65psi or so and it comes out then just fine. If you consistently have trouble I would suggest taking those into your dealer so they can take a look at the rims and tires and see if there is any issue'

sonic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e-mailed bonti almost 2 weeks ago and still waiting for my reply Sad !! gave up in the end and took it to my LBS who are having no end of complaints about these. Apparently the way they do it is to use a drop of soapy water, place into the rim as best as possible then over inflate till it pops into place then bring it back down to running pressure.

May have to try that next time Confused
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the soapy water technique but after inflation, there seems to be a load of bubbles coming out of the valve hole! Confused
sonic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I had something similar, all i needed was a clown costume and the image would have been complete!!
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this Tioga wax isn't available in the UK, I wonder if somethink like wax from a surf shop may work ..... or even just a standard candle. Question Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: