Ashamed and upset at my drop in fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rampant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Ashamed and upset at my drop in fitness Reply with quote

Due to working away for 4 months I didn't get on a real bike for nigh on 5 months. While I was away, though, I did try to get on a gym bike as often and for as long as possible.

However, on returning home, thinking I was still in reasonable fitness, it turns out my legs have gone and died on me.

I have a new road bike that I've been out on just a couple of times, including today - a nice easy little 18mile loop - at least "easy" was how it was supposed to be.

Before I went away I was doing 30+ mile loops of road and cycle tracks on my MTB, always carrying a bit of weight in a hydration sack with tools and spares, etc... and normally made an average speed of 16-17mph for the ride. Today I only manged a measly 14mph average over the 18 miles and this was on a road bike carrying no weight! And using SPDs...

I hope my fitness returns soonest, 'cos that is just embarassing Sad

Could a change in body position changing from MTB to roadie have a negative effect as well???

Cheerz

Mark H

2014 Cube PELOTON roadie, also with a few bling parts Smile
http://www.mtbe.co.uk/cube-peloton-after-today-s-ride-t43381.html

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Kajjal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are experiencing is completely normal. The only way to be fit for cycling especially mountain biking is to regularly ride your bike(s). Gym work cannot simulate how roads vary in smoothness / steepness and holding a bike round corners. Off road the bike handling skills are used a lot more so this is more noticeable. You have done well to keep your base fitness.

I know how you feel as I work abroad a lot at the moment and cram in two, two hour road rides over the weekend with random riding during the week.
PulledByAMalamute

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been out for 2m now and probably won't for another 2m and that includes the fat-holidays. Not even on a gym bike. I dread to think how 2014 will start. I was told if you don't go out once a week, then you'll start losing it and i agree.

Previous bikes
- Canyon Torque EX Vertride (2014)
- Canyon Nerve AM 6 (2012)
jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PulledByAMalamute wrote:
I've not been out for 2m now and probably won't for another 2m and that includes the fat-holidays. Not even on a gym bike. I dread to think how 2014 will start. I was told if you don't go out once a week, then you'll start losing it and i agree.

man you may as well give up now Laughing

i had 3 weeks off my bike a few months back and really couldn't believe the difference. My issue at the moment is in the lighter months I run with the dog for a few miles to keep fit as well as biking but in the dark I keep twisting my ankle or falling over roots so have to walk. it is amazing how it changes. Will have to run form Jan though as i have entered a triathlon in April.

Seddey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally know where people are coming from here. For one reason or another I have had about 5 weeks off and finally got out last weekend. Only did 2/3 of the usual distance on the MTB, canal tow path, farm tracks and some single file paths, and I was completely wiped out by the time I got home. Took longer to cover the distance too! Must make a major effort to get out this weekend and in the week again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: