Newcastle livin'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubist88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Newcastle livin' Reply with quote

Maybe this is a little premature but I have an interview for a job in Newcastle that I am pretty confident about. This would mean relocating.

Can anyone recommend some decent places to live in Geordieland? I'm aware there are a few cats from round this way who populate the forum. Laughing

Due to my dog, I'd be looking for somewhere with a garden and somewhere with nice places to walk and MTB.

Suggestions on a postcard please Wink

Job is in Newcastle City Centre.

TIA

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
cheap as chips

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure on the housing front (although jesmond is a nice part) but the city centre is fantastic, it has great shops, cool bars and even a decent bit of culture with live music, art gallerys and museams galore! trail wise, hamsterly, dalby and guisboro/ north york moors are a short car ride down the road.

one day your life will flash before your eyes,
....make sure its worth watching.
spacemonkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with most things it will all depend on how much money you have to spend.

Lots of nice areas in and around Newcastle The whole area is well served by the Metro and buses.

Don't rule out Gateshed too, just over the river and very some nice areas too.

I have been all over our great and glorious land and I would not move away from the North east for any amount of money, I know many people think its a hole but that's just untrue.

Good luck with the Job Wink
Cubist88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much lads, should've mentioned due to visiting the family of an ex many years ago in Morpeth I'm quite familiar with Tyneside, always found it a friendly, lively place.

Glad to hear you like it that much Space Monkey, in fact many years ago I was offered a gig with a famous musician that lived up there, I considered going then and was super excited but the plans fell through when he moved abroad.

Fingers crossed though, I could do with a change Wink
hodgy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already mentioned this would be relative to the amount of dosh you have.... If money is no object try Darras Hall in Ponteland and join most of the Newcastle United footballers... Handy for the airport, Cheviot Hills and the road up to Glentress .
Otherwise ....Wylam, Corbridge & Hexham areas are all on a train line to commute into the city centre...are rural and close to the A68 to take you south for Hammers, Bolts Law.... This also takes you north for The Cheviots, Kielder, Glentress.... And puts the North Pennines right on your doorstep with great riding on Hexhamshire Common....and numerous rides out of Allendale.
These areas are all less than an hour's commute from the city centre giving you the best of both worlds.
Best of luck with the job...I'm sure it's a move you won't regret.😃

spacemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never even give Hexham a thought Embarassed

Some of the villages on the outskirts look very nice too.

You really are spoiled for choice, you can have city living, coastal living or countryside living all within a 20 min drive of Newcastle, even if you use a bike you can get just about anywhere you want without using too many roads all thanks to the old railway lines that were all over the place.
Jamie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could even live in Sunderland Wink
spacemonkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie wrote:
You could even live in Sunderland Wink

Yet another great place to live Laughing

I'm a Gateshead lad and lived here for about 15 years. Don't think I would ever move back to "Geordie land"

Anyway, that's it from me. If I go on about the northeast any more I will expect payment from the northeast tourist board.
Cubist88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks guys! some truly great replies and advice, I've had a look at some of those villages and they are absolutely stunning! look like some nice places to live. Based on a quick calculation, I would probably be looking at about £500PCM in terms of rent.

I also drive so commuting isn't really a problem, although the closer to the city centre, the better (fuel isn't getting any cheaper Laughing )

If and when the time gets closer, I will post some links to some properties and peeps can tell me if they're in areas to avoid!

Thanks again guys!! Massively appreciated Cool Cool Cool Cool
spacemonkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You moving up north then? Wink
Cubist88

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacemonkey wrote:
You moving up north then? Wink

Didn't get the job mate. Shame really, I may as well say what it was, it was working at Newcastle College in the recording studios. During the interview I was asked what part of Middlesbrough I was from (which my friend from 'Boro found hilarious when I told her that Laughing ) and I said I was from Warrington. So we discussed the likelihood of moving and it didn't seem feasible the job started on Tuesday 02/09 and I was on holiday until last Monday 25/08 - still one of the best interviews I've ever done though but logistics were not on my side.

Thanks for all your help though. Returning for the interview made me realise how much I love the place!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Off-topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: