Boardman Team FS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Boardman Team FS or Giant Trance x4
Cheap, high spec but unknown Boardman
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
Expensive, lower spec but great reputation Giant x4
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

ed1986

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Boardman Team FS Reply with quote

Hi,
I am looking at getting a Boardman Team FS from Halfords but was wondering what the frames are like as the value for money seems to good to be true.
My other options are a Giant Trance x4 or Trek Fuel ex5 but these are a lot more expensive and with a lower spec.

My question is, is there anything wrong with the Boardman full suspension bikes and if not then why doesn't everyone have one?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_1000 1_catalogId_10151_productId_777809_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

Thanks,
Ed[/b]

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
steamydaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate had two within a month. The cables were cutting through the bottom of the frame. He's since had a higher specced voodoo off Halfords in exchange and find the simano gears better than the sram.
lachojski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about this pal?
http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2555
mortonminiman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowt wrong with boardman. Lot of people do have them because they are good bikes. The only downside is dealing with halfords which has a shoddy reputation
chrism110

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got a pro ht maybe i've been lucky but i've had no problems at all its a excellent bike the only things i've changed are pedals an got a quick release seat clamp
Wids

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heard nothing but good things about both bikes, but the Giant did win bike of the year last year
hoysy7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a hardtail and a fully sus boardman,love them both no probs at all ,think its a stigma thing people think there uncool as for halfords there all not bad there are some good ones
Uphillstruggle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont really have to search the internet and the mtb magazines very hard to see that boardman are pretty well thought of. Obviously youd want to ride both to get a feel.
Nothing wrong with going with tried and tested manufacturers but, on the flip side, brand snobbery can leave a man very light in the pocket!
ed1986

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses so far and it sounds as though there isn't much wrong with the boardman apart from the name but if it means an an extra 1K in my pocket.......
I have looked at the canyons but am put off as I would like to try the bike first and so thought the boardman is the British equivalent, i.e. a cheap not popular brand with good kit on.

The boardman still seems a bit too good to be true but will definitely go and try one.
ed1986

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steamydaz wrote:
My mate had two within a month. The cables were cutting through the bottom of the frame. He's since had a higher specced voodoo off Halfords in exchange and find the simano gears better than the sram.

So he didn't get on well with the boardman then?
ed1986

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any boardman owners out there?
It seems as though the reviews are good but would be nice to hear that from an owner who has ridden the bike for a year and not just a day.
Thanks
Rasmanisar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have no worry's riding a Canyon dude, plenty of people on here have them and think they're absolutely dialed. Anyway Canyon has a 1 month policy where you can return the bike no questions asked.
noodles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed1986 wrote:
Are there any boardman owners out there?
It seems as though the reviews are good but would be nice to hear that from an owner who has ridden the bike for a year and not just a day.
Thanks

I sold my Team FS in Dec last year, twas my second and I had it for around 9 mths. Only sold it because I had loved the look of the Jekyll 4 when they first came out but they were too expensive .... then they came right down and I got one.

Anyway .. the Boardman! A great XC bike, I changed stuff but only because I love tinkering but in truth the bike is well spec'd from the off. The frame is lovely to look at and nice and light, the 2 x 10 is great and the brakes are ok ... not great but ok.
I had this bike on some tough days out, some full on tests i.e. blats down Jacobs, Helvellyn, Cannock, Landegla and the Mary Townley Loop to name just a few.
If you like XC mostly, like a fast bike to do it on but like to point it down the decents as well then the Boardman for 999 is a steal! Very Happy

steamydaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he didn't get on well with the boardman then?[/quote]

No Ed. But then again his luck is that bad he could have sex with a virgin and catch AIDS. Very Happy
I couldn't fault Halfords Cannock though. They swapped it twice with no queries. The bike mechanics get a rough grilling overall, but we came across a guy at the Cannock store who was a rider himself and loved his work. He took pride in helping us, something very rare these days.

I know in MTB UK and MBR magazines this month Giant are looking for riders who are looking at buying to test their new bikes FOC. www.test-ride.co.uk

Best of luck with your choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: