Disc Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevmar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Disc Brakes Reply with quote

Hello,
new here,got a few questions ,
here's the first,
how do you service/improve the performance of disc brakes?
What's the best way to clean the rotor and with what,anything readily to hand in the house that could do this?
All in all general diy for brakes info needed.
Kev.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this is any help, but there are other articles on the site relating to disc brakes that may be useful:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=124

You could also try this degreaser from Halfords, aimed slecifically at disc brakes:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_1000 1_catalogId_10151_productId_216121_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__Car SelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_31545_crumb_33980-31270_parentcat egoryrn_31545

As I understand it, the general opinion seems to be that the cleaner your disc set up is then the more efficient it will be, it seems that grease or oil deposits on the pad/disc as a result of contamination during other maintenance operations are the biggest single factor affecting disc performance!!!

How true this is, I cannot comment as I prefer my "V" system cantilevers Embarassed

Denny69

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunners right...spraying WD40 and other spray lubes on or around your bike will lead to contamination of the disc and pads. If this happens what I do is remove the caliper, take out the pads (good practice for when you have to re-new them) and give them a rub over with fine wet and dry to get rid of the contamination then while the calipers off give the disc a good degreasing either a disc specific cleaner from mucoff or bikehut or I use the old tin of engine degreaser that's in me tool box another good cleaner is Mineralised methylated spirits (the purple stuff)....works a treat.

Bleeding them is a good way to improve performance and make them more efficient. The easiest way to do this is to buy a bleeding kit from a car shop (about 13 - 20) you'll see a schrader valve on one end cut it off and replace with a presta valve from an old inner tube (it's a tight squeeze but it goes in) Then all you do is fill the bottle with the correct brake fluid put the other tube on your bleed nipple on the caliper and open your fluid reservoir on the lever then, with a hand pump, SLOWLY pump air in through the presta valve, you'll see brake fluid go up through the tube...very messy!!

I am, of course assuming you have hydraulic disc brakes! if not then I feel a total a**e......

Laughing
kevmar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that,
meths it is then,
mind you I do have a tin of gunk degreaser somewhere,
designed for motor bike chain cleaning for my wifes gsx 750,
perhaps this would do.
Denny69

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell the wife that using a motor is BLOODY CHEATING!!!! Very Happy yeah gunk De-greaser will do the trick just make sure that the pads are cleaned too and don't breath in the dust if possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: