Riding during keto diet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirky72

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Riding during keto diet Reply with quote

I've done a full keto diet a few time in the past normally for 2 to 3 months either side of Xmas so wouldn't do much real riding just steady state on my exercise bike.

However I'm 3 weeks in to the latest cut and can't help getting out Nd riding proper during this good weather.

My problem is my energy just seems to suddenly dissipate, I can be all well and then its just like my tank is drained the next minute.

I went for a spin out on my cx bike in the week and all was fine for the first 30 miles , then suddenly my energy disappeared and I felt really sick, light headed and generally a mess, the last 7 to 10 miles home were a nightmare, with many a stop and just coasting slowly to get home in one peace.

On e in the house I just flaked out for an hour, had a bath and then had to jump out to be violently sick in the loo. I was a shivering mess for the rest of the day and night. I've never experienced this aft any ride or other exercise before.

Does any body have experience of riding through a keto?

Also , I have one cheat meal every Saturday night, would it be best to ride on the Saturday before this with no carbs in the tank or hold on and ride on Sunday morning feeding off whatever carbs are there and also helping to burn it up and get back into keto more quickly..

Only 2 or 3 weeks to go I think as m struggling with much more and not far off my target weight and b/f, but would be useful to know for future reference.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
olddude

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what a keto diet is, but you give a nice description of low blood sugar! Very Happy

Don't underfuel then try and exercise - no good will come of it.

Kirky72

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just means you are in ketonic state due to having no or very little carbs in the body, you then burn fat for fuel.

I'm not sure there is any link between low dietary sugar and the effect on low blood sugar.
olddude

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirky72 wrote:
It just means you are in ketonic state due to having no or very little carbs in the body, you then burn fat for fuel.

I'm not sure there is any link between low dietary sugar and the effect on low blood sugar.

If you are burning fat for fuel you will be producing ketones, which are a by-product of burning fat, and are also toxic to the body.
Fat is a slow-release fuel.
Also, did you know that you will be breaking down muscle at the same time as burning fat?

You can't train without fuel - well you can, but you'll be ill.
Off to look at the keto diet.......

Checked it out. Its a fad diet/ BUT if you do it properly you should be carb-loading for two days out of seven. And you should be checking your urine for ketones.
Anyway, I can see how you can fit this around bodybuilding (pump some iron, feel ill, stop), but not around an endurance sport like cycling (15 miles out, feel ill, 15 miles back - more ill).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: