Heart rate and cadence monitoring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roberto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Heart rate and cadence monitoring Reply with quote

Was going to leave hr monitoring until next year but saw the Cateye Q3a jobbie on sale for £75 down from £225 and did the impulse purchase thingy, totally not like me as I normally procrastinate Laughing

Down side, the missus wants the kitchen painting in return Crying or Very sad

Not sure if the cateye thingy is any good, but I've always had cateye stuff and its always been solid reliable kit.

So from what I gather, I need to half kill myself on the trainer to find out my max heart rate, then do rides without going over a certain.

Wouldn't it be great to find that I've been over doing it, and that not only will I get fitter more quickly but alwso enjoy the ride more if I slow down Smile

Think my cadence is quite high already, as went for a group ride yesterday and my leg speed seemed quicker than others Smile

So, are there any good guides available regarding hr monitoring?

cheers guys

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look through the very comprehensive information to be found here:

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/heart-rate-training-zone-calculator-and-training -resource-t11112.html

Wink

Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you are a Strava user, not sure if it's only applicable to Premium Members though, they have quite a good H/R estimation tool.
the last starfighter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So from what I gather, I need to half kill myself on the trainer to find out my max heart rate, then do rides without going over a certain.

It sounds like you're talking about LSD training... Long Steady Distance, not the drug Smile

LSD is usually done through the winter months to develop and maintain 'base' fitness.

Although of course, most training consists of hitting zones. So rarely full on all the time. Lots to read up about. I'm defo no expert myself! I find these things information overload personally, with different people claiming different things, and you end up more confused than when you started!

Roberto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading the manual for about 2 hours so far. Up till now I have managed to get the wristwatch successfully mounted to my wrist and the tyre circumference set.

As the Mrs wants to spend the next two days in sunny Blackpool, I'll be lucky to get going with it before I go back to work on Sat

At least in Blackpool I will be able to accurately calibrate the altitude on said wristwatch, as its going to be beautiful bathing weather Laughing

Roberto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner, most of the links on the HR monitoring page are dead, the Bike Radar one was simple and interesting though.
giantAstax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Heart rate and cadence monitoring Reply with quote

Roberto wrote:
So from what I gather, I need to half kill myself on the trainer to find out my max heart rate, then do rides without going over a certain

You don't need to work out your max HR to achieve results using an HR monitor for training but you will need to set correct HR limits for most of your training.

Check out Phil Mafetone who advocates MAF training based around your aerobic threshold. He says you can use all sorts of complex scientific approaches and measurement to identify your MHR and Aerobic Threshold or you can use 180 bpm minus your age plus or mins 5 bpm. You then subtract 10 from this figure and that gives you a working range, upper to lower. Train within this range, nearer the upper is better, to build stron aerobic fitness. So for me that 180-54 plus 5 = 131 less 10, so my MAF training range is 121 to 131. But don't take my word for it check out the link above. Phil also has a new(isn) informative book on endurance fitness.

Also check out Joe Friel who is the guy behind TrainingPeaks. He has a good website and several good books on the subject.

So lots of low intensity MAF training and short bursts of high intensity intervals is the way to go and you don't need to know your MHR for any of it.

Hope this helps.
Roberto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, already got the HR monitor so might as well use it, but hopefully will have a new bike tonight to mount the sensors on.

I'm hoping to swap 30 mile sufferfests for 30 mile strolls and high intensity intervals and get the same or better results. Very Happy

Gunner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roberto wrote:
Gunner, most of the links on the HR monitoring page are dead, the Bike Radar one was simple and interesting though.

Sorry about that Roberto, when I get a chance I'll try and update/remove/add new. I know you are on Strava, are you a Premium Member, some of the Sufferfest Videos are on there if I recall correctly free to use for such members, they are very motivational.

Roberto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I'm not a premium member, as yet, I'm getting as much as I need from Strava so far, I will explore what other features it has and see if it will help keep me motivated thanks.
simonrobinson415

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roberto wrote:
No I'm not a premium member, as yet, I'm getting as much as I need from Strava so far, I will explore what other features it has and see if it will help keep me motivated thanks.

From my experience you wanna find you fitness levels ie 20 min max 1 hour max and 4 hour max avg heart rates before winter very little point starting any monitoring without these or base training.

From this you can look at improving them in turn and it won't happen overnight. Set mini segments up of 10 n 25 miles to focus any training on so you can watch your ability grow.

Cadence wants to be between 80-90 no more or ul burn out n less ul do your knees no favours. Drills of high and low cadence help blood flow and can increase strength and flexibility but alot of cadence is developed off the bike too but that's a tough cookie to master and boring

Roberto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the age of 45 and about a stone overweight, incremental gains should still be possible for me as Ive not been cycling a year yet.

BUT where most guys are happy to maintain fitness over winter, I am hoping to gain speed and endurance.

its good to know that I could do LSD on the trainer, last winter i just slogged it out for half an hour at a time.

simonrobinson415

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roberto wrote:
At the age of 45 and about a stone overweight, incremental gains should still be possible for me as Ive not been cycling a year yet.

BUT where most guys are happy to maintain fitness over winter, I am hoping to gain speed and endurance.

its good to know that I could do LSD on the trainer, last winter i just slogged it out for half an hour at a time.

with a good structure trainer work outs are great and help minimise time too as your always pedaling and its safe no risk of slipping of or crashing in the ice.

as you have only just at the beginning of the cycling craze its a great chance to start with a wealth of knowledge off the likes of steve n gunner and the others.

ive just done a whole year of base riding very rarely go out to push hard my hilly 100mile rides have gone from 13.5mph avg steady away now to 15.5mph keeping a lower heart rate dont get chance to do many flat ones. my evening flat riding had jumped from 15.5mph for 2hours to 17.5mph my pushing pace is from 19 to 23

time goes so quick i can remember when i started i was doing a 9mile loop and was f***ed

very glad ive stuck at it hope to here of big rides next summer
from you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: