Hit rock bottom & desprate to lose weight
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shane-25

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Hit rock bottom & desprate to lose weight Reply with quote

Well woke up today feeling like crap. Feeling fat and just need to get my act together.

Tried before but failed, the gym i cant stick to, dont enjoy running.
2 things i like are walking and trail riding only

So im 6 ft tall. 18 stone and need to shift it

Any tips on what foods to eat, times to eat,
When to eat ( before or after cyclin. )

My job aint helpin as i am a driver for 10 hours a day, 6 days a week
I drink 1-2 litres of water a day, no pop

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Dale
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega 3 & CLAs are good supplements to take to help weight loss, cheap too.

Most important thing is to cut your carbs, you may feel a bit crappy but replace them with fats as a source of energy. Here's a page for you to read and get an idea of what are good fats: http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm

Break your meals down into smaller meals throughout the day, preferably around 6 meals if you can fit that much in.

Other than that, keep up your cycling - cycling is great for weight loss Smile

SteveT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone through the same thing recently. For me, it's about planning and organising your meals and doing the same with your training.

Weights are a great burner as you continue to burn calories just by your muscles repairing. If you can, get to a gym 3 times a week. Concentrate on a different body part each time.

I tend to go for 1: biceps/triceps 2: chest 3: back. You can find lots of advice on different exercises on youtube/mens fitness. Do about 40mins-1hr and then 30-40 mins cardio. If you can cycle to the gym, ideal.

In terms of pure cardio - I'm lucky as I live near a park which is pretty hilly. I just spend my time biking up those hills as quickly as i can, take my time getting back down to the bottom again and repeat - Get the Rocky soundtrack on your iPod. Sounds corny, but it works. If you drink coffee - have a strong black coffee before you go out - it'll raise your heart rate and you'll burn more calories.

In terms of diet. Getting you head round carbs is key. There are good carbs and bad - it's just about getting the right carbs at the right time. Straight away, rule out white rice/pasta/bread. Wholemeal for all three and even then not too many - weight out your pasta/rice. I try not to eat anyof these too late at night. Porridge/Baked pots are good, but again - not too late. I'm getting to the point where through exercise, I need to watch what I eat less and less. Try not to eat anthing processed. eg: chicken breast rather that the reformed meat crap. No pop. No chocolate. Drink plenty water - green tea / black coffee are great - if you have a sweet tooth eat dried fruit.

Good luck mate - I've got back onto this for the last couple of weeks and I feel great.

It's important as well, not to let this sort of thing get on top of you. Once a week/fortnight just eat what you want. Pizza or whatever, it'll make it easier to resist knowing you can at least have a cheat day, and it'll keep your metabolism up.
Wegotitugetit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hit rock bottom & desprate to lose weight Reply with quote

Shane-25 wrote:
Well woke up today feeling like crap. Feeling fat and just need to get my act together.

my biggest advice and trust me it works go and join a slimming world group

there is now around 4 -5 guys just in my class there and there must be around 30 in total between all the groups

they can show you what to eat and what not to you dont have to always weight and measure they can help you be sensible with your food

you jsut need determination alsong as you have it go to a group it is worth it

i had lsot over 3 stone but lost the plot and lots of family problems and put 2 back on now but lost 1 and half pound last week and didnt do nack all for it

you can eat and loose weight excercise will make it come off quicker though

im back on it now and can already feel my waist going down in a week my trousers are tight now i can fit them over my belly again lol so hopefully a good loss this week

just bought s new bike old was seen better days and working at it to loose it
ARCHIELAD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveT wrote:
I've gone through the same thing recently. For me, it's about planning and organising your meals and doing the same with your training.

Weights are a great burner as you continue to burn calories just by your muscles repairing. If you can, get to a gym 3 times a week. Concentrate on a different body part each time.

I tend to go for 1: biceps/triceps 2: chest 3: back. You can find lots of advice on different exercises on youtube/mens fitness. Do about 40mins-1hr and then 30-40 mins cardio. If you can cycle to the gym, ideal.

In terms of pure cardio - I'm lucky as I live near a park which is pretty hilly. I just spend my time biking up those hills as quickly as i can, take my time getting back down to the bottom again and repeat - Get the Rocky soundtrack on your iPod. Sounds corny, but it works. If you drink coffee - have a strong black coffee before you go out - it'll raise your heart rate and you'll burn more calories.

In terms of diet. Getting you head round carbs is key. There are good carbs and bad - it's just about getting the right carbs at the right time. Straight away, rule out white rice/pasta/bread. Wholemeal for all three and even then not too many - weight out your pasta/rice. I try not to eat anyof these too late at night. Porridge/Baked pots are good, but again - not too late. I'm getting to the point where through exercise, I need to watch what I eat less and less. Try not to eat anthing processed. eg: chicken breast rather that the reformed meat crap. No pop. No chocolate. Drink plenty water - green tea / black coffee are great - if you have a sweet tooth eat dried fruit.

Good luck mate - I've got back onto this for the last couple of weeks and I feel great.

It's important as well, not to let this sort of thing get on top of you. Once a week/fortnight just eat what you want. Pizza or whatever, it'll make it easier to resist knowing you can at least have a cheat day, and it'll keep your metabolism up.

When do you work your legs ?? Instead of working disco muscles, would recommend full body workouts 3 x a week doing squats, deadlifts, clean and press , bench press, shoulder press.

If you wanna lose weight mate best advice is sort diet out no matter what anyone says you cannot out train a bad diet, it's not about eating less either its about eating properly.

Good luck keep at it don't look for a quick fix either there are unfortunately no shortcuts
Adaminnotts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat everything you do now. Just minimise the portions... That way you don't loose will-power. One trick I have learned from a friend I used to train with is to drink I pint of water before each meal. And try not to eat 6 hours before bed. Apart from that... Some steady but longer bike distances... And more regular.
CiganoBoxer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hit rock bottom & desprate to lose weight Reply with quote

Shane-25 wrote:

I am a heavyweight love my boxing , i am 6ft 1 and 104kg bodyweight but i have been 110kg ,i run 20 miles a week,go boxing and cycle,early morning runs are the key.
If you want some advise,when you are your weight mate there is not much science to dropping a few pounds .
Eat smaller portions and wring your carbs out of your diet.
Before you go to work get up an hour and half earlier in the morning an jog or if you can run then fast walk on an empty stomach.
Running in the morning is always better than at night as it it naturally makes u buzz your tits of for the rest of the day so it shouldn't bother your work day driving , if i run at night i have trouble sleeping after .
Browny31

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been there and beat it....all I did was 40 mins of cross trainer 3 or 4 times a week, and light weights....diet wise I just lived on meat and veg.

white meats, chicken pork, turkey and boiled veg or even roasted veg in some light olive oil....you can still eat loads whilst dieting, just minimise the portions and eat little and often..

post up a typical days food that you consume and we can go from there. and be honest Very Happy
Stevie Trail

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on the 5-2 diet, that'a 2 days of nomore than 600cals and other days its heathly eating, but sticking to around 1800 cals, Saturday is my failing though as I like a few beers and a takeaway, Sunday is a roast day but I do watch what I eat I don't snack or eat biccies and crips like I used to over the weekend, but its basicly a 3 and 2 diet in 6 weeks I've lost just over a stone.
European Bob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 18+ stone in October and could not keep up with any of the lads around the trail it was really pissing me off , finally got off my a**e (not saying that is what you need to do ,but I did need to do it ) and stopped blaming everything else .

joined pure gym started doing cardio work outs but made no difference so November I signed up to a personal trainer 2 times a week , just over 3 stone lighter now and last time I went out on a ride with some lads off here I was more than keeping up with them I now enjoy the trails and can hold my own .

the biggist thing I learnt was portion control and my diet (hate that word ) EATING PLAN now is based on white meats good carbs brown basmati rice ect low fats so basicly

protein carbs fats

don't move away from resistance work outs as muscle burns more calories so when you are away from the gym the body still burns calories .

as for cardio its hard but if you can do fasting cardio (before breakfast ) it will work much better I do 4 spin classes a week all before breakfast I think that has really helped me

I have also been told to drop my Byetta injections for my diabetes and can now control it of diet alone which is just so good I hate having to inject twice a day

I have 2 stone to go so I can be at 13 stone I may stop then depending on how I feel

good luck mate and don't give up

CUBE ATTENTION 2013

ORANGE SUB5 2003 1x10 (34tf-42trex-11 rear)

2013 ON-ONE Inbreed SSFR 34-18
dewey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of good advice in this thread. The simple answer is to try different things and see what you like. Its really important that whatever you do doesn't feel like a chore. If it does you simply won't keep it up.

I'm currently on the 5:2 diet. Actually I don't think of it as a diet as to me that says short term, when its actually a lifestyle change for me. I eat 600 cals on 2 days of the week. The other 5 days I'm pretty sensible but I'll eat a small chocolate bar if I want (the ones from Aldi are good they are fun size ie smaller). First couple of fasting days were quite tough, but drinking lots of water helps. I now buy those cartons of soup (around 200 to 300 cals for the whole carton depending on which one, very nice and filling). I then have a meal I've cooked from hairy bikers or an egg salad etc.

I cut out smoothies and juice, they are full of sugar. I just drink water and the occasional cider(no more than 2pts a week) , particularly important on 2 fast days.

I lost 1 stone in about 8-10 weeks. Its now so easy I don't even think about it.

I highly recommend you get buy yourself both copies of the Hairy fat dieters books, they are awesome! Quick meals, low in cals and they use normal food. But importantly they are v.tasty!

As others have said, plan your meals and cut out processed food where possible, that way you will be less likely to snack or get a takeaway in as you'll have a nice meal that you've prepared.

I'm lucky, I have found a sport I love, which burns 1800 cals a session, I play badminton at least x2 a week. I've now discovered cycling again (Im 45), that I do most weekends with the family. I also bought T25 (insanity) workout programme, as I hate gyms, also my time is precious and I'd rather spend 45 mins less messing about going to and from gym and just do it at home when I want to. Yes its £100 but you can play it again and again and it works!

Mixing up your exercise like this also has benefits and stops you getting bored.

The only thing stopping you is you, but you already know this. If you want to succeed you will. Little changes really add up. Keep posting on here if you want support and let us know your progress. Good luck!
Kajjal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving 10 hours a day six days a week is very, very hard work. If you can get up early enough for even 30 minutes on the bike a few days a week that will help. Diet is also important so I would look at easy to prepare healthy food you can take with you in the day and the freezer is handy for healthier eating in the evening.

I wouldn't worry so much about losing weight to begin with and try to exercise regularly and eat as healthily as you can. Keep clear of junk food and processed food as best you can so you feel better as well.

Good luck Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: