The El Guapo Build Thread *Now with Pictures*...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archaic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: The El Guapo Build Thread *Now with Pictures*... Reply with quote

So following on from this monster thread and the fact I am now back at my place with my PC instead of just my ipad i decided to follow up on a promise of a build thread......
The FINAL Spec

FRAME - Titus El Guapo
REAR SHOCK – Cane Creek Double barrel Air Shock
FORK -Marzocchi 55 Switch TI
STEM - nuke proof warhead
HEADSET - Cane creek
HANDLEBAR -nukeproof warhead 769mm riser
GRIPS –ODI Ruffian
SEATPOST - rockshox reverb 2012
SADDLE - Fizik Saddles Gobi XM Muzzle Saddle 2012 Black - Manganese Rails
BRAKES – Hope Brakes Disc Tech M4 Evo 203mm front 160mm rear
WHEELS - hope hoops pro3on Stans Flow Rims
TYRES – Mountain King II UST Tubeless Tyre 2.4 front, 2.2 rear
CRANKSET – Raceface Respond AM
PEDALS – DMR V8's
CHAIN - SRAM pc 1051 10 speed
CHAIN GUIDE -
FRONT DERAILLEUR - SRAM X0 2x10
REAR DERAILLEUR - SRAM X9 10 speed
GEARS - SRAM XO Red/black
CASSETTE - SRAM pg1070 10 speed

All in its come to £3035.83 but I've upgraded wheels and brakes which explains the £500 over budget
The parts started to arrive on the Wednesday (18th) all the way up to the frame arriving on the following Monday in a variety of shiny boxes

CRCs offerings
_MG_0014 by Andy M74, on Flickr

Out of the box

IMG_0020 by Andy M74, on Flickr

Wiggle for the Wheels

IMG_0023 by Andy M74, on Flickr

Out of the Box

IMG_0024 by Andy M74, on Flickr

Evans for Headset

On-One/Planet X for the frame

_MG_0040 by Andy M74, on Flickr

_MG_0042 by Andy M74, on Flickr

_MG_0043 by Andy M74, on Flickr

So how do you go about turning all them bits into a shiny bike ready to ride??? Well the half the purpose of my going self build was to learn how to build and maintain my own bike so off to youtube to 'learn' for so called experts, some of which were actually experts and some folks arent....

First thing i wanted to do was get the wheels looking like wheels with tyres and everything and seeing as I hadnt done tubeless before I was keen to get the tyres on.

Boy them Mountain Kings are tight on the Flow rims... uber tight in fact but after 20minutes of swearing and levering with some tyre levers they popped on, add sealant (insurance) and start to inflate.. the noise they make as they bead up is definately noticable. Both tyres inflated easily to 35psi, though the front is annoying the foooo out of me as it was temperamental up until the whole bike was built and road tested. It would hold pressure for an hour, reinflate and it would be flat in 5 mins, reinflate and it would hold for a few days, reinflate flat in an hour, so far though it's been up and stable at 35. Guess the valve has seated itself finally, or the sealant has gummed it up good and proper.

Once the frame arrived on the Monday I was keen to actually get the bike looking like a bike, so that meant fitting forks and wheels.
And this was the bit that had me the most concerned, had I ordered the correct headset, would I balls up cutting the steerer tube etc etc. As it turns out, Cane Creek's headset finder balls up, or I misread the info and the top cup was an External and I needed a semi integrated one. Off to Sherwood Pines as I had to pick up my buddies wheels anyway and thankfully they had a couple of Hope headsets instock and they had seperate Top and Bottom cups so I managed to solve that little problem.
Actually fitting the headset was no real bother, though ghetto'ing the crown race onto the fork was amusing, especially as my dad was sleeping off nights upstairs....Oh well

Next step, judging where to cut the steerer tube... I had 35mm of spacers so fit forks, 30mm of spacers and the stem and mark where that all came to. Get out the trusty pipe cutter and make it do it's thing. Round and round and tighten it and round a bit more and suddenly I question myself, have I just ruined 600 quid of forks Arghhhh!! Time would tell.

Next fitting the Star Fangled doohickey... whack bash and now I would find out I had ballsed up the cut., Fit forks, spacers, Stem and top cap. Wow noice and toight, zero play in the headset. I was now a happy camper, everything else appeared to be simple.
Introduce the front wheel to the fork and tighten the 20mm QR, Rear wheel with it's shiny hope QR and it almost looks like a bike, now for the Bottom Bracket and chainset.

Apart from me failing to read the chain device idiots guide the BB and chain device fitting was really easy ( super easy once I read the guide haha) I spacer non drive side and 2 on the drive side as per the BB instructions, shame it took me 2 hours of fighting and swearing to find that out.

Front Mech and Rear Mech again simple after i'd spent the previous week checking youtube about everything to do with SRAM mechs. Only thing i'd not done was the wiggly bit that the B limit screw faces onto.... once that was sorted the mech did as it was supposed to.

Last steps really was fitting stuff to the handle bar, fitting seat post to bike, and saddle to seat post.

All that went fine and dandy so it was onto indexing the gears, and that went brilliantly and quickly. Set up the front first, Low limit, attached gear cable with enough tension to hold it on the granny ring. Shift to outer gear and set hi limit. Change up down up down and it shifts smoooooooothly. Rear Mech, same deal, low limit, cable, high limit, how does the rear shift, yup, smooth as you like!
Brakes... front was easy though the routing of the cable is still under debate, and the rear was easy once I realised I'd put the adapter on the wrong way around Embarassed To get the brakes bled I took a trip to Sherwood again and it was there that Dale the mechanic pointed out that I was a muppet and had fitted the Reverb back to front... THAT would explain the jaunty angle of the Saddle....Oh well that was easily fixed.

So I ended up with a very shiny and handsome El Guapo.

_MG_0047 by Andy M74, on Flickr

After a very warm road run to Cotham

IMG_0095 by Andy M74, on Flickr
And after it's first run out in a german forest...

IMG_0102 by Andy M74, on Flickr
And on closer inspection

IMG_0104 by Andy M74, on Flickr Actual DIRT!!!!

_MG_0049 by Andy M74, on Flickr

So the only real questions are, did I learn anything, was it worth it, would i do it again and is it as fun as it looks.....
I can most definately say YES to all of the questions. It's a bloody hoot and as I overcome my fear of hills and speed the more fun it will become. Both Shocks are a bloody dream as they are and i've barely started to tweak them. The geometry works for me and i'm glad I went with a small frame as it means my danglies have room for my inevitable c*ck ups, what does it weigh?? No bloody idea and i'll get back to you on that one, does it go up hills, yups, granny ring is a godsend and she climbs well enough Smile

Titus El Guapo V3

Last edited by Archaic on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:05 pm; edited 3 times in total

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
philsmin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liking that a lot Very Happy
redhotjoeypepper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Think I would have gone for the orange frame though Wink...seen a nice build with Crank Brothers Iodine wheels and copper coloured bling.
Archaic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a very close call between anodized black or bling orange SmileSmileSmile

Titus El Guapo V3
skeets

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice in black. a couple of lads in our club have the orange ones, they really rate them.

i think the black looks better though Wink
rockster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realise they came in black,that looks awesome.They get great write ups and have been a good price lately.
Archaic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until about two weeks ago they came only in orange, now they have black anodized, pearl white ( I think they call it) and raw to compliment the orange.

So I think I'm one of the first in Europe to have a non-orange one Smile

Titus El Guapo V3
chopperheys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice mate, you should be well chuffed with the build. I hope you're pleased with everything about it. Very Happy

Future build - Cannondale Chase
L1nds37

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats very nice Very Happy
Archaic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopper,

I am stoked beyond belief Wink it's fricking amazing despite my fear of slopes and all SmileSmile

Titus El Guapo V3
Jonny D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is a lovely bike.
If I see you around Pines I'll give you kudos on the build.

It is what it is.
thebiggoldfish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooooooh shiny bits in boxes, great looking bike mate and a cracking write up . . . . not at all jealous Laughing Laughing Laughing
bluearsedfly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking bike mate, well done!
cloudnine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those weeds need attention.

Stunning bike Cool
TypeR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely looking bike fella. Now you've been riding it for a few months, how are you finding it? I think I'm going to build my own full susser using the El Guapo frame so I'd be interested to know what you think Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: