Scott Speedster 20 (first ever road bike)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chopperheys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Scott Speedster 20 (first ever road bike) Reply with quote

Hey all! So I decided to take advantage of the ride2work scheme through work. I wanted a bike that I could commute on but also use to improve my fitness (ill health has made me fat) and to add a different aspect to riding than MTbing. So after debating over hybrid, CX or road bike, I decided to turn to the dark side and go the full hog. I was torn between 5 bikes, the Scott, Trek Madone, Hoy 002, Spesh Allez and Cannondale Caad. I chose the Scott because I thought I was getting more bang for my buck with it over the others, although the Spesh did almost nick it. Here's a bog standard mobile pic -

I've had it just short of 2 weeks now and I absolutely love it. So far I've managed to shave about 3-4 minutes off my average commute time, and every to,e I mount it I feel like I need to push that bit harder to beat my time constantly, I never felt that on my other bikes. I do feel a little stretched on it bit I'm not sure if that's because it's a new ride position or if I just need to maybe swap about spacers and stem size. Spec wise I think it's full 105 groupset and syncross finishing kit. Sadly this will be used through winter, so it may take a beating but time will soon tell.

Being a complete road newbie all views, comments, helpful info, handy tips and things that I need to pay close attention are very welcomed. Thanks

Future build - Cannondale Chase

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely bike. Just watch out for the pot holes!! I had to commute for the last 2 weeks due to the car being fixed and loved it. You get the occasional idiot driver but i travel in before most so it's not too bad and when it is busy on the way home I go the long way through the country lanes.
I still have my lights on in daylight and a bright yellow cover on my rucksack and it makes me feel slighlty safer. When I can see a parked car or central obsticle i do position myself early and will "own" the road (in other words I won't just run along the gutter to the last second). Once past the obstruction I quickly move over and always thank the next car past. Not had any issues so far and feel that if a driver can see me trying to be quick to move out the way they don't mind.
I also find I just want to go faster and have reduced my 25 minute commute to 19.34!
Now back in a hire car and missing my bike Sad

Ashleydwsmith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesus, chopper on a roadie. guessing it will be blinged before too long.

awesome!
Gunner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damned good bike. Wink
bradbrad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice that mate !

I've hardly used me moutian bike since I brought me road bike- I love road cycling.

Was talking to seve about tyres for winter riding last weekend he recommends gator skins- very good in the wet and quite tough.

Steve Kish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Gatorskins should serve you well but you should de-flint them if you're riding on crappy and flinty roads, especially in the wet.

There's also talk of the Conti 4 Seasons as an alternative and although they seem to grip marginally better, they don't last as long and cost a fair bit more. That's probably because they use a slightly softer rubber compound - for lottery winners only ...?

chopperheys

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jimbo - I have a pretty good understanding of road positioning and staying safe on the roads, I can see it from both points having cycled a lot on the roads but also from driving motorbikes and cars. Sadly it's not just potholes that I have to watch as some of the grids are the wrong way, so the slits are parallel with th curb and I'm scared of the skinny wheels/tyres falling in lol.

@Ash - No need to bling this bike, I absolutely love it the way it is. Only addition to be made in the interim is adding some clip-on mudguards. Possible future changes would be road pedals (currently using MTB ones) andsome oval bars.

Thanks for the comments Brad, Gunner and Steve! I will need to start thinking about tyres I guess. I've been a but naive in my thinking of road tyres bcause they don't have tred so figured the only difference would be weight. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed I currently have Scwalbe Lugano on, but again I haven't read up on them but they seem ok to me.

Future build - Cannondale Chase
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides (Road) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: