HRM newbie Advice needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chilievans

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: HRM newbie Advice needed Reply with quote

I've just bought a Bryton hrm and as I'm new to these things I was hoping you would be able to help me out.

I commute to work almost every day but its only 5 miles each way. Even though its only a short distance I was hoping to use the HRM ti turn it into an effective workout but how do I go about it?

On weekends I tend to go for a longer 30+miler

BTW I ride a MTB if that helps

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
scoop940

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are looking for a guide on training in Heart rate zones.

To start with though out the monitor on and see what your heart rate is for your normal style of riding then look at how you can change it to fit into zone training. 5 miles is quite a short distance to get much from it though but the 30 miler is definitely long enough.

Get an idea first though and you also need to work out your maximum heart rate so you can work out the zones. The 220-age isn't necessarily right, that would say mine was 179 but I have seen it measure at 184. There are other more complicated equations to get a closer estimate

Disclaimer for the next bit - this should only be attempted after seeking medical advise or with medical supervision - i.e. it's not my fault Wink

Find a long climb that will take about 5 minutes to go up, each minute increase you effort until you get to the point you can't anymore, then stand and sprint for 15 seconds - should get you something close to your max HR.

You can pay for that test as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: