Does running help cycling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hendo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Does running help cycling Reply with quote

I am looking for suggestions on the best way to train which will help cycling, bear in mind road cycling is not an option, I'm thinking probably an exercise bike or those rollers but I don't really like using them, I don't smoke or drink and I train every day weights, boxing, circuit's and running but I feel mountain biking is in a world of its own due to the different inclines speeds etc, even when I ride paths when it's late in the summer I feel it's pointless due to being on flat ground

I used to do 'lampost' running which was Sprint from one lampost to the next and jog the next and repeat however I'm worried about the damage it will end up doing to my body

Another thought is going to the hilliest area I know and doing a run with loads of climbs

Is this a waste of time and do I either just need to get out on the bike or use a turbo trainer?

What do you do that you feel works? [/code]

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Hendo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify it's not not necessarily about increasing cycling stamina as much as it's about maintaining it, I carry on training all year round but I do feel I lose something whenever I have a spell when I haven't ridden
Rosebud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It builds up endurance, allowing your body to work better (as with any form of exercise). Your lung capicity and muscle fibers will benifit from this and the continued exercise will allow the body to maintian this and not (like me) regress into a cake eating jelly belly Sad
Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like road riding then I don't think you'd take to rollers or a turbo.............

Running would help your cycling in as much as that you are better doing some sort of physical exercise rather than nothing. It would help build leg strength, stamina and if done at the correct intensity, help improve or maintain your cardiovascular fitness.

I'd opt for the getting out and doing some hilly runs over varied terrain if you could, otherwise your "lampost" running isn't a bad idea, it's mainly a variation of "Fartlek" training.

Hendo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to do road riding but driving everyday I wouldn't feel confident/safe on these roads, one of the main reasons I like riding is because I'm out and about thats why im not sure on rollers, I run now but I feel it's all to comfortable, when you ride you put effort in because you've got to when on a hill or coming out of a turn, that's difficult to replicate I think even on rollers I'd end up coasting along, I'll try hitting hills and see how that goes and then it may be back to lamp posts
nuggsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to replicate, if it's not hard enough star running xc on walkers paths.
Personally I think it makes a massive difference

marcbrown46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 40 miles a week infant when I did my last marathon in October I was doing 70 miles a week and tbh nothing compares to proper mountain biking in particular long climbs ! You just have to get out there and build your way up !

It will help you to increase your lung capacity though which does help with your stamina and enable To go that bit longer !

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/nukeproof-mega-am-build-new-parts-t41951.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: