Out on the roadie today.........
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunner

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Out on the roadie today......... Reply with quote

Well, Saturday, 30/05/08, what a cracking day for a ride Wink Wink

Could it really have got any hotter, Cool after what we have been used to recently..........

I set off about 1000 this morning with the intention of doing the local ride as posted in Cycling Weekly, and comented on here;

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/north-york-moors-route-from-c-w-t490.html

The weather was fantastic as I zipped along to Guisborough on my OCR Team Replica, and it was quite refreshing to be heading somewhere different as I normally head over the Moors or down towards Northallerton when on my roadie.

Through Guisborough and climbing up past Upleatham the roads were quite quiet and the views stunning, then there was a superb descent of Saltburn Bank followed by a long climb up to Brotton.
Then time for another downhill into Skinningrove, my first ever time here, with superb views out to sea, what I didn't expect was that climb out of the Bay, even with that cooling breeze from the sea I was rapidly overheating and losing body fluid at an appaling rate Embarassed Embarassed

I missed a turn here at the top of the bank and instead of taking the back road through Upton to Boltby, I ended up going into Loftus and following the A174 down into Staithes at some phenomenal speeds Laughing Laughing

The it was a right turn to Dalehouse and follow Roxby Beck to come out on the whitby side of Scaling Dam. Just after you make this right turn onto the Roxby road you are in for some serious climbing for quite a distance, and I've got to admit I was finding it heavy going with the heat Embarassed Embarassed

Turning onto the A171, I was soon picking up speed again, but I was running a little behind time and was concerned that if I turned off to Danby and did the route as written, knowing the terrain that lay ahead, I was going to be well behind target and late for other commitments Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

So I ploughed straight along the A171, and down Birke Brow, keeping up a fantastic turn of speed to whizz me through Guisborough, back on target now for time, I turned off for Great Ayton to add a few more miles to my ride. I was able to power along this road through Ayton and onto Seamer and back home.

All in all, about 56 mile in total at a pace of 15.5 m.p.h.

Just got to find the time now to get out and do the route as it is written,(but starting/ending from Stainton) as it really is a cracking route.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Denny69

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds quality Gunner....I'm jealous...I was stuck in a bloody tin can of a bus ALL F! DAY!! Might try that one when the fitness gets a bit better.
HarryB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great day for being on the road bike. Unlike today.

I had a cracking ride. From Wolviston services, out to Thorpe Thewles onto Great Stainton and then to Middleton St George annd on to Croft. Headed out towards Richmond and then turned towards Northallerton. Had lunch sitting on the sunshine and headed back via Appleton Wiske and then Middleton one Row, Redmarshall and home.

A fantastic day and pretty pleased with 74.26 miles at ab average speed of 18mph. Not many hills though. Quite undulating but a brilliant route entirely on minor roads. 2279ft of ascent.

Life doesn't get any better.

Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HarryB wrote:
It was a great day for being on the road bike. Unlike today.

Laughing Laughing

And here we are today, Flaming June, as they say.

Wink Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Road Bike Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: