Getting ready for Etape Pennines/other sportive events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ally

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Getting ready for Etape Pennines/other sportive events Reply with quote

Earlier this year I was supposed to be doing the Etape Caledonia but had to cancel due to needing an operation. Long story short I ended up having to cancel the operation in the end anyway so missed out completely but they have saved my place for next year (apparently).

Anyway I'm cycling loads at the moment and really loving it, I feel great after having nailed a ride (apart from the ride to work which is only 10 miles and nearly destroys me and I have no idea why).

I am really tempted by the Etape Pennines this year having missed out on Caledonia but it looks like a bit of a ba**ard (4 Cat 4 climbs, 3 Cat 3 climbs over 80 miles with 8000ft elevation gain).

The event is 14 weeks away and I'm aiming to be at a good level of fitness for this.

I'm currently riding 20 miles a day, 2000ft of climbing and two cat 4 climbs. My longest distance so far is 30 miles with 2500ft of climbing in 2hr 20 mins and I felt fine afterwards (apart from a little saddle sore due to no proper shorts). Obviously this needs to increase, a lot.

I've been reading through this: http://www.etapepennines.co.uk/images/PDFs/SCOTT%20Sports%20Sportive%2 0Training%2012%20Week%20Plan%20%2812hrs%29%20%282%29.pdf which is a 12 week training programme of 10 hours a week which I think I can manage around work time.

Does anyone else have any other tips or pointers or general advice as to how to best tackle this? I can't get to a gym so it has to be either bike or home based. I have a turbo trainer and HRM at home but nothing else.

What kind of nutrition things do I need to be looking at? I have read a couple of articles but ended up confused Embarassed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49244979@N03/

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for Etape Pennines/other sportive events Reply with quote

ally wrote:

I'm currently riding 20 miles a day,..................... My longest distance so far is 30 miles ......................... Obviously this needs to increase, a lot.
:

You've basically answered your own question. Wink

Given the circumstances you describe I wonder about the relevance of the training plan you linked.

My plan of action would be to do at least one long ride per week, could that be a Sat or Sun and aim to do 50 mile and progress a tad each week and do these at a steady pace.

Use your 20 miles a day rides to work on different skills such as Recovery, Speed, Pushing on short climbs etc., etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: